Thread: Need help with my routine.

Extreme Ectomorph

Need help with my routine.

It's my New Years Res to get back into the gym properly, been doing a half-arsed routine for abou two months. I've done a lot of reading recently and I want to try doing my own routine.
    I don't have any access to any fancy machines, just a power rack, adjustable bench (which I place into the power rack for bench press, etc) an adjustable barbell, spinlock dumbbells and weights. Oh, the power rack has a high-low cable attachment for seated rows and lat pull downs, etc.

I'm an ectomorph and prone to over training, so I'm looking at doing all the major movements with only a few extra minor ones. A three day split would be best, here's what I had in mind.

Day 1 - Chest and Shoulders.

Bench Press.
    DB Press.
    Military Press.
    DB upright press, or Arnold Press.

Day 2 - Legs.

Squat.
    Full Squat.
    BBell calf raises.

Day 3 - Back.

Deadlift.
    Lat pull down.
    Bent over row.
    Shrugs.

What I'm unsure of is where to put bicep and tricep excersies. I used to do triceps at the end of chest day, and biceps at the end of back day. However I've read it is better to swap them around, that way they're not tired from assisting in the major lifts and you can really drill them. Then again, maybe I should do them both on legs day, as that day is pretty bland. I've also read that doing Bi's and Tri's back to back is good for you too, as the blood is rushing to the same area.
    What of forearms and abs? Should I do them as en ectomorph, or wait till I've put on some mass first? If I were to do them, what day would they be best on?

Thanks for any help guys, feel free to comment on my routine. I'm rather overwhelmed by all the information out there on weightlifting, and many of it contradicts the other, so I'm not sure what to believe. Any advice would be more than welcome though. Thanks again, and happy new year.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrobins View Post
    It's my New Years Res to get back into the gym properly, been doing a half-arsed routine for abou two months. I've done a lot of reading recently and I want to try doing my own routine.
    I don't have any access to any fancy machines, just a power rack, adjustable bench (which I place into the power rack for bench press, etc) an adjustable barbell, spinlock dumbbells and weights. Oh, the power rack has a high-low cable attachment for seated rows and lat pull downs, etc.

I'm an ectomorph and prone to over training, so I'm looking at doing all the major movements with only a few extra minor ones. A three day split would be best, here's what I had in mind.

Day 1 - Chest and Shoulders.

Bench Press.
    DB Press.
    Military Press.
    DB upright press, or Arnold Press.

Day 2 - Legs.

Squat.
    Full Squat.
    BBell calf raises.

Day 3 - Back.

Deadlift.
    Lat pull down.
    Bent over row.
    Shrugs.

What I'm unsure of is where to put bicep and tricep excersies. I used to do triceps at the end of chest day, and biceps at the end of back day. However I've read it is better to swap them around, that way they're not tired from assisting in the major lifts and you can really drill them. Then again, maybe I should do them both on legs day, as that day is pretty bland. I've also read that doing Bi's and Tri's back to back is good for you too, as the blood is rushing to the same area.
    What of forearms and abs? Should I do them as en ectomorph, or wait till I've put on some mass first? If I were to do them, what day would they be best on?

Thanks for any help guys, feel free to comment on my routine. I'm rather overwhelmed by all the information out there on weightlifting, and many of it contradicts the other, so I'm not sure what to believe. Any advice would be more than welcome though. Thanks again, and happy new year.
    How many sets and reps are you doing?

It doesn't really matter where you put biceps and triceps. These are small muscles and as speaking as a former ecto myself you will likely see more benefit to those muscles by benching,chinning, deadlifting... That said, I prefer biceps with chest and triceps with back but again it's not going to really hinder your development (unless you are doing 20 sets per bodypart

Your forearms will get plenty of work on Day 1 and 3. Unless your grip/development is lagging there is no need to do specialized work on them. Abs can be trained with crunches and hanging leg raises at the end or beginning of any workout or even an off day as most ab work can be done with no equipment.

One final thing. Be sure and take at least ONE full rest day between workouts. Your body grows out of the gym (with rest and food) not in the gym. Looks like a fairly solid routine. The only thing I'd change is I'd drop the last exercise of Day 1. On top of all the other work that adds up to a lot of pressing for shoulders... and then they get hit again on day 3.

Extreme Ectomorph
    Usually 2-3 sets of about 5-8 reps. Yeah, I plan on taking a days rest, will be Monday, Wednesday and Friday I workout. Every other day I'll rest. So you think just three workouts on day 1 is enough for my entire chest and shoulders?

Thanks for the response.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Usually 2-3 sets of about 5-8 reps. Yeah, I plan on taking a days rest, will be Monday, Wednesday and Friday I workout. Every other day I'll rest. So you think just three workouts on day 1 is enough for my entire chest and shoulders?

Thanks for the response.
    You're welcome. Yes three exercises should be enough...provided you give 100% to each and every set, eat lots and get plenty of rest. Your shoulders are worked indirectly with chest and back exercises, so you've got about 20 sets total during the week where they are involved. More than enough for them. But if you feel like your chest needs more work, you could add dips which are a major compound movement like the other ones.

Extreme Ectomorph
    One other thing, you said you used to be ectomorph. Does that mean you changed your body type? Is this possible? I know my mother was a skinny of a figure before I was born, ever since then though she can't lose weight no matter how hard she tries.

Thanks again.

One other thing, you said you used to be ectomorph. Does that mean you changed your body type? Is this possible? I know my mother was a skinny of a figure before I was born, ever since then though she can't lose weight no matter how hard she tries.

Thanks again.
    Of course you can. Think of a skinny, lanky guy getting into body building and gaining 40-50 pounds.

If your mom has really, honestly, truly, tried everything, she needs to see a doctor. I'm not sure of all the obesity causing diseases, but the first that springs to mind is Cushing's disease. No matter what, these people still cannot drop weight. It often goes undetected too.

But if your mom is like your average Joe, I'd imagine she's tried everything except a proper diet and exercise.

As for the topic creator, I'd add some hamstring work to leg day. It's too bare! I don't mean leg curls. Add some good mornings and/or Romanian DL's.

I probably wouldn't do shoulders the same day as my chest. During benchpress your shoulders get a lot of work too, so it seems like a little too much shoulder work on one day.

It actually looks like you're trying to develop something similar to the split I'm already on. I had to go to a three day because of work and soon school. I made it myself, and it also has a little tricep and bicep work but nearly all of the exercises you already have listed.

It's in my journal at the bottom of my sig. You should check it out.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

kmrobins, after reading your journal, think of what you would look like with 60-80 pounds more on your frame. You'd essentially become a mesomorph assuming you gained that weight in a healthy fashion and lifted weights the whole time.

As a matter of fact, I probably could have been considered an ectomorph at one point in my life.
    Last edited by Chris686; 01-01-2007 at 08:53 PM.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

I agree with the comment about your leg day. I think you could do a bit more. In my opinion I think you would be better off doing something like:

Good Mornings
    Full Squats
    Lunges
    Calf Raises

You have the necessary equipment (a barbell and weights) so why not?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    One other thing, you said you used to be ectomorph. Does that mean you changed your body type? Is this possible? Thanks again.

Yes it is. The body types ecto, meso and endo are NOT set types. Actually they are more labels than anything else. Proper diet, rest and exercise can turn an ecto into a meso, and a endo into a meso as well.
    In my case I added 70 lbs (nearly all muscle as I could still fit into nearly all my pants...waist size) and people now think I am/was naturally muscular. It does take time though.