Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When did u start lifting weights and how?

I first touched a weight probably when I was 7-8yo. My dad bought a weight bench and I did a few workouts with him. He also had this spring band in the closet and I always messed with it. I did my first workouts when I was 15, found a old weight stack in the garbage, brought it home and used it in my closet. Did mainly bench on that, took me a little bit but eventually did the whole stack. Also did little dumbell curls, started out with 5lb curls. Eventually found my dads weight bench in the basement and started doing barbell bench, flies, preacher curls, and leg extensions. I think I was 16 at the time doing a 50lb bench, 90lb preacher curl 40lb flies and 90lb extensions. 17yo I drove to walmart and got more weights, also found some 45lb plates in the garbage. At that time I was a senior in highschool and was benching 185x6, leg extensions didnt hold more weight so I jammed a pipe in the end and loaded it up. 18yo I joined the gym because I refused to weight lift outside as we moved and there wasnt room in the basement for all that ****, 4 years later here I am still lifting. Why? I have no idea but the transformation was fun

6' 2" 22years old
    05' 232lbs, 06' summer 200lbs, Currently 226lbs
    FB 345x1 Seated MP 225x5

Wannabebig Member
    I did weights in high school when i was on the football team.But had no clue on what to do.Made a family early on so i dropped weights for the family.job thing.
    Fast forward 16 years.Was taking company photos and finally got tired of being "fat" (290lb,44 pants/ 6'2 ")..Thanks to a guy at work he turned me to the gym.Started going to just lose some weight..

5 months later ,lost 40+ pounds.Better shape now(at 37) than i was in high school.My 14 year old now goes with me to the gym and we are both hooked.It makes some awesome father/son time.
    starting weight 290 as of july1st
    current weight 246

Tokyo.

TV is in Japaneese and an Athletic Club was attached to lobby of my hotel.

Rice and Fish x 5 meals a day = fast gains.
    Three people can keep a secret so long as two of them are dead

- Benjamin Franklin

I started freshman year high school in my room with DB's.
    towards the end I went to the gym every so often, I did get much stronger...even though I was a lightweight still.

Sophomore year I discovered weightlifting courses through my veins and I found myself coming in every single day after school lifting iron til' I sweat blood.

I was just a basic PL just eating and lifting, didn't know what the **** I was doing really, just knew it was for a reason.

Last spring I discovered how to diet correctly, I then began to *really transform how my body looks. I'm now a Junior in college.

Why? It's in my blood. (and several other reasons) Mostly selfish reasons from being young and dumb, like wanting revenge against bullies and turning girls heads. Maybe both, turning bullies' girlfriends' heads. LOL!!
    6'5"
    200lbs
    Bench - 270x5
    Squat - 350x5
    Bulking

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBOMB View Post
    word and pictures and stuff
    uh wow. That's incredible!

Nice, James!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Was very tall and skinny.... still tall, minus the skinny.
    I'm not moaning, i'm having an opinion.

I started when I was 13 and a Freshman in high school back in 1993. I lifted for football, but as school went on, I got more and more into it. I took a weight training classes every year from sophomore to senior and became the biggest and strongest person in the school...then I graduated and it went to hell. Old injuries came back, new ones happened, and I took time off and got way fatter.

The old injuries have subsided, so I started back up again because I hit a really low point in my life and thought I'd go back to the one thing I enjoyed about high school...and I'm hooked all over again.
    Last edited by VikingWarlord; 12-29-2006 at 11:25 AM.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    I started when I was 13 and a Freshman in high school back in 1993. I lifted for football, but as school went on, I got more and more into it. I took a weight training classes every year from sophomore to senior and became the biggest and strongest person in the school...then I graduated and it went to hell. Old injuries came back, new ones happened, and I took time off and got way fatter.

The old injuries have subsided, so I started back up again because I hit a really low point in my life and thought I'd go back to the one thing I enjoyed about high school...and I'm hooked all over again.
    That's great to hear. Stick with it and there's nothing you can't do! Glad to hear that.

My mom told me I was fat. I lost a lot of weight, and then was kind of skinny, but had the six pack. Lol. Then I joined on here, started reading, was given advice, took the advice, now I am fifty pounds heavier and I am stronger than I thought I would be. I lift now because I want to be healthy for my kids and my family when I start one. I also need to be in good shape for my job.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190