The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Strained ab

Strained ab

Just got done with workout, ive been training abs lightly everyday for about a week and have seen some improvement.

Started to do jumprope and about an inch to the left of my navel I got a horrendous pain everytime I reach 30 or so in jumprope; my question is is this just a strain and how should I treat it.

I had it checked by my family whose got a medical backround and told me they didnt feel a hernia

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

canadian, eh?
    You shouldn't be training your abs everyday. It's a muscle like your biceps or chest, you don't train them every day, do you? You only need to hit them 2-3 times a week.
    Not sure about the strain though, possible from overtraining?
    Steve

I disagree, 2-3 times a week if you hit them HARD.

Im not burning my abs to pure exhaustion, concider it like people who jog a mile everyday or so; I do a few crunches and oblique twists takes maybe 3 minutes. Im not doing any weighted work so I don't feel its overtraining, it just feels like I've got it tweaked.

I have to agree... I do one day a week of abs, maybe 2... Frankly, if you lift heavy on your compounds you should already be giving your abs a good workout. Im thinking Canadianbuilder may have been right about the overtraining your abs... From the numbers you say you are lifting, you are probably getting in a great core workout as it is. Perhaps you should just back off hte cardio for a couple days, and for the next little while only do 2-3 days of core work...

Take it or leave it, but this definately sounds like overtraining!
    Stats:
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

you know what your abbs actually recover alot quicker then larger main body parts like biceps,quads or whatever everyday might be a little much but in my opnion if you are doing light stuff then how would you have strained it...maybe you strained it on somthing eles you are doing???

Banned
    I know that Wikipedia isn't a great source, but check this out stepto: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise#Abdominal_muscles

Abs are the same as every other muscle.

I think I pulled it locking out on a deadlift, im not concerned with how I did it but how to fix the problem. Sure the core gets worked but only as a stabalizer, I think to get actual ab growth you have to do some specific core work. I'll cut it back to 3x a week Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday.

Sounds good, if you are worried about recovery I wouldn't do any ab specific stuff for at least a week. Just leave it to the compounds for a while because in the end, they are all that really matter anyway LOL
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

I'd recommend doing crunches, do them for 4 minutes one day rest the next day, e.g mon-train, tue-rest, wed-train, thur-rest, fri-train. Worked really well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by keane16 View Post
    I'd recommend doing crunches, do them for 4 minutes one day rest the next day, e.g mon-train, tue-rest, wed-train, thur-rest, fri-train. Worked really well for me.
    Remember hes wanting to REHAB a strain, not strain it further. Whatever you wanna do after its rehabbed is your choice, but I think this is your body telling you to back off a bit.
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    I know that Wikipedia isn't a great source, but check this out stepto: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise#Abdominal_muscles

Abs are the same as every other muscle.
    they recover faster because you dont do huge loads... your forarms recover faster then say your quads because the weight load you do it drastically different

but i agree they are just like every other muscle just smaller

I dont agree with your comment, forearms can carry upwards of 500+ pounds if your exceptionally strong and deadlifting. There are more muscles involved in your legs then in your forearms, there are so many factors involved that you cant make a simplistic comment like "forearms are smaller so they recover faster". There are so many other factors to take into account here. Abdominal muscles may not be as large as your Quads or hammies but they are involved in a lot more excersizes, not to mention the fact that they keep you upright while you walk, sit, they also allow you to lift because they are a large part of EVERY free-weight excersize.
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

I disagree with anyone telling him to try an exercise when he is complaining about a strained Ab muscle. If you haven't suffered from it you don't know how bad it is. I strained an Ab during a track workout when I was in high school and it too hurt alot. I couldn't even walk for extended periods of time without feeling a "cramp-like" sensation. You gotta take it easy man. I'm no docotr but staying away from the gym for a week or two is probably the best medicine for this. It should go away fairly quickly if that is any consolation.