The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cameronp81

Clean and Jerk and snatch!

I've been cleaning for a while now and i'm not too bad at it but i just started snatching because i'm going to enter the florida sunshine games next summer. does anybody have good ideas or workouts to help me increase quickly without gaining weight because i'm trying to stay in the 77 kg?
    age-24
    height- 5'9''
    weight-191
    bench-305
    c&j-280
    snatch-185
    squat-340
    deadlift-435

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

One hand barbell snatch and normal old snatch. Just keep doing them over and over. Good form makes the lift allot easyer.

You could also try BD snatch when you get bored. Do some snatch squats as well.

Stop everything you're doing now and get an Oly Coach. If you're even remotely serious about this, find a coach in your area and learn to do the lifts correctly. If you continue on the path you're on now, you're going to pick up habits here and there that are going to be terribly hard to relearn.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    get an Oly Coach.
    No harm in that but getting one can be easyer said then done. There is allot of fine points to the moves that you will not see posted.

Maybe there is someone on the forums in your area.

Not sure if I get the last post. Are you quoting me saying that I should find a coach or are you agreeing with me?

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Australia - Where the women really go down under!
    Gaining strength while not going up a weight class is one of the tricks of Olympic Lifting. Follow a 5 x 5 routine.
    "People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

cameronp81
    Hey fenrir by saying 5x5 do u mean 5 sets of the same weight or add weight each set still doing 5 reps? And you're right about it being hard to get stronger without gaining weight but I'm determined!!!
    age-24
    height- 5'9''
    weight-191
    bench-305
    c&j-280
    snatch-185
    squat-340
    deadlift-435

I am saying getting a coach is a very good idea but maybe hard to find.

I would not do a 5 rep 5 set combination with oly lifting as some take allot out of you. I personally alternate between heavy weight and reps. One week using reps to enforce form and the other week to push the limits of power.

coach

where u near, cause im a FL OLY lifter and i know a handful of good coaches that may be near u.

Wannabebig Member
    http://mikesgym.org/wod.php following that won't do you any harm

cameronp81
    Hey vrizzle i'm in gainesville!
    age-24
    height- 5'9''
    weight-191
    bench-305
    c&j-280
    snatch-185
    squat-340
    deadlift-435

NITOR PROJECT Guinea Pig Joshua Davis's Avatar
    I am in Florida and considering doing a weightlifting meet sometime this year... I have been mostly doing form drills, and letting other lifters critique them. I am just now getting the confidence to add weight to the bar.

If I can get close to a 110 snatch/140 clean+jerk, although not very impressive for a SHW, I'll still do it. I have jerked 140 from the rack before (never cleaned that much though), and I have consistently power snatched 95 several times.

working out

if ure up to it ill post you my work-out as far as OLY is concerned. Im in high school weightlifting so u know its bench n clean+jerk so i bench too. ill give u my stricly olympic workout every day, but it will be, at the earliest, about 5:30 b/c ill be working out. ill explain all the lifts n stuff if u dont know. It may seem weird but as of right now im about to go to a qualifier for Junior Nationals to hopefully qualify, (i prolly wont cause i killed my knee not too long ago and havent squatcleaned or snatched or squated for 2 weeks) so it'll be a smaller workout, AND my High School season is about to start so it'll really be whacked up, and it may be for a while, until after April, b/c during season theres going to basicaly be a lot of maxing, not really that much development, which is what you would need. Oh yea and as far as a coach, i could help you from jacksonville to orlando on the east coast but not really gainesville. actually i know a couple of lifters (one who's currently training... i think) in gainesville but he's prolly not willing to train any1. He's going to UF... nuff said. if u have any other questions or comments just e-mail me @ mi"nimu"s321"@"yah"oo.c"om (remove quotations i dont want to be spammed)
    snatch: 185
    Bench: 245
    Clean: 245
    Jerk: 275x2
    C+J: 245
    TANDEM C+J: 442
    Weight:148.5
    Need to weigh: 62kg
    Body fat: 6.3%
    Goal for State: 255 Bench, 260 C+J. and 205 snatch for OLY

o ya n check out the team florida website for other suff n o ya how old r u.

reasons: you could lift in possibly the following national meets: National Schoolage Championships 17U, National Juniors 20U, American Open (any age), National Championships (any age). but from your totals i dont know if you could qualify for any of those.

cameronp81
    hey vrizzle i'm the head weightlifting coach at interlachen high school. thanks for the info but i've already been planning to enter the sunshine state games in 2 summers with a couple of my now younger lifters. So what high school do you go to cuz if you're in 1A you're in trouble i've got a 129er who is benching 235 and cleaning 210. and just in case you don't make weight i have a 139er benching 260 and cleaning 210, then my 2nd 139er is at 215-205. Good Luck!
    age-24
    height- 5'9''
    weight-191
    bench-305
    c&j-280
    snatch-185
    squat-340
    deadlift-435

THE CREEK BABY!!! I would own the second 139er if i didn't kill my knee. i havent squatted or squat cleaned or snatched in about 2.5 weeks and it still hurts, but i think ill be ok in about another 1.5. Yea as of right now weighing 137-8ish benching 210 Power C+Jing only 180 (never been good at power cleans). As you know spruce creek is a 2A school so we wont be able to beat you guys up. Our returning 129 state champ is benching 285 and C+Jing 265 but he moved up to the 139s. If im a 129er ill need about a 420ish to qualify so hopefully you'll see me there come state (which is going to be in daytona, our backyard)

cameronp81
    Ah Spruce Creek nice! Yeah I have a lot of respect for you guys program pretty impressive the past 2 decades. I didnt go to the 2A meet last year but I had to judge the 1A even though some of my guys were lifting. Our 129er won last year but he graduated. I should be at the 2A this year though. Ya know me and the other coach here were gonna try to get down there one day to see one of you guys' practices, so what all do ya'll do on clean days and bench days to get so strong in every weight class?
    age-24
    height- 5'9''
    weight-191
    bench-305
    c&j-280
    snatch-185
    squat-340
    deadlift-435

this is basically our run of things:

Mon:bench

Tue:cleans, backsquats

Wed:Jerks, Bench

Thurs:Cleans, frontsquats

Fri:Bench, Jerks

as far as WHAT we do ummm you should read my journal to see the excercises we do.

heres all the things we do bench, DB bench, bent bar bench, close grip bench, weighted dips, pushdowns, french curls, intermediate rack press, Jerks, jerk press, BN press, lateral raises, Lat. pulldowns, DB press, Squats, cleans, power cleans, Pow. Hang Cleans, clean pulls (different from the OLY term clean pull), dead scoop shrugs, RDL, Knee deads, rack squats, front squats, high pulls, good mornings, close grip high pulls, plyometrics, ABS ABS ABS, straight leg deads, and once in a blue moon we'll do some random exercise like DB jerks. or rack holds or hold jerk in split or BN jerks(my fave). im prolly forgetting some things but thats the jist of what we do. O ya, n we dont do ALL those exercises every week.

While on the subject I have been cleaning for a while now and I have definately plateaued... Im stuck right at 215 I'm 5'7" 185...

Bench 315 =)
    Squat 465 =)
    Clean 215 -.-

anyways can anoyne give me any advice or maybe a sup excercise that will help me out?
    >>5'7"~190~13%bf<<

Bigger, Faster, Stronger.... Smarter ~.-

cameronp81
    Bam Bam:
    Along with back squats do you do front squats? Also upright rows and deadlifts. My clean goes up pretty steadily when i work these hard.
    age-24
    height- 5'9''
    weight-191
    bench-305
    c&j-280
    snatch-185
    squat-340
    deadlift-435

cameronp81
    Vrizzle:
    Damn you guys do a lot we do most of those exercises too but not all of them. We do bench Mon.-Wed.-Fri. and cleans Tue-Thur. On most bench days we do the bench workout of course, then tricep pulldowns, lats, military press, french curls, and dips. On clean days after cleans, front squats, upright rows,seated rows, jerks with light weight, and rack holds.
    age-24
    height- 5'9''
    weight-191
    bench-305
    c&j-280
    snatch-185
    squat-340
    deadlift-435

Wannabebig Member
    must be a small world. hey i was wondering how much strength do you think these plans add. in terms of raw strength. casue as an athlete you can never get enought strength. maybe thinking about doing these as my strength phase instead of basic lifts

Quote Originally Posted by droman View Post
    must be a small world. hey i was wondering how much strength do you think these plans add. in terms of raw strength. casue as an athlete you can never get enought strength. maybe thinking about doing these as my strength phase instead of basic lifts
    Strength is relative. You should see a large improvement but it all depends on what you start with. For myself it was about 30-40% increase in overall body strength. My old bodybuilding style did not do much for the core.

cameronp81
    Droman:
    That's all we train for during weightlifting season so all of the lifts we do are designed for strength only so give em a try if you want to.
    age-24
    height- 5'9''
    weight-191
    bench-305
    c&j-280
    snatch-185
    squat-340
    deadlift-435