The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Over training?

Extreme Ectomorph

Over training?

Firstly I'd just like to say I am an extreme ectomorph (~60kg, 183cm), so I've always been paranoid of over training.

More often than not when I train I feel like I need to be sick, sometimes it's so severe I have to sit out and take much, much longer rest than I need between sets. I find it quite frustrating because it puts me off training, and having to chug down a vile protein shake after when I'm already feeling ill is terrible.

I don't mean to complain, but I'm curious whether I am pushing myself too hard, or is this a normal feeling that everyone feels?

Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Are you keeping a good diet? sleeping patterns?
    *New Goals*
    7/7/2010
    I just wanna get back in the weightlifting saddle

*Old Lifts*
    5/30/2009
    6'2", 190lbs
    Bench: 280x1, 245x3, 225x8
    Squat: 225x8, 245x4
    Deadlift: 225x6, 245x3

Hello from another Aussie!

Aite mate... chances are your chugging musashi down, right?

Shudder* its so vile...

ALso, post your WHOLE routine. everything you do, how much you eat, and your sleeping.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

it really sounds like you're either trying to do too much, or you're just not eating enough and getting enough rest.
    post everything: your workout (with sets and reps), your diet, calorie intake, and typical sleep patterns.

Banned
    +1 for the whole routine.

My uninformed guess would be some combination of eating too much and a high rep routine. Makes me sick every time.

Extreme Ectomorph
    I do my own three day split. Generally I do one warm up set of 50% max weight, then two sets as heavy as I can aiming for around 5-8 reps. I'm trying a low volume, high intensity program as I've been told it's best for ectomorphs.

Monday - Chest and Shoulders.

Bench - Angle varies, generally flat.
    Incline DB Press - Generally slight incline.
    Military Press.
    Upright DB Press.
    Skullcrushers, or nose breakers. I forget what they're called.

Wednesday - Legs.

Squat.
    Full Squat.
    Deadlift.

After those three I'm wrecked.

Friday - Back.

Lat pull down (not strong enough for pull ups)
    Bent over BBell row.
    T-Bar Row.
    Upright row.
    Shrugs.
    BBell curls.

Depending how I feel, I'll often throw an abs workout in on the back or/and chest day.

My diet is pretty good, although it could be better. I avoid fast food and grease, but I do love my white bread, wholemeal just doesn't cut it for me. I have a good multi, the Swisse Men's one. My protein shake is 2:1 carbrotein ratio which I take as soon as I wake up, pre and post workout and before bed. I try to aim for 4000 calories a day, but unless I really force myself I generally hit only 3000.
    As for sleep, I'm currently on holidays, so I'm getting at least 9-10 hours, including naps.

Hm... all seems pretty good, except, move those dealifts to the Friday! DL are back excersizes.

And cancel that upright row (if it is what I think it is) unless you want to destroy your rotator cuffs, the BB rows are more than enough.

Im confused... I think it is the shake that might be making you sick.

Other than that, maybe you really are going hard

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Extreme Ectomorph
    Yeah, I have had Deadlifts on back day, but I always feel the DL in my hams the next day, plus I feel I'm doing too little on legs day. I don't have access to any machines, so leg curl, extension and press are out of the question. Maybe lunges or good mornings? Not really flexible enough for good mornings, although I'm working on that.

Banned
    DLs aren't really an isolation movement, so saying they are for your back is pretty unfair. There few muscles you don't use in DLs; it's your entire posterior chain.

I would do GMs or stiff legged DLs for hamstrings. Flexibility can be an issue, but remember that you can bend your knees.

Move the DL to Friday, you will have the Big 3 on seperate days with the extra stuff around them. Thse are the most important lifts, everything else is supplimentary.

If you can DL and squat on the same day then your being a wimp on one of them, or both, cause no one should be able to.

If your concerened about not enough excersises on the leg day, well who needs more than squats! I think, do a heavy 5x5 full ATF squats will sufficiently pulverise your legs, provided you go real heavy, real hard. Add 3x8 calf riases, and 3x8 of lunges, and you got everything you need.

Change it from back to from squats to kill you quads from time to time.

Or... my advice is to go on the Bill Starr 5x5 (look it up and READ IT) Lots of heavy compound movements, and no machines needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Move the DL to Friday, you will have the Big 3 on seperate days with the extra stuff around them. Thse are the most important lifts, everything else is supplimentary.

If you can DL and squat on the same day then your being a wimp on one of them, or both, cause no one should be able to.

If your concerened about not enough excersises on the leg day, well who needs more than squats! I think, do a heavy 5x5 full ATF squats will sufficiently pulverise your legs, provided you go real heavy, real hard. Add 3x8 calf riases, and 3x8 of lunges, and you got everything you need.

Change it from back to from squats to kill you quads from time to time.

Or... my advice is to go on the Bill Starr 5x5 (look it up and READ IT) Lots of heavy compound movements, and no machines needed.
    How can you say that deadlifting and squatting on the same day is not possible unless you're being a wimp then go on to recommend Bill Starr's 5x5?
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Assuming you're a young dude and have no conflicting medical problems I see no need for you to make the slightest attempt to hold down your fat intake...
    Umm... I think beef and more beef, whole eggs, whole milk, whole everything.

Seriously, the only way a true ecto will make good mass gains is to eat massive amounts of calories which is much easier to do when you don't have to worry about fat intake.

Lol, got me there deeder...

I dont squat on the wedensday, well, I may occasionally but it usually very light.

Wdensdays the only time I have to DL, so I go as hard as I can on it, wich leaves me with little left for squats.