The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Drinking Milk

Wannabebig Member

Drinking Milk

Hey guys. So I'm sticking to my routine. I am now at 130 pounds and trying to reach 150. I am drinking milk with every meal and then a glass at night...so about 4 glasses a day. Is this ok to do?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It's fine. Drink more and eat even more.

I love milk

drink up
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

In the book I just got, Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, he recommends drinking a gallon of milk a day and shutting down a buffet atleast 2 times a week. Lol

Wannabebig Member
    Haha right on. Well I'm eating A LOT so hopefully I'll meet my goal pretty soon. I dont know about a gallon of milk a day, thats quite a bit. Funny story though..I had a friend who thought he could drink a whole gallon of milk in one sitting. Turns out its physically impossible.

yes, it is...and it produces the worst smelling puke ever...esp. if you use whole milk
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

Quote Originally Posted by down420 View Post
    Haha right on. Well I'm eating A LOT so hopefully I'll meet my goal pretty soon. I dont know about a gallon of milk a day, thats quite a bit. Funny story though..I had a friend who thought he could drink a whole gallon of milk in one sitting. Turns out its physically impossible.
    Does your friend happen to be on Jackass? If I'm not mistaken they did this...
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Wannabebig Member
    is it honestly IMPOSSIBLE to drink a gallon of milk?....ive always wanted to try cuz i love milk and dont see it being impossible

Quote Originally Posted by clash View Post
    is it honestly IMPOSSIBLE to drink a gallon of milk?....ive always wanted to try cuz i love milk and dont see it being impossible
    spread out the day its fine as long as you have no problems with milk, i could drink 2 gallons if i wanted to but id poop a bit lol.
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by down420 View Post
    lol yes i have tried it, it is refered to as the "gallon challenge" it is physically impossible. None of my friends could do it either.
    [Journal | My Diet]
    [Bench 170x5 | Squat 255x5 | Deadlift 300x5]
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried."

Quote Originally Posted by clash View Post
    Not in a day, but in an hour yes. Thats what the gallon challenge is, one gallon in one hour. Has to be whole milk too.
    [Journal | My Diet]
    [Bench 170x5 | Squat 255x5 | Deadlift 300x5]
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried."

Wannabebig Member
    Impossible? Maybe for some, but I'm sure some people could do it. Takeru Kobayashi (world champion eater) could probably do it, and I've heard of someone drinking it and keeping it down for over an hour before he puked (it was for a bet).

Anyways...milk is the best substance. Ever.

Wannabebig Member
    in milk are also a lot of vitamins!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    You can die from drinking too much liquid in a very short period of time...or puke a lot. I'd rather do neither.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

the newspaper for our school did the gallon challenge
    they used whole milk, skim milk, and water

EVERYONE threw up...the whole milk drinker just experienced more pain than the others haha
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

Wannabebig New Member

Why Milk? Why not a protein shake?

Sure milk is good for you, but pound for pound maybe a protein shake is better, if bulking is what you want.

scarz-nice links!
    Last edited by Julian26; 12-31-2006 at 08:21 PM.
    Workouts are easy. The tough part is keeping up your diet and not blowing out your CNS.

You never know how far you can go until you get there.

mmmmmmilk
    Way down this road, in a gym far away, a young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do my legs won't grow."

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too. Trying to cheat these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the big men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty fives. A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees.

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack, Chalking his hands and monstrous back, Said "Boy stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN"

for anyone that asks me what to do to put on some weight the first thing i reccomend is increasing whole milk consumption, i usually say start by adding about 1/4 gallon.
    2000 or bust

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian26 View Post
    Sure milk is good for you, but pound for pound maybe a protein shake is better, if bulking is what you want.
    Why do you say that?

Wannabebig New Member

It's all about the protein

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    Why do you say that?
    Down420 wants to gain 20 pounds.

8oz milk = 120cals, 8 grams protein
    8oz protein shake = 130 cals, 24 grams protein (On whey one scoop)

You can't always have a protein shake for lots of reasons. No access to a blender, you're at work, whatever. In that case, milk is great. I'll take myself as an example. Before I can gain even an ounce, I have to consume 3500+calories, and over 200 grams of protein. I get that from chicken, tuna, peanut butter, and protein shakes. My current weight is 140, so my macros are close to down420's, and I'm gonna take a wild guess that he doesn't want to be a skinny runt like me for the rest of his life. In order for him to get to 150, he needs at least 1.5 grams per pound = 195 grams a day. That's a lot of milk. haha

Eating that much is a lot of effort. Packing in as many nutrients as you can in order to get there IMO, is the name of the game. Sometimes you make your diet, sometimes you blow it. Live and learn.

I hope no one mixes milk with their protein! (Insert puking smilie face here)
    Cheers.

oh, sweet stats RedSpikeything! dang, I am such a wimp! (out of shape, mostly)
    Last edited by Julian26; 01-01-2007 at 08:18 PM.
    Workouts are easy. The tough part is keeping up your diet and not blowing out your CNS.

You never know how far you can go until you get there.

Banned
    You're on the right track, but I don't think your original post was what you meant.

pound for pound maybe a protein shake is better, if bulking is what you want
    In the world of weight management, the calorie is king. Eat more = gain. Eat less = loss. What you eat and how you eat determines your body composition.
    I think your analysis was a little shallow. Both are good, but it really depends when and how your diet looks already.

Oh and thanks Have a look at some of the journals around here for some crazy numbers. KevinStarke is ~150 lbs and blows just about everyone out of the water.