The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Journal

It's been four months since I last posted. In that time I have worked out on and off. Now I am laid off for the next two or three months and have a lot of spare time. I need to get back into good overall shape while trying to add some weight to my lifts.

Speedbag- fifteen minutes

Cleans
    155 x 6
    155 x 6
    155 x 6

Incline Bench
    255 x 6
    255 x 6
    255 x 6

Core work
    Planks 3 sets for time
    Supermen 3 sets for time
    Crunches

Overall a decent workout. Cleans were fast and more for technique. Bench was good. Speedbag was awful, but I haven't used in a long time. I still have to do cardio later today and heavy bag work. I am also working on putting a pull up bar in. At some point I want to buy a power rack, but the cheapest I can find is close to four hundred. Weight was 220.
    Last edited by Mike G; 01-28-2007 at 02:21 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

whatup mike? SOLID incline bench
    2000 or bust

Twenty minutes on the elliptical. Heavy bag and speed bag. Feels good to use the bags again.

Stump- checked out your log, getting real strong bro. Great job.

Twenty two minutes on the elliptical. Static stretching. Thinking about doing the Crossfit WOD as well from now on. I have ten extra hours each day now that I am laid off. Most of it will be spent with my son, but I still have a lot of time to workout. Also thinking about incorporating sandbags into my routine. Other ideas are welcomed and encouraged.
    Last edited by Mike G; 01-03-2007 at 07:10 AM.

Deadlift
    135 x 10
    225 x 8
    275 x 5
    315 x 5
    365 x 1
    385 x 1

Twenty pounds off my PR. Not bad considering I haven't done them in about three and a half months. Still not very good, but it's a new starting point. These were also with a regular stance and my previous 405 was sumo. They actually felt good regular and I am going to stick with that for now.

Put the pull up bar in. Two metal brackets drilled into floor joices with a thick bar sitting between them. Works for now and will definitely work my grip. Now if I could only do pull ups.

nice deads mike
    2000 or bust

Close Grip
    255 x 3
    265 x 3
    285 x 2

Squats
    135 x 20

Worked form on close grip after my sets. Elbows are flaring too much on the way up. 285 was a good weight and I think I could have gotten three, but no spot. Didn't want to be pinned in the basement until my girlfriend missed me, would have been a long time.
    Last edited by Mike G; 01-28-2007 at 02:22 PM.

Barbell Rows
    255 x 3
    255 x 3
    255 x 3

Some speed bag and heavy bag work. Rows were pretty strict. I am going to start 5x5 this coming week. I think that is my best bet at this point. WOD on my off days, possibly on lifting days as well. Diet and cardio this week.
    Last edited by Mike G; 01-06-2007 at 05:13 PM.

Played tackle football for the first time in years today. It was against a bunch of guys I coached the last few years who are playing in college (DIII). It was definitely an eye opener, as I am in very bad shape. Held my own though and it was more fun than I expected. Imagine I will be sore tomorrow. Clean eating and full routine start tomorrow, so tonight I binge.

First day of 5x5. This time I read an article and realized I have always done it wrong according to this routine. Only the last set of the 5x5 is heavy, the other four are buildups. I imagine this change will really help add some strength without burning out.

One mile on the bike

Squat
    205 x 5

Flat
    260 x 5

Rows
    230 x 5

The next four weeks are a gradual buildup to my best set of five for each lift. Today was not very heavy for any lift and I will just skip the buildup since they are all basically warmups. The bench was slightly heavier than I expected, but this is the first time I have flat benched in a few months. Ran some full court basketball afterwards for about two hours. Pretty wooped at the end, but it was nice to play again. Really need to work on my jumper.

Good looking workouts man, you have good bench strength.

strong work mike
    2000 or bust

Nice start with the 5 x 5, you'll be raising up past previous levels in no time...great seeing the efforts again.

Kevin- You say that everytime you read one of my journals and it is always appreciated. I was glad to see you aren't stopping altogether, just a change.

Stump- Thanks bro, not a real heavy day. Still a nice start.

Cocoa- I hope so. Thanks for stopping in.

I actually feel pretty good today. Figured I would be sore from basketball. Core work today and hopefully more basketball. I would much rather play b ball than sit on a machine for cardio.

Yesterday

Bike
    10 minutes

Decline situps
    3x8

Medicine Ball twists
    3x8

Box Jumps
    3x8

Was going to do more, but there was open gym. Decided to play basketball again, played for an hour and a half. Diet has been better, but still needs work. Had to finish off some ice cream last night and now that it's gone I don't have to worry about it. Weights later today.

Well you've got some awesome pressing strength man especially that incline. Incline benching 255 for sets and reps is awesome, I dont think i've incline bb benched in years.. I definitelly wouldnt quit lifting, I just need to switch things up a bit plus I think with some better conditioning I could push my lifts further then they were stalling at before hand.

Kevin- I'm going to be keeping a close eye on your journal. I want to start incorporating much more plyo/agility/mobility work into my routines. More than likely lift three days, do that two to three days. Any tips would be appreciated. I have done a bunch of reading and I really want to incorporate other types of training into my routine. Start becoming more functionally strong.
    Last edited by Mike G; 01-11-2007 at 07:39 AM.

Good work with the miscellaneous training and basketball Mike.

Coke- Thanks a lot. Trying to use different methods than I have in the past. It was a real easy day, but a start.

Plyo's are real fun and im real excited to start doing bag work, sprints, swimming, agility drills, etc... once I get out to San Francisco. I'm still trying to figure out what agility drills I wanna do.

Squat
    165 x 5

Deadlift
    300 x 5

Standing Militaries
    170 x 5

Overall pretty good. Deads felt very light and I think my form is getting much better. Militaries felt very good and were all to chest. My squat feels way off. Too much emphasis in my quads and almost nothing in my glutes and hammies. No clue what I am doing wrong. Before I had my knee worked on I always felt it in my hammies and glutes. Since, very little. The only thing I know is that I go deep, below parallel. I would post a vid, but I have no idea how to put one up. Advice is welcomed as always.

Improving your form on deads is always sweet...nice job though very brief with just one set each movement.

Cocoa- the 5 x 5 routine I am following has four warm up sets and then only one heavy set. I don't see the point in writing down all of the lighter sets, so I just post the last set. Pretty much twenty or thirty pound jumps to the final weight. I am also on a buildup to my predicted max 5, so the weight is still pretty light on everything. This goes for three weeks and then I start hitting my heavy failures. I am actually following the plan this time and not starting out with my heaviest weight. Hopefully this will let me make some nice gains, while trying to lose weight. Thanks for stopping as always.

Bench
    135 x 5
    165 x 5
    205 x 5
    230 x 5
    270 x 3

Rows
    135x5
    170 x 5
    185 x 5
    205 x 5
    245 x 3

Today was a build up for next Monday. Bench was extremely light and I imagine the five on Monday will be good. Rows were good enough. I messed the week up, so no squats today since I did them yesterday. Overall it was a good first week. I am tempted to forego the lighter weeks and jump into heavy 5's, but as of now I will stick to the plan. I really like one heavy set of five or three at the end. I think it will allow me to stick to the plan and make really good progress in the next few months.