Thread: One on One with Jimmy Smith by Maki Riddington - Dec 26th Dec 2006

One on One with Jimmy Smith by Maki Riddington - Dec 26th Dec 2006

Jimmy Smith is one of the latest strength coaches ready to make his mark in an industry that is saturated with training and dietary information. Hes here to set the record straight.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=286

Enjoy!

Daniel
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Wow in this article it shows that you can train different parts of a muscle. I remember a thread on here a while ago stating it wasn't possible by a lot of people. Everyone was basically ragging on this one guy saying he didn't make his upper chest larger then his lower that, he just thought he did.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by method115 View Post
    Wow in this article it shows that you can train different parts of a muscle. I remember a thread on here a while ago stating it wasn't possible by a lot of people. Everyone was basically ragging on this one guy saying he didn't make his upper chest larger then his lower that, he just thought he did.

Let me nip this one in the bud before it gets blown out of hand. I just reread the interview and can understand where the confusion comes from.
    "Training different parts of a muscle (i.e. the chest) _____________

... is not worth it unless youre stepping on stage. There is research out there that shows it is possible." Research does exist that states you may be able to place stress on different portions of the muscle.We also know that slightly changing the path of resistance will lead to different motor unit recruitment. In my opinion this isn't something that 99% of the people need to worry about. In fact, competitive bodybuilders at the lower levels don't even need to be concerned with this.

"Different contractions (isometric, concentric, eccentric) will work different portions of the muscle"This is where the confusion lies, it can be interpreted that I was putting this statement together with the previous one, I am not. The work of Seger (1998) has shown that eccentric training lead to more hypertrophy in the distal portion while concentric training lead to more in the mid-point of the muscle.

I hope that clears any confusion up.
    Jimmy

So where exactly should one implement glute bridges in a routine, at the beggining of a leg routine? Should you do them weighted as well? I don't quite understand how they can help on top of other exercises like squats and deads.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    So where exactly should one implement glute bridges in a routine, at the beggining of a leg routine? Should you do them weighted as well? I don't quite understand how they can help on top of other exercises like squats and deads.
    You can include them at both the beginning of the workout or immediately before exercises. I wouldn't do them weighted, especially in the beginning, just focus on getting them to fire. How can they help? 99.9% of individuals can not effectively recruit their glutes. How does it affect the quats or deads? Simply because, if we can't fire this muscles we'll lack on pounds on these movements. If we can increase the poundage during these movements, our physique will change.

Jimmy, what exactly is the problem with glute activation on squats? I've heard this before (although not with the 99.9% thingie), and yet most deep-squatters have large, well-developed "squatter booty" - surely if the glutes aren't being recruited effectively, glute development would lag, yes?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Jimmy, what exactly is the problem with glute activation on squats? I've heard this before (although not with the 99.9% thingie), and yet most deep-squatters have large, well-developed "squatter booty" - surely if the glutes aren't being recruited effectively, glute development would lag, yes?
    "Squatter booty" is the just like "all show no go" syndrome. You'll see these competitors or athletes who look great but can't press anything over 225.

The problem with glute activation is that without firing the glutes, which is one of our bigger power producing muscles, we will not be able to squat has heavy, pull as heavy, bench as heavy etc etc. We live in a flexion based society. We sit all day, our glutes are shut off. being tight in the anterior hip(rectus femoris, psoas major, TFL, illiacus) will shut off the glute max. Our psoas major is the primary antagonist of the glute max, with the TFL being a synergist and adductors being an antagonist of the the glute med.

Can people squat big loads and deadlift heavy without the glutes firing? Sure, but when you look at these people they are trained powerlifters who are training heavy throughout. The human body is great at compensating, we will over recruit the hamstrngs, lumbar erectors and t-spine extensors. Checkk the muscle size on most people, you'll see their mid-low back is actually very developed.

Getting back to the glutes, not only will it keep us healthy but it will improve our physique. Women have a hard time leaning their glutes out correct? Granted this has to do with beta 2's in the glutes but the fact that they can not efficently recruit them is a big issue. You squat, lunge and say that you get all the glute work you need. The fact reamins is that your body is over-recruiting your hamstrngs to act as hip extensors. Your actually not using your glutes in the lunges or squats. Our glutes account for the majority of the force coming out of the whole, if we can't fire them we'll overuse our erector spinae and our hamstrings.

So iwhen you increase your glute activation youget results A firmer ass,more numbers on your squat, glute recruitment with lunges etc etc

So in layman's terms, firing the glute muscles is a way of waking up the glutes before an exercise (say squats), so you can actually use them to a much greater extent?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    So in layman's terms, firing the glute muscles is a way of waking up the glutes before an exercise (say squats), so you can actually use them to a much greater extent?
    Yes sir

Ok cool, thanks very much for explaining it.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith View Post
    The work of Seger (1998) has shown that eccentric training lead to more hypertrophy in the distal portion while concentric training lead to more in the mid-point of the muscle. [/I]

I hope that clears any confusion up.

Jimmy
    Could you post links to Seger's study?
    Thanks.