The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

working out at work....

Not that I'm bored at work :evillaugh , but I work in a relaxed, low-key work enviroment. I'm usually on the phones or talking to clients, or even doing paperwork in my office. Usually have a hand free so I was thinking about bringing a small dumbell in the office for curls, or possibly one of the grip strength trainers for when I'm feeling bored. Anyone else doing any "working-out" while at work...not counting those doing tetious laborsome construction type work...obviously your working your arse off....

My arms, particularly my forarmes, palm side and outter are lacking muscle compared to my upperbody so I was thinking the grip trainers would help this? Any thoughts? Obviously the thickness of my lower arms/wrist and hand muscle is alot due to bone structure and genetics but their seriously lacking, I'm sure working in an office on the computer all day dont do much help either....
    BULKING HARD: :evillaugh
    11/14/06, 6'0" 181.5lbs
    11/28/06, 6'0" 186.5lbs
    01/02/07, 6'0" 195.5lbs

Goals:
    05/01/07, 6'0" 220 lbs
    11/14/08, 6'0" 250lbs

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Grippers= Ok

Dumbell=.......well, lets just say what would you do if you walked into someones cubicle, and they were doing hammer curls.....lol

anyway, You grow outside of the gym, not inside..im sure theres plenty of other things you could do when bored?
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

Grip training could be done, but just like other stuff, you don't do it non-stop all day. It would be a decent way to waste 20 minutes 2-3 times a week.
    Nick V

McV: tru about the growing but how much is gripers or curling a dumbell here and there really gonna work me, figured It would be a good way to pass away 8hrs, but I have my own office, plus I'm the only one in the office from 5-8pm, I close. I could get an all out exercise routine going in here

Unreal I like the thought of 2-3 days a week on my off days, 5 mins per hand, 2 x a day.....I think that would greatly help with keeping grip on larger weights....
    11/14/06, 6'0" 181.5lbs
    11/28/06, 6'0" 186.5lbs
    01/02/07, 6'0" 195.5lbs

Goals:
    05/01/07, 6'0" 220 lbs
    11/14/08, 6'0" 250lbs

I dont have time to go to the gym so I have to sculpt my guns in the office. This one time, I took my shirt off and was doing bicep curls when I called my secretary in. When she came in, I cunning started counting reps at 1000 to make her think I was very strong, and acted like I could barely lift my right arm because I did so many.
    "Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy ass weight!" - Ronnie Coleman

"You've got to love what you're doing. If you love it, you can overcome any handicap or the soreness or all the aches and pains, and continue to play for a long, long time." -Gordie Howe

Quote Originally Posted by hoser813 View Post
    I dont have time to go to the gym so I have to sculpt my guns in the office. This one time, I took my shirt off and was doing bicep curls when I called my secretary in. When she came in, I cunning started counting reps at 1000 to make her think I was very strong, and acted like I could barely lift my right arm because I did so many.
    LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by hoser813 View Post
    delivery was poor man lol
    I agree with McVein

Quote Originally Posted by JDiesel View Post
    McV: tru about the growing but how much is gripers or curling a dumbell here and there really gonna work me, figured It would be a good way to pass away 8hrs, but I have my own office, plus I'm the only one in the office from 5-8pm, I close. I could get an all out exercise routine going in here

Unreal I like the thought of 2-3 days a week on my off days, 5 mins per hand, 2 x a day.....I think that would greatly help with keeping grip on larger weights....
    Yeah but....Why?? when im bored i dont lift weights.....if you have a routine mate, then stick to it....the grippers are great, but that of course is in moderation....dumbells on the other hand, leave em in the gym

sidenote: ever thought about going hands free? then you could do pushups and all sorts in there
    I agree with McVein

Why? well why not....Im honestly pry going to get the grippers for helping my grip and forearm strength....but I will pry leave the curlers for the gym and at home.....I have weights at home but I only kick my own ass with them when I get home from the gym and dont feel like I worked hard enough.

yea I have a hands free routine before every shower doing about 50-100 push-ups, some close and some wide stance....I have a pretty good routine right now...Just kinda seeing If anyone else was in my boat
    11/14/06, 6'0" 181.5lbs
    11/28/06, 6'0" 186.5lbs
    01/02/07, 6'0" 195.5lbs

Goals:
    05/01/07, 6'0" 220 lbs
    11/14/08, 6'0" 250lbs

you grow outside not inside.....

the handsfree thing was a joke btw.....i meant a handsfree phone set, so you could do pushups while on the phone.......

...................................anyone??
    Last edited by McVein; 01-02-2007 at 02:45 PM.
    I agree with McVein

Quote Originally Posted by McVein View Post
    you grow outside not inside.....
    Stop saying that. I know it's true, but he's not talking about doing heavy sets of deadlifts in his office for 8 hours. I can't imagine doing some grip training at work would have any negative effects.

If you want to do it man, just do it. Grip training would be great. Would help on those heavy deads.

Obviously don't do anything huge, but I don't think you had that in mind in the first place. You'll be fine.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Banned
    I worked in a mailroom for a few months and I was bored ****less. There was one guy who would stamp letters while in the bottom position of squat.....looked like he was on the crapper, but he could stay there for a long time. He would also do dips or pushup on the edge of a table.
    I would do grip training a few times a week, but really there isn't much of a point. I think a PSP would be a better investment

Quote Originally Posted by Chris686 View Post
    Stop saying that. I know it's true, but he's not talking about doing heavy sets of deadlifts in his office for 8 hours. I can't imagine doing some grip training at work would have any negative effects.

If you want to do it man, just do it. Grip training would be great. Would help on those heavy deads.

Obviously don't do anything huge, but I don't think you had that in mind in the first place. You'll be fine.
    I was talking about the Dumbell exercises he was asking about

you grow on the outside, not inside
    I agree with McVein

Ive done some "air" squats, pushups, and various stretches while in the office. I think of it as active recovery.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Gripper strength does not translate much to static grip strength, like for deads, so grippers aren't going to help with that much. I guess you could get some heavy DB's and do farmers holds in the office if that's what you're after. You'd need some heavy DB's, though.

I vote for doing something like that ericg mentioned for "active recovery".
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle