The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

El Niño Pequeño Curl Jockey!

Ok. I’m gonna keep a journal online now too! Yeaaaaa! I figure this way I can keep myself in check and be one super strict mofo. I figure about 8 weeks of super strict dieting and I will have a ripped 6 pack. I haven’t been strict for the past 2 weeks and have been b*ullshittin around too much. Even though I have been b*ullshittin around I’m still pretty lean and the veins on my biceps pop out nicely. Abs are sorta visible under good light(ha). Calfs are split down the middle too so I dunno what is up with that. Ok the diet will be NHE but I will have to do one week carb deplete completely and then I will carb-up wed. & sun. nights. Carb ups will be oats mostly. The problem with me is I’m really strict for a while then I look ripped and say fack it, I don’t have to be this strict!(hmmm...I wonder why I can’t get ripped 6pack then? Cuz too much f*ckin around and not being a strict good skool boy.) My training will be as
    follows
    Mon. OFF
    Tues.Legs(heavy)
    Wed.Arms(heavy)/Abs(light)
    Thurs. Shoulders(heavy)/Chest(light)
    Fri.OFF
    Sat.Back(heavy)/Arms(light)
    Sun. Chest(heavy)/Abs(heavy)

I know what you are gonna say...chest and arms curl jockey! but they are lagging behind my f*cken back and shoulders! I have never done a routine like this. I have always given everypart equal work and now my arms are too small for my back. Besides when my pic is up in times square for the calvin klein ad or tommy hillfiger billboard you won’t be looking at my back! Hopefully on this routine my arms will catch up to the rest. Seriously though on the light days I won’t be going to failure and it’ll just be for a good pump for the given part. Legs will include squats of course. ATF squats. Tight. Oh yea and since I still can’t post at my crib I will post while in my computer class while I should be doing dumb a$$ powerpoint work. Laterz.
    Last edited by Marcel; 02-20-2002 at 11:23 PM.
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The conviction of being a curl jockey carries a maximum penalty of 5 solid minutes of ass kicking from me and belial, be warned
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

What??? You're doing legs? You'll never get big gunz that way. Look at Fart Barker's journal.

Seriously, though, did you get your routine outta Ironman. It kinda looks like the POF stuff they do. Not personally a fan of light/heavy days, but to be fair I've never tried them, so I can't talk. And that seems like an awful lot of volume while dieting. But what do I know? Besides, I've done far sillier things to beef up my own piddly arms(Doing Poliquin's 9 hour One Day Arm-Cure comes to mind.) Best of luck.

Weight @ 2:30 - 185 & inaccurate bf 16%
    Diet.
    #1@6:30 - 30 g AP(200 cals) + 1 table flax(14g.f.130cals) - 330 cals
    #2@9:15 - skipped
    #3@12:15 - skipped
    #4@2:30 - 30 g AP(200cals) + 1 table flax(14g.f.130cals) - 330 cals
    #5@5:30 - 30 g vp2(200 cals) + 1 table flax(14g.f.130 cals) - 330 cals
    #6@7 - 5 oz eye round(31p.g.+ 5 f.g 175cals) + 2 oz cheese(14 p.g. +18 f.g. 220 cals) - 395cals
    #7@9 - nah.
    Pro.grams =121 Fat grams=56 Carb grams= Total Cals. 1,385
    Water.
    2 gallons perfect

Overall Comments.
    Calories way too low. It was a crazy day today and I didn’t go to skool so that messed up my eating schedule. Felt okay though. Pretty lean. No water bloat or nothing.

Pain/Soreness.
    None.

Sleep.
    Great. I got 8 hours.

Supplements.
    2 multi-vitamins, 3g. calcium, 3g. C, 800 iu E, and 4 lovely Biotest MD-6

Training & Cardio.
    Legs. 45 min. & went good improved on all. Knee bugging a lil during squats so i moved them last after leg ext. and leg curls. Cardio was great 30 min (26 min sprints of 20 sec. and 10 sec. really slow & repeat).
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

Stats: @ 2:30 – too rushed to get to gym.

Nutrition:
    #1@ 6:30 – 30 g AP(200 cal.) + 10ml flax(9g.f./87 cal.) – 287 cal.
    #2@ 9:15 – 5 oz top round(31p.g./5f.g./ 175 cal.) + 10ml flax(9g.f./87 cal.) – 262 cal.
    #3@ 12:15 – 5 oz. top round(31p.g./5f.g./175 cal.) + 10 ml flax(9g.f./87 cal.) – 262 cal.
    #4 @ 2:30 - 30 g AP(200 cal.) + 15ml flax(14g.f./130 cal.) – 330 cal.
    #5@ 5:30 - 30 g AP(200 cal.) + 10ml flax(9g.f./87 cal.) – 287 cal.
    #6@ 7:00 – 30 g AP(200 cal.) + 10ml flax(9g.f./87 cal.) – 287 cal.
    #7 @ 9:00 – 2 cheese sticks (14 g.p./18 g.f./200 cal) – 200 cal.
    Pro.g. = 196 / Fatty g. = 77 / Carb g. = 0 TOTAL CAL – 1,915

Water: 2 gallons (easy)

Overall Comments:
    Ummm…too many pro. Shakes but it was a busy busy day. That’s why they make em eh?

Date: Feb.14, 2002

Stats:
    Before pumpin@ not taken today.

Diet:
    #1@6:30 - 30g AP(200 cal.) + 10 ml flax(9f.g./87 cal.) - 287 cal.
    #2@9:15 - 5 oz top round(31p.g./5f.g./ 175 cal.) + 10ml flax(9g.f./87 cal.) – 262 cal.
    #3@12:15 - forgot it!
    #4@2:30 - 5 oz top round(31p.g./5f.g./ 175 cal.) + 2 cheesesticks(14p.g./18f.g./210 cal.) - 385 cals
    #5@5:30 - 4 oz monterrey cheese( 28p.g.+36f.g.) - 440 cal.
    #6@7 - out, didnt mind had a lil too much cheese meal before
    #7@9 -

Pro.grams = 134 Fat grams= 72 Carb grams= 0 Total Cal.= 1,374

Water: 2 gallons

Supps: 2gC + 800 iuE + 4 md

Training & Cardio:
    None today. Was so tired today I even skipped any cardio. Feel refreshed now though. Too low cals messed up schedule.

Pain/Soreness:
    My teardrop on quads. Funny how if I only do squats teardrop isn't sore but when I throw leg ext. in the mix I feel teardrop sore.

Sleep:
    sucky my schedule is all messed up but this is day 2 of new schedule...I'm at school too much! Need to pack 3 meals now! not ace.

Overall Comments:
    Great day today at skool. Longer day facked me up pretty good though. Forgot one meal and didnt know I was gonna be there so long. Tomorrow the girls are in for a surprise...I got my haircut and sideburns cut off...
    Last edited by Marcel; 02-14-2002 at 10:22 PM.

Just Pup - haha! just bring it...

Blood&Iron - I got the idea of light/heavy days while reading a periodization article by some dude I forget his name. I asked Powerman bout it and he said I could focus on a given body part by doing more heavy sessions for it. So I'm gonna hit EVERY BODY PART 1 time a week. Just that for arms and chest add a light session with 75% weight not even near failure. I read the POF articles your talking about. I have never periodized before but I feel like I have to now. Arms should be bigger. LoL 9 hour arm cure!
    Last edited by Marcel; 02-14-2002 at 10:38 PM.

Date: Feb.15, 2002

Stats:
    Before pumpin@

Diet:
    #1@6:30 - 30g AP(200 cal.) + 10 ml flax(9f.g./87 cal.) - 287 cal.
    #2@9:15 - 2 cheesesticks(14p.g./18f.g./210 cal.)
    #3@12:15 - 2 cheesesticks(14p.g./18f.g./210 cal.)
    #4@2:30 -
    #5@5:30 -
    #6@7 -
    #7@9 -

Pro.grams = Fat grams= Carb grams= Total Cal.=

Water:

Supps:

Training & Cardio:

Pain/Soreness:

Sleep:

Overall Comments:
    Last edited by Marcel; 02-15-2002 at 11:17 AM.

I can post at my crib now!!!! Yeaaaa! I will update this everyday now! I'm happy.

Date: Feb.20, 2002

Stats:
    Before pumpin@ 3:40 - 181.5 & 16% (not accurate at all!)

Diet:
    #1@6:30 - 34 g.p.(152 cals) + 10ml flax(9f.g./87 cal.) = 239 cal.
    #2@9:15 - 6 oz. steak(38 g.p./210 cals/6 g.f.) + 5 ml flax(5g.f./43 cals) = 253 cal.
    #3@12:15 - 6 oz. chicken(38g.p./168 cals/2g.f.) + 10ml flax(9f.g./87 cal.) = 255 cal.
    #4@3:30 - 34 g.p.(152 cals) + 10ml flax(9f.g./87 cal.) = 239 cal
    #5@6:00 - 34 g.p.(152 cals) + 10ml flax(9f.g./87 cal.) = 239 cal
    #6@8:00 - 6 oz. chicken(38g.p./168 cals/2g.f.) + 5 ml flax(5g.f./43 cals) & some mushrooms = 211 cal.
    #7@10 -

Pro.grams = 216 Fat grams= 54 Carb grams= Total Cal.= 1,436

Water: 2 gallons

Supps:
    2 multi-vitamins, 3g. calcium, 3g. C, 800 iu E, and 6 lovely Biotest MD-6, 300 mg potassium, 1 b-6, 30 mg zinc

Training & Cardio:
    Arms. progressed nicely. bike 30 min. 30/30 sprints. ace.

Pain/Soreness:
    Chest.

Sleep:
    Went to bed at 11 got up at 6:20. What a joker.

Overall Comments:
    Pretty ace day. I'm getting used to this new schedule so everything will be cool now.
    Last edited by Marcel; 02-20-2002 at 11:18 PM.

Date: Feb.21, 2002

Stats:
    Before pumpin@ 3:40 - 181 & 16%

Diet:
    #1@6:30 - 2oz. cheese(14g.p./18g.f.) - 220 cal.( felt like having real food but had no chicken or steak cooked.)
    #2@9:15 - 6 oz. steak(38 g.p./210 cals/6 g.f.) + 5 ml flax(5g.f./43 cals) = 253 cal.
    #3@12:15 - 6 oz. steak(38 g.p./210 cals/6 g.f.) + 10ml flax(9g.f./87 cals) = 297 cal.
    #4@3:30 - 34 g.p.(152 cals) + 10ml flax(9f.g./87 cal.) = 239 cal
    #6@8:00 - 6 oz. steak(38 g.p./210 cals/6 g.f.) + 5 ml flax(5g.f./43 cals) + mushrooms&celery = 253 cal
    #7@10 -

Pro.grams = 196 Fat grams= 67 Carb grams= Total Cal.= 1,501

Water:
    2 gallons

Supps:
    3g. calcium, 400 mg pottas.,1 b-6, 6 md6, 45 mg zinc, 4g C, 800 iu E

Training & Cardio:
    Shoulders. Cardio 30 min.

Pain/Soreness:
    Chest and tris

Sleep:
    11-6:20

Overall Comments:
    Pretty good day. Felt good. No cravings at all.
    Last edited by Marcel; 02-22-2002 at 04:39 PM.

Date: Feb.22, 2002

Stats:
    Before pumpin@ 3:40 -

Diet:
    #1@6:30 - 2oz cheese - 220 cal.
    #2@9:15 - 6 oz. chicken(38g.p./168 cals/2g.f.) + 10ml flax(9f.g./87 cal.) = 255 cal.
    #3@12:15 - 6 oz. chicken(38g.p./168 cals/2g.f.) + 5ml flax(5f.g./43 cal.) = 211 cal.
    #4@3:30 - 2oz cheese - 220 cal
    #6@8:00 -
    #7@10 -

Pro.grams = Fat grams= Carb grams= Total Cal.=

Water:

Supps:
    3g. Calcium, 200mg pottassium, 1g C, 10g fiber, 4md6, 20g fiber,

Training & Cardio:
    no pumpin today. Gonna do a hardcore tready session at home though. Prolly do 1/1 sprints
    Pain/Soreness:
    Chest. light session helped though. calves.
    Sleep:
    11-6:10

Overall Comments:
    felt all refreshed today for some reason.
    Last edited by Marcel; 02-25-2002 at 10:44 AM.

Date: Feb.25, 2002

Stats:
    Before pumpin@ 3:40 - 183.5 & 14%

Diet:
    #1@6:30 - 3 tablesp. almond butter(27 f.g.) = 330 cal.
    #2@9:15 - 6 oz. steak(38 g.p./210 cals/6 g.f.) + 5 ml udos(5g.f./43 cals) = 253 cal.
    #3@12:15 - 6 oz. steak(38 g.p./210 cals/6 g.f.) + 5 ml udos(5g.f./43 cals) = 253 cal.
    #4@3:30 - 1/2 cup whey(35g.p./144 cal.) + 15ml udos(14g.f./135 cal.) = 279 cal.
    #5@6:00 - 1/2 cup whey(35g.p./144 cal.) + 15ml flax(14g.f./135 cal.) = 279 cal.
    #6@8:00 - 6 oz. steak(38 g.p./210 cals/6 g.f.) + 5 ml udos(5g.f./43 cals)+ romaine lettuce = 253 cal.
    #7@10 -

Pro.grams=184 Fat grams= 88 Carb grams= Total Cal.= 1,647

Water:
    2 gallons

Supps:
    3g. Calcium, 400mg pottassium, 30g fiber, 6md6, 2 g C, 800 iu E, 1 multi-vit/min, 45 mg zinc

Training & Cardio:
    Chest&Abs. 30 min bike 30/30

Pain/Soreness:
    None.

Sleep:
    11:30-6:10 (6hours&40min. - felt fine but need a lil more)

Overall Comments:
    Good. Goal is to lose 2 lbs. per week. As long as I improve my workouts slightly or they stay the same and i'm getting shredded it's all good. I lost 3 pounds since last week, and i improved only a couple reps this past workout so it was all fat.cool.

Oh yea I worked out with my ex-girl today.
    Last edited by Marcel; 02-27-2002 at 09:40 PM.

Date: Feb.26, 2002

Stats:
    Before pumpin@ 3:40 - 183 & 14.5%

Diet:
    #2@9:15 - 6 oz. chicken(38g.p./168 cals/2g.f.) + 5ml udos(5f.g./43 cal.) = 211 cal.
    #3@12:15 - 6 oz. chicken(38g.p./168 cals/2g.f.) + 5ml udos(5f.g./43 cal.) = 211 cal.
    #4@3:30 - - 6 oz. chicken(38g.p./168 cals/2g.f.) + 10ml udos(10g.f./87cal.) = 255
    #5@6:00 - 34 g.p.(152 cals) + 10ml udos(10g.f./87cal.) = 255
    #6@8:00 - 6 oz. steak(38 g.p./210 cals/6 g.f.) + 5 ml udos(5g.f./43 cals) = 253 cal.
    #7@10 - 2 tablesp. almond butter(18g.f.) - 220 cals

Pro.grams= 186 Fat grams= 90 Carb grams= Total Cal.= 1,735

Water:
    2 gallons

Supps:
    3g Calcium, 400mg pottassium,3g C, 6 md-6, 30g fiber, 800iu E, 2 multi, 45 mg zinc

Training & Cardio:
    Trained legs today. Pre-exhausted with leg ext and leg curls before squats. Reason for this is cuz my right knee is bugging me when I bend down. Didn't hurt as much as last week though. Cardio was 30 min 30/30 bike.

Pain/Soreness:
    None.

Sleep:
    11-6:15 (7:15 hours good.)

Overall Comments:
    Good day. Feeling lean.
    Last edited by Marcel; 02-27-2002 at 09:40 PM.

Date: Feb.27, 2002

Stats:
    Before pumpin@ 3:40 - 180.5 & 14.5%

Diet:
    #2@9:15 - 6 oz. steak(38 g.p./210 cals/6 g.f.) + 5 ml udos(5g.f./43 cals) = 253 cal.
    #3@12:15 - 6 oz. steak(38 g.p./210 cals/6 g.f.) + 5 ml udos(5g.f./43 cals) = 253 cal.
    #4@3:30 - 6 oz. steak(38 g.p./210 cals/6 g.f.) + 3 tablesp. almond butter(27 f.g./330 cal.)+ romaine lettuce = 540
    #5@6:00 - 34 g.p.(152 cals) + 10ml udos(10g.f./87cal.) = 255
    #6@8:00 - 6 oz. chicken(38g.p./168 cals/2g.f.) + 1 tablesp. almond butter(9g.f./110)+ romaine lettuce = 278
    #7@10 -

Pro.grams= 186 Fat grams= 103 Carb grams= Total Cal.= 1,909

Water:
    2 gallons

Supps:
    3g Calcium, 400mg pottassium,4g C, 6 md-6, 40g fiber, 800iu E, 2 multi-vit,

Training & Cardio:
    Did Arms today. I switched up to only 5 sets for bi's and tri's respectively. Ace session went up in reps on all exercises but just by a few. What can I expect though with low cals and 30 min (bike 30/30 sprints)cardio. I'll take it! My ex kicked the back of my leg today at the gym on purpose and then said oops. ace.

Pain/Soreness:
    Hammys and lower glutes. Upper quads felt sore at about 4:30 though.

Sleep:
    11:30-6:15 (6:45 could use a lil more.)

Overall Comments:
    Feel good today. Low carbs dont get to me til after working out but even then it's not so bad yet. I will carb load when I feel its necessary. Had a crazy ass craving for carbs but I will wait till Sunday.
    Last edited by Marcel; 02-27-2002 at 09:47 PM.

Marcel-
    Damn bro good to see someone else an NHE advocate. Ill be checking out your journal on a daily basis, keep it up!

Looks good so far.

Monstar - Hey wazzup bro? Thanks for checking my journal out. I appreciate it. This diet kicks a$$ huh!?!? I'm trying to be as strict as possible because I really wanna get shredded come May.

I'm kinda really low on cals right now but I have gone up in reps in all sessions so that's cool. My metabolism is thrifty like dat! haha! I think I will start posting poundages for my workouts also. Okay dude laterz.

Date: Feb.28, 2002

Stats:
    Before pumpin@ 3:40 -

Diet:
    #1@6:30 - 6 oz. chicken(38g.p./168 cals/2g.f.) + 10ml udos(10g.f./87cal.) = 255
    #4@3:30 - frozen yogurt and bagels
    #5@6:00 - needed nap
    #6@8:00 - frozen yogurt and bagels
    #7@10 -

Pro.grams= Fat grams= Carb grams= Total Cal.=

Water:
    2 gallons

Supps:
    3g Calcium, 200mg pottassium,1g C, 4 feet sweating hand sweating md6,

Training & Cardio:
    I will have Shoulders today.

Didn't do anything today but nap. I skipped my shoulder session tomorrow will be made up though instead of an off day.

Pain/Soreness:
    None yet. Tri's a lil bit now.

Sleep:
    1-6:20(5:20 Shiiiiiat thaz low but didnt mind) Didnt mind all day but at about 2 pm i was sooooo tired all i wanted to do was go home and sleep. i think that i will need to go to bed no later then 11:30 or else i will just wanna nap

Overall Comments:
    Didnt keep track of my carbs but nothing overboard but will prolly hold a few pounds of water. I carbed up because I felt I needed to. Felt nice and lean all day but then i got really tired. We'll wait and see what i weigh tomorrow pre workout. till then!
    Last edited by Marcel; 02-28-2002 at 11:08 PM.

Marcel-
    A few things that I wanted to comment on. First of all I believe that you couting calories, grams of protein, grams of carbs, and grams of fat, is ridiculous. I just dont think that its necessary. I mean honestly Rob says again and again in his book that theres no need for it. Other than that things look good. Be sure to pile in the carbs on your carb-up, that really has a tremendous effect on the quality of your workouts etc.

... Ever try Atkin's Endulge bars? Wow better then Hershey bars if you ask me.

MS - yea i know what you mean bro but I'm used to it by now. It's pretty easy to do and I feel like I can adjust once I stagnate.

Nope haven't tried them. I should get some though so I can have them when I go out ya know? I will buy some and get back to ya on that aight. Laterz dude.

Marcel-
    Oh okay bro. Also I am curious what version of Biotest's MD-6 are you currently using? Is it the version like ECY stack with guggul or nah?

MS - its the ecy with ala. pretty crazy shiat i would say because i have never felt an ec like this one before. just pisses me off that some pills are half full but not many.

Marcel-
    Thats very wierd that some of the pills are 1/2 full I have never heard of anything like that before.

Pretty sneaky too they use a red colored capsule so you cant see in them. hehehe...but i chew on it them before swallowing them. Also you can squeeze the pill and feel the inside not being full and some are.

What a GREAT f*cken weekend! Sat night my friend threw a party at his house. Had a great f*cken time. It's hilarious that all the girls try to get me drunk! One of the chicks told me they wanted to get me drunk so they could f*ck me! great stuff! My dawgs are cool with me not drinking but the b*tches just try to force the **** down me! It's great! So did they succeed? Nope! but did i still hook up? OF course! A chick tried to rip my pants off and was trying to unbutton me! great stuff! I luv it! Strip poker all girls tried to get me butt naked and were cheating!

Diet wise...didn't drink none...woke up in the morning looked through my friends fridge for some protein and found eggs ace. Then also some whey in the cabinets. cool. Then I we went out with some girls and I ate too many carbs. oh well. All in all great weekend. Feeling pretty lean. Family is over for some carne asada! ace!