The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Marcel-
    I thought that you were doing NHE bro? Where are your carb-up meals at? I have looked in your past 6-7 journal entries and you dont carb-up on any of them...

MS - Tell me about it eh? Just yesterday was a carb-up but it wasn't all planned out and shiat. I need to do a better job about that.
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

Ok here we go....

Friday had a blast. Ate like a whole facken cheese pizza! Great stuff.

Saturday La Familia came over and we had a bunch of fun. We played foosball and my cousin and I were barely beat by my 2 lil 10 and 8 year old cousins! Lil bastards! Next time we will have another tournament and we will beat them!
    We ate cake and other good stuff and I wasnt worried about fat and carbs together and all that ****! I just wanted to relax really.

Sunday I woke up and felt alright not too much damage done just some added water weight I guess. I got up pretty early and did some searching on the net for different diets etc. I found one that looks tight and I will switch to that for a while instead of NHE.

I also read up on a supp. called vitex. It looks very promising until I read a post where some teen(19yrs old.) was asking if he should use it and Brock Strasser advised against it. The teen didn't want to close his bone epiphyses pre-maturely because he believed he was gonna grow some more. Short of an x-ray you can't tell if you are done growing or not. So good looking out Brock and helping people out. I believe I'm not done growing either so no vitex for me!

The new diet will be this:
    Protein 1.5-2 grams per lb of bodyweight
    Fat .5-.75 grams per lb of bodyweight
    Carbs (only post workout) 30-50 grams
    green vegies as much as possible

I got this diet from Tha One CrumCake over there at Elite. There's a long post over in the diet forum in which this diet is discussed. So thank you to Crum and I will shoot him an e-mail later.
    Last edited by Marcel; 03-17-2002 at 09:19 PM.
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

180 * 1.5 = 270 g protein
    180 * .5 = 90 g fat

Pumpin days:
    270 * 4 = 1080 protein cal.
    90 * 9 = 810 fat cal.
    50 * 4 = 200 carb cal.
    *Total Cal. = 2090 cal.*

Non- Pumpin days:
    270 * 4 = 1080 protein cal.
    90 * 9 = 810 fat cal.
    *Total Cal. = 1890 cal.*

Meal breakdown: (7 meals per day)
    40 g protein
    13 g fat

CFM whey:
    1/3 cup=
    23 g protein
    95 cal.

Micellar casein:
    1/3 cup=
    21 g protein
    95 cal.
    Last edited by Marcel; 03-18-2002 at 12:16 AM.

Date: March 18, 02

Stats:
    Before pumpin@ 3:40 - & %(inaccurate)

Diet:
    #1@6:30 - CFM whey(1/3cup-23gp/95cal) + Micellar casein(1/3cup-21gp/95cal) + 10ml udos(10g.f./87cal.) = 277 cal.
    #2@9:15 - 6 oz. chicken(38g.p./168 cals/2g.f.) + 10ml udos(10g.f./87cal.) + romaine lettuce = 255 cal.
    #3@12:15 - 6 oz. chicken(38g.p./168 cals/2g.f.) + 10ml udos(10g.f./87cal.) + romaine lettuce = 255 cal.

#4@3:30 - CFM whey(1/3cup-23gp/95cal) + Micellar casein(1/3cup-21gp/95cal) + 10ml udos(10g.f./87cal.) = 277 cal.
    #5@6:00 - 2 scoops Surge(49cg/25pg) = 350 cal.

#6@8:00 - CFM whey(1/3cup-23gp/95cal) + Micellar casein(1/3cup-21gp/95cal) + 10ml udos(10g.f./87cal.)+ romaine lettuce = 277 cal.
    #7@10 - Micellar casein(2/3cup-42gp/190cal) + 5ml udos(5g.f./43 cals) = 233 cal.

Pro.grams= 275 Fat grams= 55 Carb grams= 50 Total Cal.= 1,924

Water:
    2 gallons

Supps:
    3g Calcium, 300mg potassium, 3g. C, 800iu E, 300mg B6, g fiber, 2 multi-vit, 2 md6, 1 dym xtrm, 30 mg zinc

Training & Cardio:
    Chest, tri's and LEGS. Great session everything went up. I'm up to the 75 pound db bench for next session. These are going up nicely...soon it will be 100's!!! Now if my Squat would go up the same...Cardio was 33 min. 10.88 miles on bike Oh shiat I forgot I added some extra sets of leg extension while I waited...I did some drop sets and it didnt affect other lifts at all. ace.

Pain/Soreness:
    None.

Sleep:
    12-8 (8 hours perfect)

Overall Comments:
    Gonna have protein supp. meals today but I need to find out the nutrition facts of "skirt steak" Didn't go to skool today cuz it got late...couldnt open up the facken gate couldn't get out and left without my food. Came back in the house and decided to stay here...fun stuff.
    Last edited by Marcel; 03-20-2002 at 10:25 AM.

Marcel-
    "The new diet will be this:
    Protein 1.5-2 grams per lb of bodyweight
    Fat .5-.75 grams per lb of bodyweight
    Carbs (only post workout) 30-50 grams
    green vegies as much as possible
    "

Looking good man. This diet looks pretty good if you ask me. Not in regards to leptin levels but in regards to everything else I have ever read. For example low-carbs usually helps burn off a lot of fat, etc. Good luck man.

... Yeah definitely try a CID though with me if you drop this.

Yea it looks excellent and the dude who wrote it is very cool and knows his shiat. If I dont feel good on it or the results aren't great then I will switch to a CID and see how that goes. Cool!

Date: March 19, 02

Stats:
    Before pumpin@ 3:40 - & %(inaccurate)

Diet:
    #1@6:30 - CFM whey(1/3cup-23gp/95cal) + Micellar casein(1/3cup-21gp/95cal) + 10ml udos(10g.f./87cal.) = 277 cal.
    #2@9:15 - 6 oz. chicken(38g.p./168 cals/2g.f.) + 10ml udos(10g.f./87cal.) = 255 cal.
    #3@12:15 - 6 oz. chicken(38g.p./168 cals/2g.f.) + 10ml udos(10g.f./87cal.) = 255 cal.

#4@3:30 - CFM whey(1/3cup-23gp/95cal) + Micellar casein(1/3cup-21gp/95cal) + 10ml udos(10g.f./87cal.) + romaine lettuce = 277 cal.
    #5@6:00 - CFM whey(1/3cup-23gp/95cal) + Micellar casein(1/3cup-21gp/95cal) + 10ml udos(10g.f./87cal.) + romaine lettuce = 277 cal.

#6@8:00 - CFM whey(1/3cup-23gp/95cal) + Micellar casein(1/3cup-21gp/95cal) + 10ml udos(10g.f./87cal.) + romaine lettuce = 277 cal.

#7@10 -

Pro.grams= 252 Fat grams= 64 Carb grams= Total Cal.= 1,618

Water:
    2 gallons

Supps:
    3g Calcium, 500mg potassium, 4g. C, 800iu E, 300mg B6, g fiber, 2 multi-vit, 4 md6, 1 dym xtrm, mg zinc

Training & Cardio:
    WILL do tready sprints. At night might take a walk.

0-5 warm-up walk
    start over timer
    0-21 1/1 sprints/walk completed
    21-35 jog/ cooldown walk
    ace

Pain/Soreness:
    Chest when flexed. lower quads teardop.

Sleep:
    10:30-6:20 (7:50 perfect almost...felt a lil tired when i got up but thaz expected)

Overall Comments:
    So far so good..energy wise feel ok. Feeling great right now and my body likes those protein shakes. good stuff so far and will do my cardio in a lil bit then will report back here. Ok cardio went great. Protein supps. because cooking sucks! facken weighing food and measuring is getting on my nerves...but when it comes down to it I wouldnt feel right not doing it!
    Last edited by Marcel; 03-21-2002 at 11:35 PM.

Alright man, again Ill be checking out your journal daily. Good luck!

Originally posted by Marcel
    Yea it looks excellent and the dude who wrote it is very cool and knows his shiat. If I dont feel good on it or the results aren't great then I will switch to a CID and see how that goes. Cool!
    Are you by chance talking about the diet over at elite by that crumcake guy? That's what it looks like through what you are describing. High fat and protein and only taking in carbs post workout. If so I just started this diet last Friday. You should see some pretty good results. even though I haven't been on the diet long, I can already tell I've shed a little bit of body fat. But one I notice is that I do feel a little weaker than normal since I'm eating so low carbs.

Yea thaz da diet. That thread over there is fo facken long too and the dude is so helpful. I'm gonna follow this diet until I'm shredded and I'm not stopping for nothing. I'll be checking your journal daily too so good luck!

Good look with the diet. I'm going to be sticking to it also until I get to around 6-7% body fat. Going to be hard going 8 straight weeks without a cheat day, but I think I can handle it. I'll pretty much be taking in the same amount as protein/fat/carbs as you. Around 260p, 90f, 40c I'll be checking out your journal daily to see how you're progressing on this diet. Oh, and yeah, that thread is long as hell. I've been reading it for over an hour and still reading it. LOL

Yea 8 weeks for me too w/o a cheat will be hard but I can handle it. Just have to think positive and keep going hard at it. Definetly check my journal out and help keep me on track. ThaOneCrumcake gives out some great advice on that thread...like one for example that I liked was to go to war with the cheat food...put it in front of you and say f*ck yo* mutherf*cka. A lot of dieting is a mental thing ya know? I can't wait to get a craving for something so I can go to war!!!! LMAO!!!

Date: March 20, 02

Stats:
    Before pumpin@ 3:40 - 181.5 & 15%(inaccurate) I'm not no facken 15% I'm leaner then that!!!

Diet:
    #2@9:15 - 6 oz. chicken(38g.p./168 cals/2g.f.) + 10ml udos(10g.f./87cal.) = 255 cal.
    #3@12:15 - 6 oz. chicken(38g.p./168 cals/2g.f.) + 10ml udos(10g.f./87cal.) = 255 cal.

#4@3:30 - CFM whey(1/3cup-23gp/95cal) + Micellar casein(1/3cup-21gp/95cal) + 10ml udos(10g.f./87cal.) = 277 cal.

#6@8:00 - CFM whey(1/3cup-23gp/95cal) + Micellar casein(1/3cup-21gp/95cal) + 10ml udos(10g.f./87cal.)+ romaine lettuce = 277 cal.
    #7@10 - Micellar casein(2/3cup-42gp/190cal) + 5ml udos(5g.f./43 cals) = 233 cal.

Pro.grams= 275 Fat grams= 55 Carb grams= 50 Total Cal.= 1,924

Water:
    2 gallons

Supps:
    3g Calcium, 500mg potassium, 5g. C, 800iu E, 300mg B6, g fiber, 3 multi-vit, 4 md6, 1 dym xtrm, mg zinc

Training & Cardio:
    Back, bi's and shoulder's. Super session went up on all my reps like crazy! Maybe it's the increased protein! Did 35 min cardio(i was bored as fack today!) on the elliptical at a good pace but not too fast.
    Pain/Soreness:
    None.

Sleep:
    11:20-6:20 (7 hours felt tired as fack in the morning but now at 10:30 i feel great)

Overall Comments:
    Ummm...added a lil salt to my chicken meals...and I feel great today. I will stick to meals as planned but if altered for some reason I will update.
    Last edited by Marcel; 03-20-2002 at 10:59 PM.

Originally posted by Marcel
    Yea 8 weeks for me too w/o a cheat will be hard but I can handle it. Just have to think positive and keep going hard at it. Definetly check my journal out and help keep me on track. ThaOneCrumcake gives out some great advice on that thread...like one for example that I liked was to go to war with the cheat food...put it in front of you and say f*ck yo* mutherf*cka. A lot of dieting is a mental thing ya know? I can't wait to get a craving for something so I can go to war!!!! LMAO!!!

Yeah, that sh!t was funny as hell, I laughed my ass off when I saw that. I thought it was funny when he was saying when you start to want a cheat day, instead go through a hell day of eating nothing but plain oatmeal, tuna, and olive oil. That would make you really appreciate the steaks and protein shakes. One thing I noticed on this: Pro.grams= 275 Fat grams= 55 Carb grams= 50 Total Cal.= 1,924

According to what he suggested, wouldn't you want to up the fat grams to at least 90-100. The reason for this is to use the protein to preserve muscle, and use the fat for energy. With eating both low carbs and medium fat, a lot of the protein is going to be used as energy. Before I started this diet full blown, I was going with about the same stats as that, and I noticed I had hardly no energy in the day. Now that I'm taking in double the fat I'm noticing more energy, but haven't been on it long enough to tell a difference in fat loss. Guess time will tell. I'll give it a go for a month, and if I'm not losing fat or gaining fat, then I'll switch back over to low carbs and medium fats because I was having success as far as losing fat, just felt like sh!t all day. But with macro break down of what you're taking in right now, you'll defiantly cut. Also something I'm thinking too, is he suggested like doing a split of his diets. One week eat very low carbs (just post workout) and then one week up the carbs for the first three meals a day. Just alternate between the 2 weeks. Once I get down to the single % body fat to where I want to be, I think I'm going to try that out, seems like you would get the cutting results from the 1 week of very low carbs, but also be able to gain muscle from the week of eating medium carbs. I just hope when trying this I don't put on much fat from the weekly medium carbs.

Yea the hell day idea is actually pretty smart one. That would really make you appreciate the shakes and chicken. You are probably correct about upping the fat but I simple did .5*180 and got 90 grams but I'm fallin short on those. If I start losing weight too fast then I will up the fat.

The 3 pro/fat meals and 3 protein/carb meals is a great idea once I reach the leaness I want. That would be great and then switch to the original plan when you feel you need to cut.

We pretty much have the same plan dude! We follow the same routine also. I've been thinking of upping the volume on my routine though. I havent yet because I keep progressing but I think it would be cool to up the volume for a week or 2.

I was checking this diet out, it's pretty much the same thing that we are on, only upping the fat intake and lowering the protein. Carb intake is still going to come out the same if you're eating all the green veggies and have carbs post workout. This seems kind of like a keto diet, but it doesn't require you to be in ketosis to lose the body fat. The thing I like about this diet is you get a carb up day 1 day a week. Plus lowering the protein, I can pretty much stay away from F'n tuna and chicken to meet the daily requirements on this diet. I've been eating that stuff for 5 years straight now.. If you like you can check out the 2 links, one describes the diet and the other has some FAQs that explains things a little better. I'm actually considering starting this diet next week. It does seem it would be easier to stay on it with the carb up day on the weekend. Only thing I'm worried about is preserving the muscle mass on such low protein. Might be worth a shot to lose a lot of body fat and keep your sanity.

http://t-mag.com/html/83diet.html

http://t-mag.com/html/body_86diet.html

I agree with the things that the both of you have been saying. Not only does that ThaOneCrumcake diet or whatever force your leptin levels to drop like a sack of potatoes but it also is almost completely impossible to stick to. The links that CBates gave you are to the T-Dawg diet, I personally have tried this diet.

I really liked it, it was basically a combination of a CKD and a TKD. A carb-up on the weekends and still consuming your postworkout carbs. Honestly its a really excellent idea. The one carbup day a week will help secrete leptin levels and the postworkout carbs will help out with recovery. Seems like a good idea to me!

CBates - The T-dawg diet also looks great. Your right about it being like the one we are on right now. The one-day carb-up also seems like a good choice. Dang dude made me wanna switch diets already!....but I think I stick to the crumcake one for now. I mean if I notice I'm not progressing weekly then I will add a carb up and re-evauluate the situation. Perhaps switch to the T-dawg. Thanks for looking out and helping me appreciate that bro.

MS - you also made some very good points in your post. The carb-up sounds like a good idea to me. Thanks for looking out bro. The post-workout carbs are great imo.

Thank you dudes and I'll be checking your journals out too!

Marcel-
    Yeah man carbups/refeeds are excellent. Help with the psycological aspect of strict dieting and help stimulate leptin and insulin levels. Basically now I am taking a CKD and NHE a step further, with the CID. Well see how things go with this diet.

Yea I will stick to the original plan of 56 days of hard as fack dieting but if I'm not progressing like I want I will alter things...carb-up...t-dawg...CID...we shall see but for now I need to be focused on crumcake diet and adjust when/if necessary.

Yea you sort of are following a hybrid of the two huh? Interesting!

Marcel-
    Yeah dude good luck with Crum's diet. It seems tough as f*ck and thats why I never gave it a shot. That along with the idea that my leptin levels would have dropped through the ground. But anyway yeah I experience GREAT results with NHE, which is sort of similar to a CID. Just moderate eating or whatever and then refeed meals/days a few times per week.

Good luck!

Date: March 21, 02

Stats:
    Before pumpin@ 3:40 - 180 & 13.5%(inaccurate)

Diet:

#6@8:00 - CFM whey(1/3cup-23gp/95cal) + Micellar casein(1/3cup-21gp/95cal) + 10ml udos(10g.f./87cal = 277 cal.

Pro.grams= 275 Fat grams= 59 Carb grams= 50 Total Cal.= 1,924

Water:
    2 gallons

Supps:
    3g Calcium, 500mg potassium, 5g. C, iu E, 300mg B6, g fiber, 3 multi-vit, 3 dym xtrm, 45 mg zinc

Training & Cardio:
    Chest, tri's and LEGS. Session went ok. Porgressed a lil bit not much though. I lowered cardio to only 20 minutes today on the bike after weights. I did moderate intesity broke a nice sweat anyways. All in all good session.

Pain/Soreness:
    Lats like crazy...

Sleep:
    10:30-6:20(7:50 great only for some reason I woke up @ 5 or so went out to the living room and layed down on the couch wtf!?!? Then I let the dog out and I went back to my bedroom and slept till 6:20)

Overall Comments:
    So far so good day 4. Ran out of MD6 and I definetly liked that better then dym...the md6 is way more powerful and it's equal dose (2 md6 = 1 dym xtrm). I will order some more md6. Great day today got my hair cut also.
    Last edited by Marcel; 03-21-2002 at 10:53 PM.

... What ever happened to Qea?

I dunno dude.