The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Increasing my chest size

My chest has been the smallest part of my body ever since I started lifting. I have a good diet with good meals each day so that is not the problem.

here is my routine for chest which I do 1 or 2 times per week:

- Flat bench - 5 sets
    - Inclined bench - 3 sets
    - Dips - 5 sets
    - Declined bench - 3 sets
    - Butterflies - Inclined, Flat, Decline (2 sets each)

I just recently started doing 5 sets on the flat bench and on dips, compared to only doing 3 sets. I do legs on this day and switch between a chest and leg exercise.

The thing is, I increase weight about once every 2 weeks... but I still see no actual mass gain. I usually go with high weight, low reps.

Can anyone give me any advice?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

are you making gains elsewhere?? are you eating enough??? you seem to have a lot of exercises for one muscle group, perhaps you are overtraining?
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

i make size gain every else, yes. i eat a big meal about every 3 or 4 hours.

how do i know if i'm overtraining? it feels like i'm not training enough if i don't get all of those exercises in. should i only do the inclined bench one day, and the declined bench on the next chest day?

Decline bench is a moe tricep orientated exercise i think, how often do you train your chest?
    I agree with McVein

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    Are you sure it's lagging? What are your Chest/Quad/Arm measurements?
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

i'll measure tonight. and i'll have pictures up either tomorrow, or in a few days.

McVein, i know that decline bench is more tricep oriented and that incline bench is more shoulder oriented.... but they both touch on the chest. i train my chest twice a week.

Quote Originally Posted by p0ng View Post
    My chest has been the smallest part of my body ever since I started lifting. I have a good diet with good meals each day so that is not the problem.

here is my routine for chest which I do 1 or 2 times per week:

- Flat bench - 5 sets
    - Inclined bench - 3 sets
    - Dips - 5 sets
    - Declined bench - 3 sets
    - Butterflies - Inclined, Flat, Decline (2 sets each)

I just recently started doing 5 sets on the flat bench and on dips, compared to only doing 3 sets. I do legs on this day and switch between a chest and leg exercise.

The thing is, I increase weight about once every 2 weeks... but I still see no actual mass gain. I usually go with high weight, low reps.

Can anyone give me any advice?
    You're doing way too much volume IMO. That's 21 sets for chest. I do about 6-8.
    Last edited by HahnB; 01-05-2007 at 04:33 PM.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

well, how long have you been lifting? how tall are you and what do you weigh?
    I agree with McVein

lifting for about 2 and a half years... lifting hard for about the past year.
    i weigh 150 lbs, i am 5' 9" and am 20 yrs old.
    Last edited by p0ng; 01-05-2007 at 04:40 PM.

Is your form good?
    [Journal | My Diet]
    [Bench 170x5 | Squat 255x5 | Deadlift 300x5]
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried."

ya, my form is fairly good, to my knowledge. i compare my form to the bodybuilders that come to my gym.

150 is still fairly light, i wouldnt be worrying about your chest just yet, it'll come with tym
    I agree with McVein

Banned
    You want a big chest measurement? Then work your back...rows and latt pulls. Other than that just BB bench and DB incline 1-2x a week.

Banned
    i make size gain every else, yes. i eat a big meal about every 3 or 4 hours.
    Have you gained any weight?

And FYI "a big meal" is not very helpful. Approximate calorie count with grams of protein carbs and fat is what we need for nutritional information.

I agree that's too many sets. Stick with 6-9 sets and if you are going for size exclusively stay in the 5-10 rep range per set. Also, drop the fly's. Those are pretty useless.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

My chest has been lagging too... I should have mentioned this in my last post. One thing that I've changed since I've noticed that is to be sure to flare my elbows out a bit more at the bottom of each rep. It's really helped to make my chest work a bit harder.
    6'1, 217 lbs

Too much volume. Go for less total volume. Hit it twice a week. Allow plenty of rest between hits. Eat. Be pantient.

Overworking it is a slower way of getting where you want to go.

thanks for the advice guys. i am going to lower my reps on all of my lifting days

Lower your sets you mean?

I do 8 sets a week bench and I steadily make gains. 5 sets flat, 3 sets incline. As long as I'm gaining I'm happy.

And you obviously don't eat big if you're only 150 pounds.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

ya, i meant sets. dude, i eat a lot. my mom can't keep up with the grocery shopping. i clean out the cupboards and fridge in a couple days

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Steady View Post
    My chest has been lagging too... I should have mentioned this in my last post. One thing that I've changed since I've noticed that is to be sure to flare my elbows out a bit more at the bottom of each rep. It's really helped to make my chest work a bit harder.
    That's a good plan if you're goals include torn rotator cuffs and shoulder surgery. Keep the elbows in, play with your grip and where the bar touches your chest.

To those who said that decline press targets the triceps I don't know where you got that one... It allows the lats to be more involved and I think it's the chest pretty damn hard...
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    That's a good plan if you're goals include torn rotator cuffs and shoulder surgery. Keep the elbows in, play with your grip and where the bar touches your chest.

To those who said that decline press targets the triceps I don't know where you got that one... It allows the lats to be more involved and I think it's the chest pretty damn hard...
    Hmmmm, are there other comments on this? Thanks Deeder... but aren't your elbows automatically flared with the grip you use?
    6'1, 217 lbs

Banned
    dude, i eat a lot. my mom can't keep up with the grocery shopping. i clean out the cupboards and fridge in a couple days
    That doesn't mean you're eating enough.

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post

you flare your elbows in your video deeder????
    I agree with McVein

Banned
    hmm, ive got a pretty big chest, and your about my size 9or was im about 170lbs now)

if you want to get a big chest, pretty much all you need to do is the flat bench.
    for your form you need to find out if your a chest pusher of shoulder pusher when you bench, ill take a guess and say you push more with your shoulders and they are devoloping ok.
    I am definatly a chest pusher when i bench. you can check in my journal in the jornal section to see my chest routine. also check a vid of me doing 305x10. I am an advacate of not some perfect form for training. this form seems to target more of the chest, when i do it strict it doesnt hit the chest as much, also pains my shoulders more, while the not so strict reps dont hurt and have avoided injuries this way.
    i do 5 sets of about ten reps with as much weight as i can load on, then will do about 2-4 sets of heavy weight strict sets. with this workout my chest has grown hudge.