The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Good to hear things are going good for ya. I recommend emailing your professors and find out what books you'll need. You'll be able to order them off of amazon.com and save yourself a ****load of money.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Wow, man. SF sounds awesome. I've never been there but have always wanted to go. I'm sure you will meet and see plenty of "interesting" people. Gyms shouldn't be too hard to find in a big city. You'll get plenty of cardio just walking up all the hills, too.

Good luck to you, man. Sounds like you are just beginning a very fun new chapter in your life. Makes me wistful of my college years...*sigh*
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Thanks for all the kind words everyone things are going great. I finally found the nugget connection which actually took longer then I thought but most likelly because theres not very many students here yet.

I'm gonna go check out the gym here in a little bit but im pretty sure it isnt open to students yet. However i've been told by several people that the University is actually planning to buy another large building and make it a big gym that employs the students which means I will be applying to that as soon as humanly possible. I'm gonna have to find another gym to lift at today though and probably pay to lift for the day which I really hate doing, but oh well. I'm really excited to make sandbags as soon as I can find an Army store or order some online if I have any cash left over after buying books hah. I say im excited because right around the corner from my dorm room are 3 blocks of steep ass hill. I plan to do sandbag carries up and down this hill after I get a little more used to the sandbags and do some regular flat ground carries for a week or so. Doing hill walks with sandbags will definitelly destory my legs im pretty excited.

Anyway todays heavy upper day and I just woke up so I'm gonna go try and get some food and then rest a bit before I go find a gym to lift at.

Glad to here you are taking it all in over there, and finding all the proper connections! Good luck bro.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Hahaha, awesome job with the connections. Not much beats a nugget. Anyways, nice job on that last workout. Those things are killer. I would be drained after about half that workout.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Good to hear the move went well! Good times. Live it up.
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

~Someday we'll find it,
    the nugget connection...~

A key connection indeed, I ate my words when I found out medical marijuana clubs actually exist over here.. greatest city... ever..

The food situation is currently awesome. All the caf's on the campus are cook to serve deals. You go in, sign your name and student i.d. on a piece of paper they have by the kitchen which is open for everyone to see how they prepare the food and prep the salad bar, etc... There is food already made depending on the time of day being breakfast, lunch, or dinner and you can ask to have that and/or fill out a slip of paper that has different food options on it like omlet, pancakes, waffles, egg sandwhiches, etc... for breakfast and burgers, chicken tenders, cob salads, etc... for lunch/dinner. You circle whatever you want, write your name on the piece of paper and go sit down and eventually your name is called and you have your food. I've been to many other colleges but the food here definitelly takes the cake on quality as far as school food goes. Fresh fruit every day which means I've been stealing mad bananas.

My gym experience yesterday was ridiculous and funny. I decided to give 24 Hour Fitness a chance... bad idea. All I wanted to do was pay the 1-day fee and check it out by lifting. Instead I somehow ended up gettin taken on a tour of the facility which was 3 floors. My tour guide was on the skinnier side and after explaining to me how to do "circuit training" and how to propely do cardio.. the converstion turned to him saying I had the physique he was goin for and he ended up asking me routine questions for about 10 minutes at his desk before he started to ask me what my goals were and what muscles I wanted to "hit" and work the most.. He was nice enough and all but even after I told him i'd been a competitive powerlifter for a little while now and knew what my goals were he continued to try and explain pretty much the basics to me. Then he was joined by a manager and they both tried pretty much everything to get me to commit to a membership which I definitelly didn't want. Eventually I just said I wanted to pay the damn fee and lift for a day, but they insisted I try for free.

The weights are octagonal... I hate these plates.. the dumbells too. The bars were really strange and I definitelly was not a fan. The benches were all also about 10" off the ground so goodbye powerlifting arch. Definitelly on par with Planet Fitness in terms of how terrible this gym was. My next option is to check out "Crunch" which i'm pretty worried won't be any better.

Also it turns out class doesn't start till the 29th so my days have currently consisted of me waking up, eating, walking around, playing pool, eating, playing foosball, smoking, playing uno attack, smokin again because uno attack makes me wanna kill myself, playing more foosball, and then going to bed. I also went to haight ashbury yesterday and looked around, awesome area of the city there was a headshop every other store. I bought a nice new bat thats perfect for my situation. I'm now gonna go look for another gym..

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    Commercial gyms are terrible. I have a business trip out to San Fran on the 29th. Anything I should check out?
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    When they kept trying to explain to me all the crap. If I had your physique I would simply take off my shirt and do a double bi or lat spread or something. Then slowly put on my shirt and leave.

But if you got in for free....actually I'd probably be annoyed to. I hate when people who aren't giving me good advice keep giving it to me.

Sounds like fun. Enjoy your relaxing/lazy time. It doesn't last when school starts. Why haven't you been partying it up? Thats what people usually do the first week at most colleges. I know we are all bodybuilders and such but I'd be going to atleast a couple parties before all that work started.

P.S. I hate you for your food situation. Its not fair! My college has nothing like that..
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 01-23-2007 at 11:39 AM.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Aside from the gym, it looks like you're set. San Francisco is a great city. I lucked out. There aren't a lot of chain gyms near where I live in chicago. And not far away at all is a badass powerlifting gym. I'm sure you'll find something similar. It's always the holes in the wall that are the best. Funny how that works.
    Last edited by ectx; 01-23-2007 at 11:53 AM.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    congrads on making the move out to San Fran heard its a beautiful city and a bit on the "fabulous" side if ya catch my drift.....lol, but im sure youll have a blast i just made a big move myself out to Atlanta,so far so good, still looking for a job tho. the search is going good
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Iron4Life
    Hey, if I had awesome food like that at college, I would have never left.. lol..

You'll find the right gym.. you should have asked that Manager if he had a position open for you though!! a job is a job...

GL with the Uno...

Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke View Post
    Also it turns out class doesn't start till the 29th
    YAY!

Have you looked into any good sambo/BJJ places in san francisco yet?
    Squat:525lbs
    Bench:335lbs
    Deadlift:440lbs

Justin - So far i've had no luck man Crunch was just as lame.. I know theres a golds somewhere but its definitelly too far for me. If you wanna hang though let me know.

Jordan - Haha there just hasnt been many people here. The bulk of my dorm will get in today.

ectx - Yah im gonna continue searchin around.

bigcorey - Haha oh yah man, several of my RA's are quite fabulous to the say the least, all good people though. The cities amazing man.

Bear - Haha yah they werent hiring but Crunch is... so I might check that out if I get desperate enough.

Liftingkid - Not yet but I definitelly plan to.

Medical mary jane clubs, cool ****!
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    Medical mary jane clubs, cool ****!
    hahaha. I love the mental image this paints!
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Good luck out there in SanFran Kevin.

Im not even joking guys. They are clubs you go to where you can buy ganja of different kinds at whatever weight you want.. dubs, 1/8ths, 1/4ers, ounces, etc.. and its quality stuff plus you know its not altered at all since its all medical. All you need is a card from your doctor that isnt terribly difficult to get you just need to be a resident and you can smoke at the vapor room they have at the clubs or legally at home or on the street. I walked around the city last night with a couple guys we met at the dorm smoking joint after joint and no one even cares.. I'm definitelly getting an appt out here asap.

I'm using this week as kind of a rest period since I dont feel like lifting at these ****ty gyms plus I dont feel like spending money to do so. The school gym opens on the 29th so im just relaxing until then.

Haha. Like you are in a different world! Maybe its true what they say about Cali not being part of the USA.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

this stuff sounds sick
    2000 or bust

You deserve a good city Kev I'm happy for you
    Don't asker for a light load, but a strong back.

JOURNAL

Best Meet Lifts @ 220 Raw:
    Squat - 475
    Bench - 355
    Dead - 500
    Total: 1330

man you are a lucky bastard. Make sure to by yourself a vaporizer- a very worthy investment

Enjoy the rest before classes. Happy to hear you can smoke pot legally, you bastad. Loved the story about the trainer, I was one of those guys. No matter what, you have to make the sale. I always loved it when I knew someone didn't want a tour, but the manager made me take them on one. Major reason I lasted three months there.

Thanks guys im really loving it.

Bigmoney - Haha I wish I had the funds man Volcanos are 200$ cheaper here then they were back in CT. I bought a new bat on Haight street the other day and i've just been smoking that, blunts, and spliffs while i've been here.

Mike G - Yah, gotta do what ya gotta do I guess right haha.

I just got my supply lists for my classes and im a little stressed out. I still have to get CDR's and a 1GB flash drive on top of getting my books and now a $200 light meter.. they didnt freakin tell me I would need a new light meter so I have to find a job asap.