Thread: Gaining Wieght-(Fat or Muscle)

Wannabebig Member

Gaining Weight-(Fat or Muscle)

Ok, here it goes. For the past three weeks I have been lifting consistantly for about 4, mabe 5 days a week. This last week I have picked up the pace a little a have been doing my weight-training really intensively. I am currently about 5'9.5 and was just about 203 about a week ago. Now, I took a little break from weighing myself and let the week go by. A few minutes ago, just for the hell of it, I weighed and myself and find the scale reading 207.8! Mind you, I walk to the gym and run on the weekends. I don't over eat, but eat enough that allows my body to recouperate, and good foods at that (milk, lots of chicken, peanutbutter, wholewheat bread, ect). I have actually just started a new 2 part training phase of lifting heavey 5 reps, 3 sets one weak and the second weak running and swimming. I am just curious but do you think this could be muscle or fat I am gaining? My curls and squats have increased signifigantly but my bench remains the same. Is it just the extra mass (fat) that might be helping me lift or perhaps newfound muscle? Below is the first part of my training routine;

Monday-Upright rows, reverse curls, crunches, deadlifts, tricep pull downs, shoulder shrugs
    Tuesday- Benchpress, Squat, curls (bar), crunches, leg extention, hamstring extension, Arm flys forwards and laterally
    *This process repeats till Saturday- I give my self weekends off for resting time

-Any info would be great. I am currently in the delayed entry program for the Marine Corps and should be down to 195 by the time I leave for bookcamp on July 29.
    Last edited by LiftingAnimal; 01-04-2007 at 02:16 PM.

I hope you dont mean that you are hitting each body part every other day.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Your body weight can fluctuate by 5-10lbs daily based on a variety of things, mostly due to water weight fluctuations. I wouldn't worry the weight gain, if your lifting well some of it should be muscle, and you shouldn't put on a significant amount of fat in only one week.

Do you weigh yourself everyday? Try weighing yourself in the morning since that is normally the most consistent time of the day to check. Also, keep track you the calories you consume so you have a good idea at how many calories your trying to consume so you gain at a constant rate.

Wannabebig Member
    No it's like that. I don't work the same body part each day (at least I don't try to). I consistantly make sure I only work one muscle group every other day just so I don't overtrain my muscles. The routing above isn't exact, it can sometimes vary.
    Last edited by LiftingAnimal; 01-04-2007 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XxH0LyWaRsxX View Post
    I hope you dont mean that you are hitting each body part every other day.
    Wow, I didn't even catch that... if you are doing all that every other day its time to look into a new routine, try WBB 1

Dude, no offense, but your routine really sucks. I would suggest trying WBB1 or BGB but in all honesty you're going to lose all the gains you make when you enter bootcamp.

Wannabebig Member
    Thx, I will look into the new routine and start counting calories. And about the bootcamp thing, I'm still going to lift even though I may loose some of my gains.

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    A few hours with the search engine on this site would do you a world of good. Read all the stickies first.
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

Quote Originally Posted by LiftingAnimal View Post
    No it's like that. I don't work the same body part each day (at least I don't try to). I consistantly make sure I only work one muscle group every other day just so I don't overtrain my muscles. The routing above isn't exact, it can sometimes vary.
    Every other day for the same muscles is still overtraining. You shouldn't work any body parts more than twice per week. Check out some good routines like WBB1 or Baby Got Back on this website and you'll make much more progress. Also read the Diet and Nutrition forum on this site, especially the stickies.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle