The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Crossfit routine

I did crossfit for the first time today. Wooped my ass! haha

I'm going to give crossfit a try for a month (January) while on a cut and see if I can lean down. (Note: I lift mainly for vanity and have no desire to become "huge", athletic and lean is what I aim for, strength is a distant second)

I like to exercise 6 times a week. And no, for me thats not over training. I'm looking for about 10-12 "days" from crossfit. I haven't done and oly lifts and don't feel like starting. My gym is pretty basic. I don't have any gymnastic equipment.

I like days which take a longer time (25+ min) or are like "Complete as many rounds in 20min (or more)"

I've been searching through crossfit and have come up with these...

For time:
    65 pound Thrusters, 50 reps
    50 Pull-ups
    65 pound Thrusters, 30 reps
    30 Pull-ups
    65 pound Thrusters, 20 reps
    20 Pull-ups

"Cindy"
    Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
    5 Pull-ups
    10 Push-ups
    15 Squats

note: I cant seem to reach any archives....

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Just another thought, my routine is really simple now...its
    2 days of cardio, chest, back, legs, abs/shoulders (not in that order)

Would it be a good idea to chop the 2 cardio days (running and biking) and add two crossfit days that incorporate a form of cardio (sprinting, rowing etc)

Crossfit kicks ass.

1. Oly lifts are fun, and a big part of crossfit

2. Try to do something different every time

3. I have a big list of crossfit w/o that i can email you

4. Remember to scale, you can quickly and easily overtrain

5. a month isn't really enough to test crossfit as a routine

Have fun!
    Face it: biceps are the muscle that classifies you as a muscle man.

Striding across the fields, carrying a vorpal blade, cometh Clawhammer! And he gives a bloodthirsty bellow:

"As sure as predators devour prey, I shall paint the town a sanguine shade of doom!!!"
    Hilarity

Quote Originally Posted by clawhammer_33 View Post
    Crossfit kicks ass.

1. Oly lifts are fun, and a big part of crossfit

2. Try to do something different every time

3. I have a big list of crossfit w/o that i can email you

4. Remember to scale, you can quickly and easily overtrain

5. a month isn't really enough to test crossfit as a routine

Have fun!
    Claw I'd like to see the list of crossfit w/o's if you don't mind!!!

I think you're missing the point of what Crossfit is.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Just to the WOD

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    ^same
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Just go to the site, WOD are listed right there. There is a pulldown list of archived WOD listed by month going back to 2003.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

yeah i did my first one last week...it was rounds in 20 min. of 12-rep 65 lb thrusters, and 10-rep chinups.

i ended up doing the CFWU (5 reps of everything), and then scaled down the WOD to 10-rep 65lb thrusters, and 6-rep chinups. Had to start doing subsets or whatever it's called during the 3rd round, and completed 7 in exactly 20 minutes.

I layed on the ground for a minute or so, then I tried to do a bit of jogging for cool-down, and my quads immediately seized up haha. It was great.

Also I would go along with the others in saying that you should just do the WOD as prescribed.....it's all about the intensity, not how long you're spending doing the workout. Honestly, that 20 min workout I did was much tougher on me than any sort of steady-state cardio I've done before (which isn't much hehe)
    Name: Addison , Height: 6'0"
    Weight: 173 lbs, Location: Toronto
    Bodyfat: 8.4%, Age: 18

Bench: 205lb x 2
    Squat: 275lb x 4
    Deadlift: 305lb x 1
    Chins: 20 pronated, 5 w/ 50lb db

As of 5/03/2005

My Pic Thread

If I do a 3 day ME routine MWF, would it be beneficial to do crossfit on Sat/Sun?

I don't think there would be any harm in it, but I'm more knowledgable when it comes to PL stuff than I am with crossfit, so I was hoping someone in the know could help me out a little bit.
    Last edited by KoSh; 03-27-2007 at 01:12 PM.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Kosh - Check out Anthonys journal he is incorporates crossfit principals into a strength routine. I think its something like:

Day 1: MetCon (crossfit WOD or other)
    Day 2: 1/2 Metcon; 1/2 strength (short WOD from crossfit and focus on one major lift)
    Day 3: strength
    Day 4: Rest
    Day 5: repeat

If you go to http://www.crossfit.com/ you can get a lot of info from there.

Also - You could just add in some strongman type metcon work. Use some sandbags, sled drags, sledge hammer strikes, sprints, plyometrics, etc.
    Last edited by ericg; 03-27-2007 at 01:18 PM.
    Height - 5'10"

WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Sweet. Yeah, I just checked out www.crossfit.com.

Great info.

I'd like to do a little crossfit on the weekend days. My girlfriend wants me to start heading to the gym with her and we can't go during the week, but I've been having problems wanting to go on Saturday/Sunday fearing it could ruin my weekday workouts. But crossfit seems to be a GREAT alternative and something for me to do while she's doing her cardio. Maybe just a WOD for both Saturday/Sunday coupled with the crossfit warmup?

I realize it wouldn't be a "true" crossfit "routine" (the word only being used because I don't know what else to refer to it as, seeing how there is no "routine" when doing crossfit). She just wants to do 20-30 minutes of cardio on the weekend days, so I think the time frame after she warms up and performs her cardio would fit perfect with one another.

But I don't want to do that if I'm doing it incorrectly.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

There are tons of ways to incorporate some GPP into your powerlifting. You could do a saturday session, you could replace your DE work, you could do a short metcon after your lifting, etc. The key is to structure it in a way where you're not hurting your priority. I.e., If strength is priority, don't do an intense metcon the night before!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    There are tons of ways to incorporate some GPP into your powerlifting. You could do a saturday session, you could replace your DE work, you could do a short metcon after your lifting, etc. The key is to structure it in a way where you're not hurting your priority. I.e., If strength is priority, don't do an intense metcon the night before!
    Bah, GPP should not replace DE. Myself, I'd go along the lines of plyometric work and sled dragging on one day off, and tire flips/rowing/shuttle runs/chins and explosive band work on another day off. Hell, at a point your GPP level can be high enough to do one of those workouts before a ME day

So in other words, if my set program is to deadlift on a Monday, don't do a WOD on deadlifting the day before...

Take one of the other WODs and throw it in there?

Does that make sense? I think I'm beginning to understand the principles a bit more clearly.

I guess if I consider powerlifting my sport, I should never really do a squat, bench or deadlift WOD then? Seeing how the idea is to do non-sport specific movements when training crossfit style...
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Since you are doing strength stuff during the week I would stick with the metcon type stuff during the weekend. So if the WOD calls for 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 deadlifts or front squats, like todays WOD, I would just pick one of the previous WODs that was geared more towards conditioning. Most of the WODs with the girls names (see the FAQ section on the CF site) fit that bill. So try to stick with something that isnt max effort as far as weight is concerned and geared more towards body weight movements, plyos, pushups, "free" squats, pullups, light compound movements, situps, back extensions, sprints, and on and on.

Seems like your goal is to continue to get stronger in the big three but add some conditioning during the weekend when the GF is in the gym? So stick to conditioning type work. I would think adding in this high intensity work will stall your progress for a few weeks since it may shock your system a bit. In the long run it will be a great addition since it will improve your work capacity.
    Height - 5'10"

Yeah, I figured that as well. My lifts may not go up in the next few weeks, but that's fine with me if it means becoming more overall fit. I'm weighing 194 with around 12% bf (estimate) and I'm a pretty athletic guy. But I don't want to give up strength training, but at the same time, crossfit would benefit me tenfold when it comes to overall health and fitness.

Thanks for the help guys. Really is appreciated.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Ok, Ok, I'm back...

I've decided I want to take some elements of crossfit and put it into my split...

Here's an example:

Monday:
    Dynamic Day:
    Box Squats 3x8
    Bench Press 3x8
    Good Mornings 3x8

Some Assistor work

Wednesday:
    BB Rows 5x5
    Seated Rows 3x8
    Bicep Curls 2x12
    DB Skull Crushers 2x12

Crossfit type work:
    10 pullups
    10 burpees
    10 sit ups

3 sets for time

Friday:
    Squats: 5x5
    Bench: 5x5
    Deadlift: 5x3

Some assistor work

Saturday/Sunday: Crossfit

Keep in mind this isn't my exact routine, I'm toying with a few ideas in my head right now. Basically what I'm trying to get at is that on M/F I have pure PL days. On W I have a hybrid PL/CF day. On Sat/Sun Pure CF days. Does this split look okay? Only thing I'm even remotely worried about is overtraining, but I don't think I'm doing too much volume here...
    Last edited by KoSh; 03-28-2007 at 06:19 PM.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

I dont think it looks all that bad. Do you plan on switching up the CF type stuff on Wednesday or are you going to do the same thing every week? I say give it a month as see how you respond.
    Height - 5'10"

I don't know if I plan on switching it up yet. I think I'll adjust the values... Maybe add 1 or 2 reps each week. And like you said, after a month see how I feel. Saturday/Sunday I'll probably do a similar workout as I did on Wednesday. But obviously using different variations and combinations of exercises.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Sounds good man. Just remember that part of the CF principle is to vary the movements and what not so try not to get to attached to certain things!!
    Height - 5'10"

I'm in the process of putting together a list of the non-weight bearing exercises to mix and match on the different days I do crossfit. I mean, low weight exercises will probably be pooled in there as well, but I want to avoid the actually lifting high weight aspect as I'm still doing that during the week...
    Last edited by KoSh; 03-29-2007 at 10:03 AM.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method