The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Question about Cardio and Weightlifting

When is the best time to do cardio while weightlifting? Before you work out or after you work out? I have heard bad things about doing cardio after a workout, so would that mean it is alright to do some before you workout?

Or is it best to do cardio on a completly separate day when your not going to weight lift?

Thanks!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

no, you ALWAYS do cardio AFTER weights, or on a separate day.

if you do cardio first you deplete muscle glycogen, leaving you with not enough fuel for a good weight workout.
    plus, you start pushing the body into a catabolic state as quickly as 40 mins into an exercise period. if you did cardio for 30 mins, and then weights, you could be catabolic by your second exercise. not good.

same difference

So why does that mean ALWAYS do cardio AFTER weights?? Weights deplete your glycogen stores as well. Your gonna be catabolic while doing your cardio. From a strength perspective I can see why weights first will be beneficial though.

Well....

I do heavy cardio in the morning (rowing), bout 6am. Then lift at 2 pm, I do that M-W-F, and I do HIIT sprinting at night for 25 minutes, 5 times a week. My lifting sessions are always good, provided Ive had some sugar. and Im usually pretty good for the HIT.

Its up to you, try both, try whatever, see how your body eacts, if you can take it, then do whatever you want.
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 12-27-2006 at 05:54 AM.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Fuzzy,
    You leave time to recover between cardio and weights.

I agree with trying it out if your training has room of expermenting then do it. Cardio before may push you harder on the lifts and be more challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by AzBboy View Post
    So why does that mean ALWAYS do cardio AFTER weights?? Weights deplete your glycogen stores as well. Your gonna be catabolic while doing your cardio. From a strength perspective I can see why weights first will be beneficial though.
    depleting glycogen isn't what makes you catabolic. I'm talking about two separate reasons why weights should come first.
    cardio can use fat for energy...weight training cannot. so use glycogen for weights first...cardio will find a way to get energy.

you'll also notice, I don't recommend both in one day, to avoid the catabolic effect from training for too long a period.

of course, you could just sip a dilute PWO shake as soon as you start cardio after weights, and fix nitrogen balance to avoid catabolism. some people just don't like that idea, or can't drink a sweet shake while running cuz it makes them sick.