The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003 View Post
    Yeah, biochemistry, physics, engineering and many other degrees are supposed to be quite challenging.
    Chemistry. Is what I was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofer View Post
    I think you need to consider a few things first. Let's say that your bachelor's degree in math takes four years, your master's takes 1-3 more years and your PhD takes 4-5 years. After that, you 1-3 years doing your postdoctoral fellowship, and then maybe if you're lucky, some college or University will hire you as an assistant professor. You should now be making around $45,000 a year. Sometimes less, sometimes slightly more.

Now you'll have to work your ass off on your research, write a couple of books, and publish numerous papers, while gaining a good reputation as a lecturer (ie. student evaluations) and after 7-10 years or more, you'll be promoted to associate professor. You should now be making $60,000 a year.

After that, you may or may not get promoted to a full time professor. On average, most people do not. It's usually not until you're 45-50 that you'll be considered, unless your research is outstanding. The point is, there's very little money involved for the amount of money for the work required. People do it because it's a lifestyle thing. They enjoy the research, travel and conferences.

Are you mathematically brilliant? I'm not asking if you enjoy mathematics or if you're pretty good at it. I mean, are you outstanding when it comes to math and do you pick things up rapidly, and figure out better ways of doing things by yourself? Does the prospect of researching new mathematics excite you? The people who become professors are researchers foremost, and teachers second. Many of them would rather not be teaching. If you're only interested in becoming a lecturer, then you can actually expect to make even less than what I listed above.
    Trust me I know what is involved. I didn't think I had to explain all that on here, didn't think it was necessary. I'll be honest I would not consider myself brilliant at mathematics as much as you explain..I would considering myself gifted in it, maybe not brilliant though. Yes I pick math up rapidly, at times I figure out better ways to do things, not always. New mathematics and researching surely excites me. I love to learn, honestly I wish I could be in school the rest of my life. That's one of the reasons I want to be an educator. If it turns out I don't have what it takes to be on full tenure track, perhaps I'll try to at least adjunct at a college while teaching high school, who knows. The issue of money was never introduced by me, it was sarcastically stated to me by another poster. I want to be HAPPY in life, and make a difference in other people's, while continuing to explore a subject I have a passion about.
    Last edited by WildJames; 01-09-2007 at 07:12 PM.

Enjoy highschool while you have it. Your never going to see all your highschool friends every day after you graduate. I thought that I hated my highschool until after I graduated, then I realized how much I really liked it.

Edit: I graduated highschool with a cumulative 2.3 GPA and I still got into a decent college.
    Last edited by stevec087; 01-09-2007 at 08:05 PM.
    Height: 6' Weight: 160 lbs
    Goals: Maintain Strength
    My Journal

I took collegue classes all senior year, and worked full time.

Junior year, I skipped about 50+ days, and still graduated with a 3.2 with honors.

High school was a joke.
    Face it: biceps are the muscle that classifies you as a muscle man.

Striding across the fields, carrying a vorpal blade, cometh Clawhammer! And he gives a bloodthirsty bellow:

"As sure as predators devour prey, I shall paint the town a sanguine shade of doom!!!"
    Hilarity

I dunno man... I enter 10th grade next year, wich is start of the seniors thing so to speak.

Really, I dont want school to end. Just think of allt he crap you have to do after.

Im content with getting As and Bs and then screwing around the whole time. Just some basic orgnaization skills, stay on top of all my work, and the rest is all fun and games.

Why would you want that to end?
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    The only thing I learned in high school was how to work the system so i could do as little work as possible and get by. I have to say it taught me alot and I was able to learn how to work my universities system so I could do as little work as possible. Now in my job I work the system for the little extra benefits but I do a lot of work so that I'm allowed those things. Thanks high school for that. and to all those that think the work ethic in school determines the work ethic in later life...you're wrong
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

WildJames, I was exploiting the point made in you initial post. You, by the way I interpreted what you typed, seem to think that if you don't do WELL in school then you are pumping gas. I find that far-fetched and radical. School hardly taught me responsibility. Also, there are many people who have terrible work ethic in school that work diligently in the working environment. I never understood why I would waist my time doing worksheets that didn't show what I learned when I could just take a test and read the book. I never did a homework assignment all year for physics and I would have passed the class with an A had I. Instead I was given a B because I knew the material, but didn't want to work for it. How does that go? I knew what I had to know and I didn't need to apply it anywhere but on a test. I proved myself on those. I was going to school to eventually get my MBA but decided against it. I was tired of lame ass assignments that did really nothing for me. All my business instructors would just give us a crapload of worksheets so we would "better understand given material during lecture." What a crock.

I hope you do become a Mathematics Professor. It's what you would like to do. But every job, for the most part, will have some kind of benefit to society. You need factory workers to make those bags that you use all the time, you need them for the cars you drive, you need grocery store attendants for service at your work. I think you're undermining those other people because they didn't do really well while they were in high school.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Don't ever grow up...stay in HS forrreeevvvveerrr

HS was great..although class did suck. I remember hating having to go every day Senior year, but I went anyways...I think I only missed like once for senior skip day.

College is better than HS...a little more responsibility but way more freedom as well. I'd actually prefer to stay in college for the rest of my life (Van Wilder much!?)...the real world is way too close for me.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Just a little tidbit, speaking from experience:

People who think High School was the best time of their lives have ****ty lives.

Life after college is even better.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

High school was fun. Kind of like life now.

I get up and hang out with friends at school or work. I play jazz, lift weights, and party.

No matter your age or location, you can find ways to have fun, work hard, yet relax when you need to.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

Senior year is the best year. You can definatly get away with a bit of a senior slide. Although my senior slide started in my junior year (which isn't good because of truancy fines). All the teachers went a lot easier on us and gave us some slack with homework and ****.

I miss high school a lot. Not so much the classes, but the social atmosphere. I don't see a lot of the friends that I use to. I can't wait til fall when I start college. Gonna be some fun stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    Just a little tidbit, speaking from experience:

People who think High School was the best time of their lives have ****ty lives.

Life after college is even better.
    I hope you're right. High School sucked for me. College isn't all it's cracked up to be either.

I'm always right.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

College is a blast...I guess I just don't know what to expect in the "real world"
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Senior year was a joke. Blew off class alot to go **** around with my girlfriend.

I also agree with paul about the loving HS and having ****ty lives bit as well. I have only been out for 3 years and already my life is 1000 times better.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Highschool had its fun points but in the end I would never wanna go back.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003 View Post
    WildJames, I was exploiting the point made in you initial post. You, by the way I interpreted what you typed, seem to think that if you don't do WELL in school then you are pumping gas. I find that far-fetched and radical. School hardly taught me responsibility. Also, there are many people who have terrible work ethic in school that work diligently in the working environment. I never understood why I would waist my time doing worksheets that didn't show what I learned when I could just take a test and read the book. I never did a homework assignment all year for physics and I would have passed the class with an A had I. Instead I was given a B because I knew the material, but didn't want to work for it. How does that go? I knew what I had to know and I didn't need to apply it anywhere but on a test. I proved myself on those. I was going to school to eventually get my MBA but decided against it. I was tired of lame ass assignments that did really nothing for me. All my business instructors would just give us a crapload of worksheets so we would "better understand given material during lecture." What a crock.

I hope you do become a Mathematics Professor. It's what you would like to do. But every job, for the most part, will have some kind of benefit to society. You need factory workers to make those bags that you use all the time, you need them for the cars you drive, you need grocery store attendants for service at your work. I think you're undermining those other people because they didn't do really well while they were in high school.
    I understand it takes every type of person doing every type of job to make the world go round. I guess at times in my life I use my attitude towards lifting and nutrition towards other areas of life where it may not be applicable. For example I bust my ass all week lifting and eating right and see results while many people I know work and then drink and smoke at night and sit on their ass and get nowhere. So I related those same kind of ideas to working hard and being intelligent. I know it isn't for everyone. It's just my way of justifying that. I'm just a really motivated person, is all.

Quote Originally Posted by WildJames View Post
    I understand it takes every type of person doing every type of job to make the world go round. I guess at times in my life I use my attitude towards lifting and nutrition towards other areas of life where it may not be applicable. For example I bust my ass all week lifting and eating right and see results while many people I know work and then drink and smoke at night and sit on their ass and get nowhere. So I related those same kind of ideas to working hard and being intelligent. I know it isn't for everyone. It's just my way of justifying that. I'm just a really motivated person, is all.
    It's always good to be highly motivated. I start my schooling tomorrow and I have to very very well in order to continue to be accepted into my program. I also have to do well so I can become certified and then eventually continue my schooling at a University later. There is a place for everyone and that's just how the world works. It's survival of the fittest when it comes down to it. Obviously you must be more fit then some others if you're using your motivation to successfully work your way up and through school.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Junior and senior year were by far the best ever. Senior year had half day of class. If I new better I would have kept flunkin the grade over and over again. I LOVED IT
    6' 2" 22years old
    05' 232lbs, 06' summer 200lbs, Currently 226lbs
    FB 345x1 Seated MP 225x5

Are you kidding me? No responsibilities, tons of hot young girls running around, all you have to do is wake up and learn.

How many wouldn't want to go back in time and do a few things over. I love to go through my mental roller decks of old girlfriends, football, basketball and baseball games, all the parties. Granted college was great too, but man being a big fish in a small pond was great.

You don't know how great it is to be young and have your whole life in front of you. I'm 33 yrs old now, got a wife, a kid and one on the way, I got tons of responsibilities, tons of bills and less and less time to do the things that I like to do. Grass isn't always greener.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Sounds like American schools are pretty easy. Don't you need to pass exams to get into university or what?

Quote Originally Posted by anelka View Post
    Sounds like American schools are pretty easy. Don't you need to pass exams to get into university or what?
    Like the average physical condition of most American's, we don't set the bar that high in academics either.

Most people got into semi decent schools with very poor grades and very poor SAT scores. I had a friend go to a respectable school with a 900 on his SAT and no knowledge of physics, any math above general algebra, couldn't read above a 8th grade level and overall just wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. He had to be re mediated because he scored very poorly on the Pennsylvania System of School Assessment. He's a good guy who'd do anything for you and he's fun to hang out with but I honestly didn't think he'd make it into any respectable school.

It waters down what it means to be a college graduate to me.

American public schools are largely a joke. Very few people do more work than they have to get by, including the teachers. That's my experience anyway.

i had weightlifting class and 7am, then class from 9-11am, then a two hour break, then class for another hour...

just don't let the grades drop too much!