Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul's Online Training Log

Paul's Online Training Log

Hello.

Some of you may recognize me. Some, perhaps not.

A couple of weeks ago, I said, "I used to lift." Without going into too much detail, I haven't trained regularly for the better part of a year. The last several months, I've barely trained at all. It was nice being a normal person.

But I'm not normal.

No before photo, no bodyfat tracking. My goals are simple.

Stay Healthy.
    Get Jacked.
    Total Elite.

I was 217 this morning. For whatever that's worth. I still kinda look like I lift.

I won't go on and on about the 13 specks of salt I had today. I eat following the Precision Nutrition guidelines. I'll let you know if I'm not.

My training is based on the template used by Westside Barbell. It is not Westside training, because I do not train at Westside Barbell. You can call it conjugated periodization if you like. I do.

The next 12 weeks are laid out. As a customer of PN, I had access to a training template laid out by Dave Tate that I decided to use. I am not using it to the letter, and I'm not describing it in full, simply because Dave Tate and John Berardi own the rights to it. If they want you to see it all, they can.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

1/9/2007
    ME Squat
    Warmup - 5 mins elliptical, level 10
    Low close stance box squat
    45x5
    95x5
    135x5
    2x5 @ 185
    Shold have used smaller jumps

RDL
    45x8
    135x8
    4x8 @ 185

Spread eagle situps
    4x8

45 degree back raise
    4x8

Pulldowns
    2x8 @ 150

Stretching.

Being weak sucks.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Goals sound good to me man, looking forward to seeing your progress. Strength will come back gradually.

Awesome that you have a training log now. Like Kev said I'm sure you will be putting guys like me to shame in a matter of weeks.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Do that voodoo that he do
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

All meals yesterday were compliant.

This is what it looked like. All measurements are approximate:
    8am - 2 scoop nitrean, 8oz V8, 3 FOC, ETS, Multi, Glucosamine, 2 cups green tea
    10:30 - 8 oz beef, spinach in a bowl with tbsp olive oil, tbsp red wine vinagar, and a half ounce of feta cheese. mmmmm. cheese.
    1:45 - 2 scoop nitrean. Carrots. Apple.
    2:45 - 3:45 training
    4:15 8 oz chick breast, pasta, carrots
    7:30 8 oz beef, spinach in a bowl with 1bsp olive oil and tbsp red wine vinagar, 1 oz feta cheese. mmmmm. cheese.
    9:30 tbsp psyllium husk. At 36, I am more concerned about poop than ever before. (my poop, not yours)

No need to make it complicated. One of the things I've learned over the years.

Another tidbit:
    What sets most people apart from high level competitive bodybuilders isn't some complicated diet... it's sticking to the diet. Lots of high level competitors hire 'diet coaches' to basically tell them what to eat and when to eat it. These diets are not all that sophisticated... the reason they work is because high level competitors will do anything to win. They do exactly what they are told. If Milos tells someone to eat a slimy dill pickle rolled in a cat box, they'll do it.

Bench training this afternoon.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I swear ... if you drop this journal I will smack you. After you give me a free case of cherry vanilla coke.

Paul, you have all the tools to be successful. You know how to eat. You know how to train. SO DO IT. I know you're a busy guy with work and family, but make the time. Even if it's 20 minutes to do some squats or deadlifts and nothing else ... just do it.

Good luck!

PS - PN is good stuff. Have you registered on their forums? They post a lot of additional material you can download/print and clip into your binder.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

I'm not dropping this one.

The long break was nice, don't get me wrong. I went to work, I got home, I had a cocktail, I made dinner, or we went out. I worked on the house. Whatever. It was nice being 'normal'. I didn't worry about diet, I didn't go to the gym. I didn't eat that poorly, but I stopped eating more than 3 times a day. If I wanted a cookie, I had a cookie.

What I realized: while being normal is nice... I'm not normal. I missed the challenge 4 days a week in the gym - the desire to keep getting better. Normal people don't worry about getting better. I do, and getting back in the gym helps me focus on getting better there, as well as reminds me to keep getting better everywhere... to learn more, to work harder.

The traits that get me to a 500 pound squat, eventually to a 600, or 700, or 800 pound squat, are the same traits that make me continue to learn, and the same traits that will make me more successful in every aspect of life.

This isn't about being busy. Being busy is an excuse.

I bought PN intending to write a review of it for WBB. I never got around to it, but I do think it was worth the money. Not so much for the content, most of which is available for free, and isn't exactly ground breaking... but for the multiple delivery methods, the way it's presented, and the additional value of the PN network. I took advantage of those - it's where I got the 12 week training program I'm using.

I don't visit the PN fourms much, but I am a member.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Awesome your back at it Paul. I 2nd the poopster issue!
    Its sort of silly in many ways. That you touched on but the lifting can really hold you life together and make it better.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

I follow Berardi's diet and usually (I'm taking a 2 month break) use a conjugated periodization routine, too! I'm expecting to see some real success here, make sure to stick with it.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 01-10-2007 at 11:33 AM.

What were your best lifts before you took your lay off? Attaining elite would be quite the accomplishment.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Is there a chart for what Elite is for different weight classes? (Sorry if this is a bit off topic)
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

The only lifts that count when it comes to PLing are the ones in a meet.

I lifted in a meet in December of 2002
    Sq: 335
    B: 285
    D: 395

I think.

I totaled 1015 or so.

My best gym lifts are (from memory, don't hold me to it)
    SQ 445
    B 315
    D 435

Give or take. Right now, you can probably knock 100 pounds off each lift.

You can find a classification chart at the USAPL website, and I'm sure there are others. They vary by federation.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 01-10-2007 at 08:19 PM.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I know dozens of you are wondering what I ate today.

Ok, maybe 2.

7:30 1 serv Opticen, v8, 3 FOC, multi, ETS, glucosamine
    10:30 8oz chicken, tomato and cucumber salad w/ 1 tbsp olive oil
    12:45 8oz beef, carrots
    3:45 2 serv nitrean, tomato and cucumbver salad w/ 1 tbsp olive oil
    6:00 handful of peanuts
    6:45 8 oz chicne breast, bol of spinach with 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp red wine vinagar and 1 oz feta cheese. mmmmm, cheese.
    between 7 and 9 I ate a box of raisins and an apple.
    10:00 1 cup plain lowfat yogurt, 1 serv nitrean, 1 tbsp psyllium husk

All meals compliant.

I didn't train today. By the time I got home from work, it was too late to go, I would have been jokeying with the resolutionists. Given I've built flexibility into the schedule, that's fine... I'm going tomorrow morning and all will be good.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 01-11-2007 at 09:37 AM.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Banned
    + 1 = 3.

Good luck with your new routine.

1/11/2007 ME Bench
    Warmup: 1x15 face pull, pushup, ext rotation, 45 deg back raise

Floor Press
    45x15
    95x5
    135x5
    155x5
    175x5
    2x5 @ 185

Close grip incline press
    45x6
    95x6
    135x6,4,4,3

Lateral raise
    20x8
    3x8 @ 30

Hammer Strength Row
    3x8 @ 90
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by XxH0LyWaRsxX View Post
    Is there a chart for what Elite is for different weight classes? (Sorry if this is a bit off topic)
    I've got the APF chart in my sig. Its the only one that really matters anyway.

The week is almost up Uncle Pauly, will you be starting up another journal?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

I think Uncle Paul is serious about this one.

Thanks Will.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

It's like the return of the old WBBers or something. Good to see you are starting up a journal.

I never stopped lifting, but I've been drinking way too much, eating so-so, and not worrying too much about things. My goals are pretty damn similar to yours. I'll be watching this.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    I'll be watching this journal as well.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield View Post
    I've got the APF chart in my sig. Its the only one that really matters anyway.

The week is almost up Uncle Pauly, will you be starting up another journal?
    I'm thinking about trying HST.

The week after, I'll try MaxOT.

Then I'll try UD2, because I got fat.

This is the journal to end all journals.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood&Iron View Post
    It's like the return of the old WBBers or something. Good to see you are starting up a journal.

I never stopped lifting, but I've been drinking way too much, eating so-so, and not worrying too much about things. My goals are pretty damn similar to yours. I'll be watching this.
    Other than the lifting, that's exactly what I did! It's much mroe effective to stop lifting. You go to **** much faster.

Good to see you back on the forums.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by XxH0LyWaRsxX View Post
    I think Uncle Paul is serious about this one.

Thanks Will.
    Serious as a heart attack.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    Other than the lifting, that's exactly what I did! It's much mroe effective to stop lifting. You go to **** much faster.

Good to see you back on the forums.
    I even have a new journal. It's pretty boring, though.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

By the way, had a non compliant meal yesterday. Pizza. mmmmmm.

My little sister popped out another childrens (that's number 4 for her); I went to visit last night, and when I got home, I wanted pizza. So I had some.

Unfortunately, I'm out of beer. It was stupid of me to let the stockpile run down, because I really would have enjoyed a 60 minute IPA.

Oh, well.

Having dinner with friends tonight, but we're making dinner, so it should actually be OK. As long as I don't have more than a glass of wine.

By the way, I'm sore as hell. I'm going to be huge.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 01-12-2007 at 06:12 AM.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.