Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Respectable squat

Gamer/Lifter

Respectable squat

What would you consider a respectable squat, as in one that would make you stop and watch and think later.

Me 600-700 LBs range. Granted 400-500 are big, but 600-700 takes lots of dedication.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Do that voodoo that he do
    600+ with a belt.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

In the gym, I'll stop and watch anyone squatting anything at all. In most gyms, anything over 300 done to parallel or deeper with good form can get my attention and impress me.

At a PL meet, anything over 700 done to a legit parallel with limited equipment.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Anything with 2 plates to a side (225 lbs) and above will impress me!
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

http://www.grappling.com russianwol's Avatar
    3pps and over at my gym.

But like Sensei I'll stop and watch anyone squatting. And generally admire if it's a proper form ATF squat.
    "If I were not Alexander, I should wish to be Diogenes." - Alexander The Great

Maxes: B: 200, D: TBD, S: TBD | 172lb @ 6% on 12/17/2006
    Goals: B:225, D: TBD, S: TBD | | 200lb or 12%

MySpace | USDA Nutrient Values | Built | V-Taper

Depends on the person squatting and form. Anything above parallel doesn't usually get my attention, but if I see a kid doing 155 ATF it would def get my attention.

Gamer/Lifter
    Well at my gym, a legit squat gets my attention but i'm refering to youtube or at a comp.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Well where I work out it seems that many people can get 250-300 lbs but none of them even go close to parallel. I mean they move like 3 inches down and that's it! I can't believe some people do it like that.

Iron4Life
    Depend on the sex of the squatter... lol
    Almost anything done by a female I'll watch.. but probably not for the right reasons... lol

For males, I try to mind my own business unless someone asks for a review.. unless I'm in a funny mood, then I'll watch the quarter squatters try to load up the plates..

The other exception is a young lifter.. who "seems" clueless.. if I notice their form is not too good, I will ask if they want some advice.. if they don't, then ok.. if they do, then I'll help all I can..

At competitions.. I try to watch everyone.. and encourage them. It takes a lot to get up there on stage.. plus you never know what someone's background is to get them there.. perhaps they are in a long rehab from a bad accident and are only squatting 300... they deserve the same respect as those young studs pushing 800.

I'm impressed with anyone putting all out effort into good form deep squats..

I agree with full squats being worthy of respect period. First they are doing them and they are doing them properly. I also agree with the rehab, they are back at it and not giving in to a setback. I would say a male squating 2xbw would be respectable. Female squating bw to 1.5xbw is impressive.
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

i usually am impressed with anyone that hits parallel in my gym which is rarely anyone, for a well trained athlete with 5+ years of experience a 500 lb full squat is heavily impressive! anything 600 and up at a full depth is getting to high ranking status.

RAW.
    2000 or bust

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Repping 2x BW.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    I always take in account the size of the lifter, if two guys are squatting 400 pounds and one weighs 300 pounds, and the other weighs 200 ill be more impressed with the 200 pound guy, so you have to take in acount weight.

in my eye, 1.5-2x bodyweight repectable

2-2.99X bodyweight grea

3+x bodyweigth ****ing unbelieveable

i got close to 2.5 i was about 260 and squatting 665, that was when i was at my strongest
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Any time I see someone working squat with good technique and proper depth it impresses me. It really doesn't matter what weight they are using just so they are giving their best effort.

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyBomber View Post
    Any time I see someone working squat with good technique and proper depth it impresses me. It really doesn't matter what weight they are using just so they are giving their best effort.
    I agree. Its very very rare to see parallel nowadays. Most people go halfway down. I saw one kid do 4 plates on each side, but only went halfway down and was screaming and carrying on...it was ridiculous. I was like....man come on at least go parallel, anyone can do that much weight if they are barely squatting down....
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    I agree. Its very very rare to see parallel nowadays. Most people go halfway down. I saw one kid do 4 plates on each side, but only went halfway down and was screaming and carrying on...it was ridiculous. I was like....man come on at least go parallel, anyone can do that much weight if they are barely squatting down....
    :evillaugh Today a kid did 2 plates and a 25. He was 100lbs wet and went down about 3 inches and back up. Poor guy had the pads and belt on and everything..

As for what makes me stop and look. A lady going all the way down. Nice and proper. :alcoholic No thats not right. How about some one doing it right.

I'll watch anyone squat to see if I can get any pointers for myself. Usually people don't go halfway to parallel at my gym

Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf View Post
    Depend on the sex of the squatter... lol
    Almost anything done by a female I'll watch.. but probably not for the right reasons... lol
    I concur

otherwise, anything over 3pps past parallel
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

3 plates on squat, 2 on bench, and 4 on deadlift impresses me.

female...-1 plate on each lift.

somewhere in the 5 to 600 range parallel or within an inch of.
    As for you ass to grass fans this has its place but your missing out on some serious power you could add to your legs training some higher reps heavier weight. Train um deep then train them higher and heavier best of both.

Anything over 500 raw or belt only with proper form is impressive to me. For a woman anything over 185 with proper form is pretty impressive, but then, I've only seen 3 women EVER squat at my gym, and one of them was my wife.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

It's absolutely depends on the person.

I'd be impressed if my girlfriend squatted even 1pps. In the gym I rarely see people go over 2pps.

For a guy I'd say 3pps is a pretty decent effort that shows you take leg training seriously.

If you're talking elite/powerlifting terms, anything 600+ is awesome IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    For a woman anything over 185 with proper form is pretty impressive, but then, I've only seen 3 women EVER squat at my gym, and one of them was my wife.
    You mentioning this reminded me of when I trained in Mesa I knew a female gym employee that hit 4 wheels parallel for a few reps she looked nice in jeans too.

Anyone squatting any weight, ever.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hatfield View Post
    Anyone squatting any weight, ever.
    ... below parallel.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John