The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Big Gene benches 1010 !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnjXLQE2joA

Not a great vid but I am sure more will follow
    pain is inevitable suffering is optional

www.ryanopower.com

http://www.prowriststraps.com

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Insane

I thought you had to press both arms evenly for a legal press.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Good ol' powerlifting of today CP.

Seems like with the big boys they bend the rules a bit
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    Seems like with the big boys they bend the rules a bit
    It also depends the federation. Some are more lenient that others. Atleast he paused this time.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

i was reading an couple of month old article in muscle and fitness with scott mendelson and it said in the interview he benched 1015 but it wasnt official. anyone read that issue?
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

Banned
    So who has the world record now? Scott or Gene?

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    I thought you had to press both arms evenly for a legal press.
    Not that I'm aware of. Just so long as neither arm dips and then represses it really doesn't matter how either arm goes up and both arms get completely locked at the top. At least from what I've seen in either the USAPL or the APF.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmonster777 View Post
    So who has the world record now? Scott or Gene?
    Gene does

amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by ritz600 View Post
    amazing!
    6'5"
    200lbs
    Bench - 270x5
    Squat - 350x5
    Bulking

I think it was a great bench. However, I am not a fan of the powerlifting gear assisted benches. I am more into the raw feats you see in the World's Strongest Man competition where they usually don't have anything more than a support belt. Some of them do a lot of the things shirtless which is even more respectable. I also like the NFL Strongman competition where they rep out 225 lbs on the bench for as many times as they can. I think Joey Porter won last year with like 30+ reps.
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

no he didn't bench 1010lbs, he would be instantly crushed by that weight - a shirt and him benched 1010lbs - nothing against gene, but i dont understand why this is called powerlifting

Quote Originally Posted by SaVvY View Post
    no he didn't bench 1010lbs, he would be instantly crushed by that weight - a shirt and him benched 1010lbs - nothing against gene, but i dont understand why this is called powerlifting
    What should it be called?

There are raw feds and there are equipped ones. A raw 600 bench is impressive, so is an equipped 1000lb bench. It does not mean one is better than the other.
    Last edited by Sidior; 12-18-2006 at 10:55 AM.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

I have to agree with Sidior. Everyone has their own preferences. I don't feel one is better than the other, but seeing someone throw up 1000+ lbs is very impressive none the less, just as Mendelson's 713 raw was impressive.
    Stiles

Quote Originally Posted by SaVvY View Post
    Ok... Get a shirt on and push out 1000lbs. It still takes amazing strength.

Oh, also... You do realize that the shirt helps the most at the bottom of the lift. The shirt provides little support for the lockout...
    Last edited by deeder; 12-18-2006 at 04:05 PM.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

The "equipment vs. raw" thing has been done to death. If you want to continue discussing it, please feel free to do so in another thread. Thank you.

Back on topic, its an impressive lift. I like how "smooth" it looked. I use the term loosely as some people might not look at it that way but after having been to a powerlifting meet where they had some bench only competitors, I was thoroughly unimpressed. Guys that were getting all kinds of psyched up for a 500lbs bench were wobbly as hell with it. Some got it dumped on their face or stomach while others just looked like they should have been trying for a 300lb bench.

For those that think a shirt does it, I saw a guy in a triple ply denim, weighing close to 275 miss 500lbs 3 times. Each time looked worse than the last. In that same meet I saw a guy weighing about 165 use another guy's shirt that was a size bigger than him (the 165lbs dude forgot his shirt). He easily benched 450.

Raw, equipped, I don't give a ****, if it were that easy in a shirt they'd be more people doing because they could. Hell, if I thought I could do it, I would because that in itself would carry me through a big powerlifting meet. Its impressive. Period.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Ive always wandered, if the DL record is 1003, and the BP is 1010... how does that work.

I dont think there is a person on the planet who can bench as much or more then they deadlift. Sure both were set by different people, but shouldent the DL record be much bigger in comparison to the BP...

Or, does the shirt really give you that much?
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Ive always wandered, if the DL record is 1003, and the BP is 1010... how does that work.

I dont think there is a person on the planet who can bench as much or more then they deadlift. Sure both were set by different people, but shouldent the DL record be much bigger in comparison to the BP...
    The unequiped BP and DL records do differ markedly. 713 <-> 970. But there are people who genuinely can bench more than they can deadlift. There aren't many, but it happens. Often when someone is built to bench, they will suck at deadlifting. Just as there are people with chimp arms who DL triple bodyweight easily, but can't bench bw to save their life. But on the whole the deadlift should be significantly higher.

That too. Sure there are people that have to work for years to get 40 Lbs out of their shirt. But they are the minority. For anyone who is not a complete fool it is highly doable to get 20-25% out of a modern shirt within a few months. (I know I did. And in only 3 weeks too.)

NB:
    This is not to demean the performance by Gene Rychlak. 1010 is amazing, and a tremendous feat of strength -- even if he does get 3-400 Lbs out of his shirt. That still means he is capable of benching at least in the high 500s raw, AND he has the strength to lock out and control 1010 Lbs without his shirt.
    Last edited by phreak; 12-19-2006 at 06:40 AM.

I wish I had chimp arms.

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    Ok... Get a shirt on and push out 1000lbs. It still takes amazing strength.

Oh, also... You do realize that the shirt helps the most at the bottom of the lift. The shirt provides little support for the lockout...
    no, why would i put a shirt on?

like i said, nothing against gene, hes a very strong bencher, but lets be honest about it, the whole shirt thing is just rediculous - countless people have said this over and over, it completely destroys the sport

theres no real reason for it other than to put more weight on the bar, which in my opinion is just like so what? who cares what a shirt an you can do?? i was wanted to see what 'your' strength level is

the reason why i dont understand why its called powerlifting, is because its about making the most out of the shirt just as much as it is about strength (which aint power anyway!)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post

Dude, even with no equipment, there are a LOT of people who can bench more than they deadlift. Sad but true.

Yes, a shirt CAN give you that much. I get 100+ lbs out of it. Guys like Scott Mendelsohn and Gene Rychlak get 300+ lbs out of it.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Dude, even with no equipment, there are a LOT of people who can bench more than they deadlift. Sad but true.
    A side note: Not all people who bench more than they deadlift are curl jockeys who simply do not train it. Short, stubby lifters with long torsos generally have a hard time DLing more than they bench. There are always exceptions, of course.

Read this -------------->> pipes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield View Post
    The "equipment vs. raw" thing has been done to death. If you want to continue discussing it, please feel free to do so in another thread. Thank you.

Back on topic, its an impressive lift. I like how "smooth" it looked. I use the term loosely as some people might not look at it that way but after having been to a powerlifting meet where they had some bench only competitors, I was thoroughly unimpressed. Guys that were getting all kinds of psyched up for a 500lbs bench were wobbly as hell with it. Some got it dumped on their face or stomach while others just looked like they should have been trying for a 300lb bench.

For those that think a shirt does it, I saw a guy in a triple ply denim, weighing close to 275 miss 500lbs 3 times. Each time looked worse than the last. In that same meet I saw a guy weighing about 165 use another guy's shirt that was a size bigger than him (the 165lbs dude forgot his shirt). He easily benched 450.

Raw, equipped, I don't give a ****, if it were that easy in a shirt they'd be more people doing because they could. Hell, if I thought I could do it, I would because that in itself would carry me through a big powerlifting meet. Its impressive. Period.

I like how you tell everyone else to talk about the 'raw vs. bench' thing in another thread and then you pretty much ramble on about it in your entire post.
    5'11" 220lbs.

BENCH - 330 x 1
    SQUAT - 405 x 1
    DEADLIFT - 450 x 1

"Whenever you do a thing, act as if all the world were watching." -- T.J.
    "Every success is built on the ability to do better than good enough." -- Unknown