Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Senior Year...

I only had 3 periods senior year and I had 217 class cuts by the end of the year. LOL
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Quote Originally Posted by JDiesel View Post
    sometimes i wish i was still in highschool
    Truer words have never been spoken
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

to late to leave my classes im booked, and i like my classes except english and math lol they are all interesting especially Law and Music Theory, both MANIAC teachers and my Music teacher swears like a MO FO. its hilarious.

but i still hate school. lol.
    2000 or bust

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    I have heard the only way to be a full time PT is to work in the morning ie: 7:00 am on, and then be back in the evenings to get the 5:00 on crowd.

It's really hard to book 40hrs/week.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Eh. All of high school was easy. College isn't too much tougher.

I discovered recreational drugs my senior year, awesome.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by XxH0LyWaRsxX View Post
    Truer words have never been spoken
    :withstupi
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Quote Originally Posted by Altephor View Post
    Eh. All of high school was easy. College isn't too much tougher.
    What do you mean by "college"? It sounds like you think that everyone takes the same classes. If you're going to be a 3rd grade teacher it might not be, but there's plenty of majors that are pretty challenging.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    What do you mean by "college"? It sounds like you think that everyone takes the same classes. If you're going to be a 3rd grade teacher it might not be, but there's plenty of majors that are pretty challenging.
    Yeah, biochemistry, physics, engineering and many other degrees are supposed to be quite challenging.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Senior year in high school was pretty rough. I had football every weekday from right after classes (a full 9:00-3:00 day) until about 7, then about an hour or an hour-and-a-half commute back home to shower, eat, and do about 4 hours of homework. I went to a "specialized" high school, meaning the teachers were at liberty to challenge us with lots of work--and they did.

After football was over, though, I got to experience high school life from the regular guy's standpoint and it (school) was so ****ing easy! I had no idea why these little crybabies bitched and whined about work when they had so much free time on their hands.

I didn't go out too much because most of my non-football friends got into drugs and I didn't want to be around that, and the football guys weren't into going out to party and stuff. Senior year was pretty fun though, as I look back on it, and wouldn't change a thing.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    dude If your schools gay about leaving and half days and you have to be around all day you might as well make the most of that.
    I resent the your use of the 5th word in the first sentence in a derogatory manner.
    Last edited by TwiloMike; 01-09-2007 at 01:46 PM.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
    I resent the your use of the 5th word in the first sentence in a derogatory manner.
    He must've meant "homosexual."

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by galileo View Post
    He must've meant "homosexual."
    He must've skipped the chapter on respect.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    I finished school in germany. I skipped a lot of it. It was a great year I think. Set up a game club so infested all the computer lab comps with games and played all the time. I skipped most fri and mondays to go snowboarding in some country in the alps every week. I dont remember much else but it was all fun

EDIT: oh yea, got laid for the first time too.
    Last edited by crazedwombat; 01-09-2007 at 03:20 PM.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
    He must've skipped the chapter on respect.
    Or you read the one on political correctness......
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

My senior year of high school was probably the most challenging year I took. I had 7 classes, mostly college preparatory (Calculus, Physics, labs etc) and also played sports. I think I missed one day that year. I attend the University of Cincinnati now majoring in secondary education and my goal is to be a mathematics professor by the time I'm 35-40. I guess I was one of the rare ones who actually enjoy school and education and responsibility. I'd rather not pump gas for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by WildJames View Post
    I'd rather not pump gas for a living.
    I guess that's why you're going to be a mathematics professor. They make tons......

I enjoy responsibility, but I don't enjoy some douchebag teaching me how to do things I could teach myself. I don't enjoy 20 pages of homework jsut for the hell of it. Teach high school like you're in college and I think things would be much different. High school was a joke.
    Last edited by sharkall2003; 01-09-2007 at 03:40 PM.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003 View Post
    I guess that's why you're going to be a mathematics professor. They make tons......

I enjoy responsibility, but I don't enjoy some douchebag teaching me how to do things I could teach myself. I don't enjoy 20 pages of homework jsut for the hell of it. Teach high school like you're in college and I think things would be much different. High school was a joke.
    I'm assuming you're just being sarcastic. Full tenure college professors, as is what I am working on becoming, earn from $50,000 a year to over 100k, depending on many factors, including location and field. This is quite enough money for me to live on. Combine that with a sense of pride in making a difference in others lives and I would think it's a fairly rewarding career.

And yes, I will teach high school like it's a college course, because too many kids are leaving high school with no idea what the real world, and college, are really like.

I actually enjoyed most of high school and learned a lot from (for the most part) good teachers and coaches. I sure wouldn't want to go back, but I (and probably many people) wish I had studied a little harder.

My unsolicited grumpy old-man/teacher advice would be to try to learn something in those classes you hate. (This is NOT a dig at you) You might have a social life someday that doesn't revolve around lifting or partying and that might require some education... I remember going on a date in college with, I'm not exaggerating, one of the most gorgeous girls I've ever seen before or since and being totally tongue-tied because my life at the time consisted of training 6 hours/day, coasting through classes, and partying...
    I'm sorry you feel that way
    How many years of study did it take you to learn to be a bigot?
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003 View Post
    Or you read the one on political correctness......
    I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with being politically correct when a gay man takes exception to someone using the word gay as a perjorative.

If I went around saying, "Man school is such a douchebag" you'd have every right to take offense.
    Last edited by galileo; 01-09-2007 at 04:45 PM.

And it's why we don't allow it in any context.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

It was so long ago I don't remember much about my senior year aside from a hot Brazilian exchange student.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by WildJames View Post
    I'm assuming you're just being sarcastic. Full tenure college professors, as is what I am working on becoming, earn from $50,000 a year to over 100k, depending on many factors, including location and field. This is quite enough money for me to live on. Combine that with a sense of pride in making a difference in others lives and I would think it's a fairly rewarding career.

And yes, I will teach high school like it's a college course, because too many kids are leaving high school with no idea what the real world, and college, are really like.
    I think you need to consider a few things first. Let's say that your bachelor's degree in math takes four years, your master's takes 1-3 more years and your PhD takes 4-5 years. After that, you 1-3 years doing your postdoctoral fellowship, and then maybe if you're lucky, some college or University will hire you as an assistant professor. You should now be making around $45,000 a year. Sometimes less, sometimes slightly more.

Now you'll have to work your ass off on your research, write a couple of books, and publish numerous papers, while gaining a good reputation as a lecturer (ie. student evaluations) and after 7-10 years or more, you'll be promoted to associate professor. You should now be making $60,000 a year.

After that, you may or may not get promoted to a full time professor. On average, most people do not. It's usually not until you're 45-50 that you'll be considered, unless your research is outstanding. The point is, there's very little money involved for the amount of money for the work required. People do it because it's a lifestyle thing. They enjoy the research, travel and conferences.

Are you mathematically brilliant? I'm not asking if you enjoy mathematics or if you're pretty good at it. I mean, are you outstanding when it comes to math and do you pick things up rapidly, and figure out better ways of doing things by yourself? Does the prospect of researching new mathematics excite you? The people who become professors are researchers foremost, and teachers second. Many of them would rather not be teaching. If you're only interested in becoming a lecturer, then you can actually expect to make even less than what I listed above.
    Last edited by Tofer; 01-09-2007 at 04:47 PM.

Squat slowly improving :)
    Everything Tofer said pretty much explains it James. Unless you're taking the equivelant of at least Calculus 2 your senior year there's going to be very little chance of picking it up any faster as you go through college..to become a mathematics prof. you'll need to be able to do incredibly difficult math including all forms of pure mathematics, logic, and other things of that sort. You'd be better off going to school for 5 years, getting your teaching degree, then try to get a job teaching H.S. math. if thats the route you want to go.
    Been out the game for a little while, but jumpin back in

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    well i could get my CCNA if the training doesnt work out, but i really dont remember much. id have to refresh myself, i have no intrest in that anymore.
    I took some of my CCNA prep classes and I regret not taking my certification exam. Just bite the bullet and take it, it's great to have something like that to fall back on, or just to have on your resume.

My senior year was a pretty decent time. I laugh at how easy it really was (other than math...yeah...not so good at math). I'd skip class to work on my car, arrive late because I'd been out with my ex-girlfriend, stay out till 2am or sometimes well past then. Once, a teacher accused me of plagiarism (I didn't do it ), and she said "well, it's extremely well written so I'm still going to give you 75% on this, but I expect you'll want to rewrite it to get higher." Hahaha yeah, right.

The last semester I had work experience every second afternoon for a few hours so I would spend some time in the hospital or in the courtroom, and that was really interesting. I ended up applying to pre-med, although I don't know if I want to do medicine.

Senior year helped me a lot.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"