The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Sanity check here on my maint cals / cutting cals

Okay, so let me first start by saying, I think all the maint calorie calculators and bmr calculators out there seem to be way off when it comes to Questor.

I'm a 29 yr old, 156 lb, 5'7" man with a slight frame. I've seen maint cal calculators suggest up to 3500 calories for me.

Dunno, but I have for the last four months kept a daily journal of my calorie consumption, macros, weight, and exercises in a nice little excel spreadsheet at home.

I started out coming off a stupid low calorie diet, and slowly increased my calories.

At 2500-2700 I seemed to fluctuate in weight. At 2800-2850 I became stable and more or less maintained. Right now I"m at about 3050 and gaining approximately 1.5 lb / week steadily.

I plan on keeping up 3000-3300 until March, when I plan on cutting just a bit. Like, for 6-8 weeks.

If I'm not way off on my feelings of what my maint cals are, then I'll probably throttle back my calories to 2500-2600 for the cut, and most of the removed calories will be from carbs.

I plan on low gi carbs, lean proteins, and approx. 25% of my cals coming from fats in a 33/66 sat/unsat balance.

Input? Feedback?
    Last edited by Questor; 01-04-2007 at 12:57 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Not to be rude or to scare you away, but this question is constantly asked in these forums. If you read the stickies, I am pretty sure they would answer your questions. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that :P I don't mean to be rude about it.

The truth is all of those calculators are a guideline, and can and will be wildly inaccurate. The only way to know maintenance calories are to track them. Even then, it is just a guestimate but that is pretty much the only way to know. So, pick a calorie target and track your weight over a period of two weeks, average them out and track your weight. If you didn't budge, you can be sure you are pretty close. Otherwise, adjust as needed.

Then for your cut, subtract 20% from that number. Try and keep protein the same, might lower fats a little bit and take the majority away from carbs IMO.
    Last edited by ArchAngel777; 01-04-2007 at 01:28 PM.

I'm guessing you either didn't read what I wrote, or you're in complete agreement with me.

Basically my own conclusions fly in the face of the so called calculators and I wanted to make sure that I'm not way off. Usually when I come to a conclusion that flies in the face of all the calculations in the world, I'm usually wrong.
    Last edited by Questor; 01-04-2007 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    I'm guessing you either didn't read what I wrote, or you're in complete agreement with me.
    I definately read it, but if you read what you wrote, you would probably be confused as well.

Go with whatever is working for you. If it works, don't fix it. Just remember that as your weight (particularly LBM) changes, your requirements will too.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post

Basically my own conclusions fly in the face of the so called calculators and I wanted to make sure that I'm not way off. Usually when I come to a conclusion that flies in the face of all the calculations in the world, I'm usually wrong.

Ahhh, that makes sense. Now I understand a bit more where you were coming from. Yes, I did agree with you then. Your calculations are more accurate than that calculator.

K - thanks for the patience with me on that. And thanks for the reminder David, I had forgotten to take that into consideration.

Actually, I should say thanks for your patience with me - I misunderstood you, and was my fault! Anyway, good luck with the cut!

I agree that those calcs are bogus. You have to take into consideration your metabolism. I can Bulk on 2500 cals a day and I am 260lbs.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Banned
    Those calculators are junk. Which one told you 3500 calories? I'm about your size and need that much to gain, but I've never seen a calculator spew out a number that high before lol

As long as you keep track of what you eat, your calculations will always be better than a generic calculator.