Thread: -- Almost accident when doing squats - please read

-- Almost accident when doing squats - please read

I had a horrible experience while doing squats this morning

I usually place a flat bench below me when doing squats to guage how deep to squat to.

Today while setting a new PR with an extremely heavy set, I let myself go too low and accidentally let my butt rest on the bench.

BIG mistake, cuz once i let myself rest on it, all the weight stress immediately shifted from my legs to my back, which for a second, looked as though I was doing a ridiculous seated press.

I coudn't control the weight and had to lean forward to let the entire bar slide off the top of my neck. Thank god for the safety rack, otherwise i'd hate to think what might happen.

Though most of you experienced lifters would know this already ( and probably sound like common sense anyways), I just wanna point this out for those who don't:

Do not allow yourself to (even accidentally) rest your butt on a bench in the middle a heavy squat tuttut

I've gotta go look for some ice now, in case my lumbar hurts like mad tommorow.

ouch.
    Don't eat the yellow snow

It's good that your okay bro. I know what you are talking about, I squat in my basement without a rack or spotter. I just raise the bars of my olympic up, and rest the bar on there to get started, then I put it back on.

It can be scary sometimes, especially trying to get the last rep out.

Same type of thing happened me when doing standing military presses(behind neck). Scuffed up my neck.

Whenever i get pinned to the box i just dump the weight forward. If you have a spotter make sure to never dump the weight backwards! Just slam it forwards and dont worry about the gym management getting mad, your spotter could get hurt really bad if the weight went back on ya
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Qea,
    Although it has never happened to me and I am a newbie to this heavy stuff but I will take heed to your advice.
    Thats definitely a great tip for me.

Don't go so close to failure! It's not worth the risk! Failure doesn't matter either, just keep going up in weight. I went way over my PB one day while working in with a guy, I got 2 reps, went for a third and got completely stuck. Dropped the weights down to the safety (which was really low) and fucked my back up good. I can still feel it to this day.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    That's why I only go to 315*10. I know I can do more, but I want to be able to get in about 315*15 before I go up, that way I don't get THAT close to failure. glad you're ok man, be careful.

Thanks for your concern guys, I really appreciate it.

Actually, the issue isn't squatting to failure. In fact, I was repping out pretty ok at that time too.

What i'm trying to point out is, the danger of resting your butt on the bench/box, because once you do that, all the stress of the weight is shifted away from your legs and onto your back. (i.e. you get pinned between your butt and the barbell)

VERY bad.

Regardless of how light the weight seems when u are squatting it, it'll feel a whole lot different once the force of plates rest on your lower back
    Last edited by Qea; 02-15-2002 at 06:46 PM.

as long as you dont bounce or hit the bench hard it should not hurt you
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Originally posted by Accipiter
    That's why I only go to 315*10. I know I can do more, but I want to be able to get in about 315*15 before I go up, that way I don't get THAT close to failure. glad you're ok man, be careful.
    How deep do you go? And be honest.

I'm sure the guy who was squatting next to us in the gym today would say he squatted 275 for 6-8, but not even one rep was low enough to even be considered a squat. I feel like I am the only fugger who goes low enough.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Banned

Simple solution

Simply squat in the power rack as low as you can.
    You don't have to put a bench to make sure you go low enough. Just stop when you calves touching your thighs.

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    teh bench thing is very dangerous; if u do fail, u'll sit on the bench b4 the bb hits the safety rack. u shoudl develop an idea on how deep u are, usually, it's about 2-3in above the safety rack

always have a spotter to slow down the weight to the safety rack when u fail
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

I just throw the weight behind me and walk through if I can't get it.

Squats are the most dangerous exercise! I see this done all the time in the gym, but once someone got seriously hurt doing what you did. Some army guy weighing only 120 pds goes to the squat rack and loads 405 pds on the bar and places a bench between his legs while I was on my 5th set on hack squats. Everyone of course stops and watches this kid unrack 405 and starts to desend but instead, the weight falls down crashing into the bench breaking it in half, and the kid ended going to the Emergency Room for a broken back, paying $200 for the broken bench, $1000 for the transportation to the ER, and the medical bill was $2000+, and he was banished from the gym..... all for what? To prove to the room that he could squat 405 going 2 inches down.....I guess it was a new knee workout? The point is, benches between your legs is unnecessary if you know your limit, have a good partner who is capable of spotting you (a must for squat), and using proper form. I believe beginning weightlifters in the gym, let ego get the best of them, and in most cases, they get injured.
    405 Deadlift
    275 Bench
    365 Squat

broke a metal bench in half?

I saw the title of this thread and my child-like mind was anticipating another kind of "accident." Dammit, why'd you have to get me all giggly and excited and then just relay some story that didn't involve narrowly avoiding taking a big dump in your pants. tuttut

^ is a horny teenager.
    LOL anyone ever get stuck under a decline bench....i almost died, it was pretty funny, after about 5 minutes of struggling i put the weight on my hips and sat up, next thing i know im sliding down the bench backwards, eventually i decided to just let the weights slide off, after about 6 minutes

who ever did a weight on deadlift or squat knowing that it was way past their limit and ended up hurting themselves?
    405 Deadlift
    275 Bench
    365 Squat

Originally posted by Blood&Iron
    I saw the title of this thread and my child-like mind was anticipating another kind of "accident." Dammit, why'd you have to get me all giggly and excited and then just relay some story that didn't involve narrowly avoiding taking a big dump in your pants. tuttut
    LMAO....no comment
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Originally posted by Blood&Iron
    Blood & Iron, I was relating my experience merely for the safety benefit of others. You might be experienced in heavy lifting and squats to avoid a situation such as mine, but others might not be. Although it isn't as serious an accident as others that occur in the gym, I would not want for anyone to experience what i did.

It might be smart to learn from your own mistakes but it's way smarter to learn from that of others instead.

To appease your your anticipation and 'child-like' sense of instant gratification for gastronomical fun, I'd offer to buy you a economy-sized bottle of Ex-Lax to take before your own leg workout.

You could even get your own thread in later

Originally posted by Qea

To appease your your anticipation and 'child-like' sense of instant gratification for gastronomical fun,

LMAO!
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Originally posted by Qea

Blood & Iron, I was relating my experience merely for the safety benefit of others. You might be experienced in heavy lifting and squats to avoid a situation such as mine, but others might not be. Although it isn't as serious an accident as others that occur in the gym, I would not want for anyone to experience what i did.
    I wasn't trying to be an asshole or anything. Sorry, if I rubbed you the wrong way.

Anyways, I think someone else posted and I'd agree, using a bench/box/etc to gauge one's depth on a squat is IMO a bad idea-- no matter how you do it.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Originally posted by QuadzillaRF
    who ever did a weight on deadlift or squat knowing that it was way past their limit and ended up hurting themselves?

Well, whoever goes to lift a weight that they "know" is way past their limit is setting themself up to fail. You have to believe and know in your mind you are gonna get the lift, before you attempt it.

Squat in a power rack. If you are gonna fail, drop down to the pins. No harm done.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

squats are safe but i dont think box squats r all too safe.