Thread: To Bulk or To Cut?

PaddleSkiBikeClimbHikeLift Hunt's Avatar

To Bulk or To Cut?

I am 28, 6'1, 190# and my goal is both strength and muscle size; however, I do not want to be packing to much fat on my bones either. I would like to keep my cardiovascular endurance high for my paddling and climbing. I have gotten some great ideas on my workout and diet from here and other places, but I am stuck on a few points.

It seems clear from physiology that bulking and cutting cannot be done at the same time. If I want to bulk for a while and then cut for a while, what is a good minimum length to do each phase before returning to the other?? Is it going to be cool to bulk for 6-8 weeks, then cut for 6-8 weeks, and the return to bulking??

Thanks for any help.

You can put on mass while cutting. People say u can't are wrong. HERES THE KEY, it all depends on how fast you want to bulk. If you eat moderate amounts of food and work out, you will put on some* mass while cutting away at the fat. However if you were to eat like a champ and work out, obviously you would put on plenty more muscle.

I agree with everything Gino said except the last sentence. I think you can build some serious muscle while getting rid of the fat. Two seperate things all together. You'll have to do a lot of low impact cardio though, IMO.

Bulk and Cut

Gino and Marshall:

Thanks for the advice and input bros. I had gotten some good info about my training recently - I am thinking of doing a three day out of six split - a push-pull-legs routine. I was thinking of doing cardio three days a week for 20-30 minutes (running).

When you say eat moderately for doing cutting and bulking - what exactly do you mean. My bodyweight is around 190-195 and I am 6'1" tall. I believe that my BF is in the neighborhood of 13-15%. I've tried to figure out how many calories I should be getting - but it has not been easy (I get a BMR of ~2200) and a bulk routine of somewhere between 3000-3700 calories (this sounds little high for me right now).

More advice would be awesome.

Hunt, I don't know. You have to experiment. I would try to eat anywhere from 0-500 calories above maintenance and try to throw in your cardio in the AM on an empty stomach to try to burn the fat off. Hard to tell by the scale though if you've got a lot of fat to lose. If you lose more than 1lb a week on average then you've got to add a little more food. Once the fat comes off, keep the cardio for the health benefits but add a little more food and don't do it in the AM on an empty stomach anymore.

Good Advice

Marshall:

Thanks again for the advice - it is pretty tough getting all the elements of this straight to get the best result. I have one other question for you (or anyone else who reads this) - what is a good pre-workout meal?? I've read that it is a good idea to have the pre-workout meal to be low in carbs to force your body to drain your glycogen and maybe even begin to tap into your fat ... is this true? What do you do PRE-workout? Thanks.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I wouldn't suggest doing the low-carb preworkout meal if you want to lift hard and heavy. have a pre-workout with protein/fat/moderate GI carbs.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!