The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Personal trainers at your gym...

Dear God the ones at mine are just plain awful. I cannot believe people pay hefty sums of cash to get "trained" by them. When I first started there I asked this one PT for a bodyweight test on his handheld machine, and he asked me about my routine (WBB1) and told me that's a very poor routine and also told me my diet was bad (200+ protein a day, 2500 cals). Now it's 3 months later and I've dropped 5% body fat and have made huge gains on the weights and I just walk past him with a big smirk on my face every time I see him. I watch him train these fairly big (overweight) guys and he has them do very quick circles of leg extension/curl then quickly to smith machine for squats and incline bench, and around and around with VERY light weights. I mean the guy he's training is barely breaking a sweat. And this is about all I see this guy have people do. That and some plyo's on a box. Let's hear some of your personal trainer nightmare stories.

Oh and the best part is, I am currently being trained by the best group of trainers a guy could ask for, WBB! And it costs me nothing! (Well ALN gets quite a big chunk of my change every order, haha).

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yup. Often they will tell you that you are doing something wrong etc etc. It's just a way of getting you to sign up for their services. I'm not being arrogant, and I'm still willing to listen to advice but it's funny how I'm making progress but neither they nor their clients are...

I had asked a PT at my gym to help me with some flexibility stuff a while back. I really just wanted to talk to her because she was kinda hot. Anyway, she seemd very impressed in my ability to squat close to 500 (like that's a big deal?) and then tried to have me do one-legged squats on the smith machine to which I responded "Do you really think I have a problem with balance?" I then took her to the squat rack and did one legged squats with the free bar, then taught her the proper way to squat.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Cross trainer & DL addict mikesbytes's Avatar
    The main reason for using a PT is motovation. Perhaps those big guys would be doing nothing if they didin't have a PT. Typically a PT's customer lasts 3 months, so after this, either the customer does their own thing, or moves back to doing nothing.

The trainer at my gym is really fat, she has huge legs becuase all i see her ever doing is squats and deadlifts with her people. She yelled at me one time for using "her" bar, i think she might be on steroids.

yeah even the trainers at this new golds i go to have no idea what they are doing, id have people quitting id work them so hard
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by must_eat View Post
    The trainer at my gym is really fat, she has huge legs becuase all i see her ever doing is squats and deadlifts with her people. She yelled at me one time for using "her" bar, i think she might be on steroids.
    That's awesome.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Wannabebig Member
    Most of the PT at my gym dont push or have a clue..
    I have one because he helps push me (and actually has a clue on what to do).I had buddies that would work out with me(helps keep you going).But they just stop coming after a month or so.

My trainer logs what i do and what my meal plan is.We both laugh now.Because we see a LOT of trainers and their clients that DONT change even after months of working out..

Mine has gotten me here(some examples in the last 5 months):
    0 push ups to 60+
    0 pull ups to 20
    185 max bench to 240
    135 on leg press to 700
    135 on free squats to 405
    starting weight 290 as of july1st
    current weight 246

Quote Originally Posted by white99gt View Post
    Most of the PT at my gym dont push or have a clue..
    I have one because he helps push me (and actually has a clue on what to do).I had buddies that would work out with me(helps keep you going).But they just stop coming after a month or so.

My trainer logs what i do and what my meal plan is.We both laugh now.Because we see a LOT of trainers and their clients that DONT change even after months of working out..

Mine has gotten me here(some examples in the last 5 months):
    0 push ups to 60+
    0 pull ups to 20
    185 max bench to 240
    135 on leg press to 700
    135 on free squats to 405

Awesome progress!
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington View Post
    Awesome progress!

Thanks...Its been very hard work.Many days of waking up sore LOL..
    Sadly im in better shape now than in my high school football days.
    current weight 246

I learned how to train and eat through reading articles online and watching bodybuilding videos. Didn't cost me a ****ing thing.

Banned
    I agree that a lot of trainers are dumbasses, but I think a lot of you are forgetting that most of their clients are out of shape and middle aged. Although it's not an excuse to use ****ty routines, it is a damn good reason to go easy. You don't take a fat 45 year old guy and have him do his 5 RM. Not only would his form be off by a mile (which only gets worse as you get closer to your max), but he probably has some chronic injuries as well (hint: back). However 3 months after seeing the PT (hell after a couple of weeks) he should be lifting fairly heavy.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by white99gt
    Sadly im in better shape now than in my high school football days.
    Why is that sad? That's awesome! Keep up the good work.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

There is one really good personal trainer at my gym, he actually played proffesional basketball and has trained several NHL hockey players. I worked with him about 2 years ago when I was a newb and he gave me an amazing routine and perfected my form. Its hard for newbs to learn proper squating, dead lifting form. The full body routine he put me in gave me amazing gains all around. Over 2 years now I've gone from 175 lbs @ 16.7 % body fat to now 218 lbs @ 14.4 %. If it werent for such a good start, I wouldnt be where I am now. So not alllll personaly trainers are bad, just 99% of them lol.

Wannabebig Member
    Hey cwm what was the routine he put you on?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    Why is that sad? That's awesome! Keep up the good work.

Just wished i would have stayed with it out of school..I cant imagine the shape i would be in now.

But for a 37 year old im not complaining.. With my trainers help, ive gone from 28% body fat to 20% range(looking for the 15%~16% range)..

To add.Without the help of my trainer i would have never got good form in a lot of the freeweights.

He never pushed me to add weight until i got the form down.If the form wasnt good we removed weight until i could do it correct.But after watching for months in the gym.I agree there are few that actually know what they are doing.
    Last edited by white99gt; 01-06-2007 at 05:17 PM.
    current weight 246

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by white99gt
    He never pushed me to add weight until i got the form down.If the form wasnt good we removed weight until i could do it correct.
    That's awesome. Seems like a trainer that knows what he's doing.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 01-06-2007 at 06:06 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

I see trainers at Golds doing the same stuff with all their clients, iso ball work, lunges and smith machine. Lunges and iso ball are great stuff but they never seem to switch it up or push their clients. I can't see the reason to not tailor a workout to different clients needs.

They do have one trainer by the name of John Palmer who is excellent. He works with free wts and busts his clients asses. I have seen amazing changes in his clients.
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

Banned
    I volunteered for the local college PT program last year. That guy (Ryan) was great. He showed me proper form and I learned a few good things from him.

The PTs at the gym are all about meeting their client expectations. Most client expectations DO NOT involve free weights, just the fancy contraptions please. The bigger, seemingly the better (Smith machine). Crazy stuff.

There are a couple of personal trainers in my gym that are bodybuilders. They are nice guys, but I definitely disagree with their training methods. Except for this one guy that trains heavy in the gym if he comes in to work out.

I overheard a trainer the other day telling a guy that circuit training is the big thing right now. He even said "Everybody's doing it!"

My buddy and I got a kick out of it!
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be a good friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.