Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: West Coast Conditioning

Haha im just conditioning for fun and see where it'll take me. My numbers while im conditioning arent too impressive but my last powerlifting training cycle I hit 300 3x3 on bench and 295 x 1 on front squat.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke View Post
    Guido - That would be sick man i've always wanted to drive cross country, some day i'll do it. When I do i'll definitelly swing by IL.
    Cool. It's kind of hard to miss going through IL when going cross-country anyway since almost all the major E-W interstates go through it!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Haha im just conditioning for fun and see where it'll take me. My numbers while im conditioning arent too impressive but my last powerlifting training cycle I hit 300 3x3 on bench and 295 x 1 on front squat.
    For your bodyweight those numbers are insane.

Hell. They are better then mine and I weigh 225

Good job man! Keep it up. I need to visit this more often.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Your very strong period, more so when you consider your weight. Good luck out on the West Coast man!

Guido - Hell yah hopefully I can road trip back here for the summer.

Jordan - Thanks man i'm tryin my best, hopefully my numbers will be even better when I start powerlifting againg after this conditioning work.

WBBIRL - Thanks man I cant wait, 2 more days...

After my 15-20 weeks of conditioning I plan to start powerlifting again and I actually wanna hop back in the ol' Rage X again and actually learn how to use it. After seeing the progress some people I know have made in a bench shirt when they've been taught how to actually use correctly i'm really confident I could smash 450+ bench in competition with my shirt if I actually found people to teach me how to use it and get me on a routine that maximizes its potential. Thats why while i'm out there after the conditioning i'm gonna seek out powerlifters and try and learn the shirt as best I can before I come back for the summer. When I come back I plan to start benching over at Southside with Drew and all those guys and really get my bench strength up there. Drew's already almost pushing 400 in his shirt and keeps progressing so hopefully i'd be able to do the same. I'll remain eligable for the 18-19 year old division until October 4th when I turn 20 so by the end of summer I'd like to find myself some competitions and break whatever records I can just for ****s and giggles. The current 165 lb 18-19 year old world record bench is currently 380 lbs in a shirt so it'd be real fun to toss 100 lbs on to the current record and hopefully let it stand that way for some time. Anyway these are just bored ideas i've been having while I wait to finally get outta new england for a while.

Sounds like a crazy idea, I think your like me in the fact your lockouts much stronger then you are off your chest.

Doing some bands and chain work can basically mimic the shirt, as a side thought. 275 at the bottom plus 50 pounds of chain/band at the top is basically same as a shirted bench no?

I've always assumed a bench shirt helps you with the bottom of the lift, either that or I have no idea what I'm talking about =p

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Personally I can't see myself ever using a shirt in powerlifting....

I'd always want to do something raw...... thats more impressive I think.

But if you wanna do it then I'm all for it. Your bench is still much higher then mine regardless..
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 01-17-2007 at 09:33 PM.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

WBBIRL - Everyones lockout is bound to be stronger then off their chest. Bands and chains help work your lockout but I wouldnt say they are exactly like using a bench shirt, theres are minor differences.

Jordanbcool - I just wanna break some records for fun it'd be cool to have my name around the internet on the record sites. I'm a raw lifting advocator but dipping in to the gear game can be fun.

I think Drew has put something like 100lbs on his bench since he started going to southside...

You should have similar results
    Squat:525lbs
    Bench:335lbs
    Deadlift:440lbs

Liftingkid - Yah man thats exactly what I was thinking, I was talking to drew about it yesterday actually. We were both noobs in the shirt and they stacked 100 lbs on to his bench. 100 lbs on my shirted bench would have me around the 480/485 area.. which would be siiiiick. I've been talking with an extremelly strong 165 that lives out in the bay area who benches 385 raw and knows his **** with the shirt. He said I could come lift with his crew anytime so hopefully I can learn the shirt out there and then lift at Southside all summer with Drew and that crew and really get my shirted bench up there.
    Last edited by KevinStarke; 01-18-2007 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks for the props Kevin in my journal.I appreciate it
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

After my 15-20 weeks of conditioning I plan to start powerlifting again and I actually wanna hop back in the ol' Rage X again and actually learn how to use it. After seeing the progress some people I know have made in a bench shirt when they've been taught how to actually use correctly i'm really confident I could smash 450+ bench in competition with my shirt if I actually found people to teach me how to use it and get me on a routine that maximizes its potential. Thats why while i'm out there after the conditioning i'm gonna seek out powerlifters and try and learn the shirt as best I can before I come back for the summer. When I come back I plan to start benching over at Southside with Drew and all those guys and really get my bench strength up there. Drew's already almost pushing 400 in his shirt and keeps progressing so hopefully i'd be able to do the same. I'll remain eligable for the 18-19 year old division until October 4th when I turn 20 so by the end of summer I'd like to find myself some competitions and break whatever records I can just for ****s and giggles. The current 165 lb 18-19 year old world record bench is currently 380 lbs in a shirt so it'd be real fun to toss 100 lbs on to the current record and hopefully let it stand that way for some time. Anyway these are just bored ideas i've been having while I wait to finally get outta new england for a while.
    DO IT!!!!!!
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

I'm sure all this extra conditioning work is only going to help your powerlifting strength in the long term. Have you found a gym you're going to be able to go to out in Cali yet?
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

getfit - Never a problem, I give props where there due.

Sidior - Haha we'll see what happens man.

Guido - Yah im hoping. I havn't looked for a gym yet so it'll be fun to explore the city and find a gym I like, I really can't decide until I see it ya know. Until I find one theres a weightroom in one of the dorms.

Todays workout was fun, very fast too. Everything was light as it should be and chest supported t-bars are definitelly harder then regular t-bars especially with a wide grip. Triceps are good and fried.

Light Upper Day:

*Treadmill*
    *Light Stretching*
    *Shoulder Flexibility Stuff*
    *Rotator Cuff Stuff*
    *Kettlebell Stuff*
    *Foam Roller*
    *Hip Flexibility Stuff*

Close Grip Decline Bench -
    45 x 20
    135 x 8
    165 x 8
    165 x 8
    185 x 5

Dips -
    +30 x 15

Close Grip Low Cable Rows -
    75 x 10
    120 x 8
    120 x 8

Chest Supported T-Bars (Wide Grip) -
    45 x 8
    55 x 8
    65 x 8

Standing DB Press -
    30 x 8
    40 x 8
    40 x 8
    45 x 5

Plyometrics: (20 Second Rests)

Squat Jumps -

Lateral Box Pushoffs -

*DB Raises*
    *Kettlebell Stuff*
    *Rotator Cuff Stuff*
    *Shoulder Flexibility Stuff*
    *Foam Roller*
    *Treadmill*
    *Stretching*
    Last edited by KevinStarke; 01-18-2007 at 02:09 PM.

The plyometric work looks like a great idea. I'm going to incorporate those into my routine pretty when it gets warmer outside.

Iron4Life
    Nice "light" workout Kev!!!!

Wondering why you do those decline CGBPs? Do you find they tax the tris different the flat CGBPs?

debussy - Yah man plyo's are great, I do upper plyo's after my lower workouts and lower plyo's after my upper workouts. So far so good but we'll see how much energy I have in a few weeks.

bearwolf - Thanks man im really liking getting to do 2 upper days a week. The decline cgbp's are there because being the decline bench causes me to have no arch and no leg drive, so its all tri's on the presses and im really trying to fry my triceps this training cycle.

good work kev! do you find widegrip t-bars are awkward at all?
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Liftingkid - Yah man thats exactly what I was thinking, I was talking to drew about it yesterday actually. We were both noobs in the shirt and they stacked 100 lbs on to his bench. 100 lbs on my shirted bench would have me around the 480/485 area.. which would be siiiiick.
    *drools at the thought of 100lbs onto his bench*

I am interested to see how the plyos after each workout will effect you.
    Squat:525lbs
    Bench:335lbs
    Deadlift:440lbs

Iron4Life
    bearwolf - Thanks man im really liking getting to do 2 upper days a week. The decline cgbp's are there because being the decline bench causes me to have no arch and no leg drive, so its all tri's on the presses and im really trying to fry my triceps this training cycle.
    Ahh.. I understand.. I like doing CGBPs with my feet up in the air for the same reason...

Detard - There definitelly different. I tried my best to mimic the bar path from my bench.

Liftingkid - Yah same here, so far it might actually be negative though haha.

Bear - Yah good way to fry the tri's.

I'm not really sure if its the plyo's i've been doing or if I did something stupid during my light lower day this week but my left leg is bugging me. The quad has a real nagging pain going on and theres some slight knee pain every now and then. The nagging pain is what is most annoying and makes my leg feel kinda weak. Anyone have any idea what I could be doing wrong? Landing too hard on my plyo's perhaps?

Ace lighter day Kevin, finished off with the fine plyo's.

gj my man
    2000 or bust

Strong work Kev, looks like your really gettin' a handle on this new style of workout.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

nice varied workout kevin

what kind of stuff do you do for hip flexibility?
    the fear of losing removes the desire to win