The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

need shoes for deadlifts and squatting

my adidas superstar classics are seeing time and i think its time to move on to another pair of shoes that i can deadlift and squat comfortably in. actually, these shoes will only be seeing squat and deadlift work.

i never worn wrestling shoes or chuck taylors matter of fact, so i have no idea on what makes a good deadlift/squat shoe. i was checking out footlock.com and they had a fairly large selection of wrestling shoes by adidas/asics/nike/etc.

are their any websites that speciallize in weight lifting shoes? or will any wrestling type shoe do the job? and lastly, what makes a deadlift/squat shoe a good one?

another thing, where the hell can i find chaulk?? i checked big-5, sportmart, copeland sports, walmart, and some discount stores..no luck

thanks
    Last edited by jtteg_x; 12-10-2005 at 03:07 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

For chalk, if you don't want to order it online, ask a manager at a sporting goods store if they will order it for you. They'll probably be accomodating if you are a regular customer. You can get it from Inzer and probably a thousand other sites if you decide to get it online.

IMHO, and many will disagree with me, Chucks suck for squatting. I know a lot of world-class squatter use them, but I feel like I am squatting on a wrestling mat if I use any kind of regular athletic shoe when squatting with anything over 315. I want a stable surface (i.e. a hard sole) to squat on. I wear Adidas Olympic weightlifting shoes - expensive, but no more than a lot of people would pay for a pair of basketball shoes and not bat an eye.

You will get one of two opinions on squat shoes - the pro-Chuck (generally Westside) point of view or the anti-Chuck point of view. There are a lot of really great squatters on both sides of the fence on this one, so don't believe anyone who tells you "Oh, all the great squatters use ...".

Wrestling shoes are all right for deadlifting and will put you as low to the ground as you can be, so if you are looking to pull the most weight possible, then they are probably the way to go. No foot support though.

You can get these huge blocks of chalk at REI for like 99 cents.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

:withstupi
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

thanks for the help fellas.

i will be checking out some shoe stores for some wrestling shoes...what should i look for besides having a very slim and grippy sole? i know my adidas superstar classics have a hard toe sole, should i be looking for a non-hard toe ends?

it looks like ill buy the chaulk online, where is the cheapest i can find chaulk at? i need about a brick size block. i also heard their is more than one type of chaulk? if so, im gonna be using it specifically for heavy deads

Banned
    sensei, where did you get those olympic shoes from? the only online retailers i can find are in europe whereas I am in the US.

Barefoot.

Banned
    nm i found http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/

im probably gonna order some ironwork II's tommorow if the guy answers his phone on a sunday hah

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Caulk has a "U" in it. Chalk does not.
    I use Combat Boots.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma
    sensei, where did you get those olympic shoes from? the only online retailers i can find are in europe whereas I am in the US.
    You can get them from Eleiko or USA Weightlifting (http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/catalog.asp). I got mine from Safe USA a while back and they used to sell a squat shoe, but I don't see shoes listed at all at their site anymore.
    Rickey Dale Crain sells a shoe designed for squatting and I think his site is called Crain's Muscle World. I'm sure it's an outstanding shoe.

Banned
    just curious, but how much did you pay? the iron work II's are listed for $180, which is pretty steep for gym shoes.. but ive been real unhappy with all of the other shoes ive tried, including chuck taylors, adidas t-gels, merrells, and new balances. so if theyre great for lifting, im more than happy to drop the money.

Banned
    looks like the USA weightlifting store is out of stock in my size in all their adidas shoes..

http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/products/adiStar2004.html has what i want.. but $180 is steep. i guess i'm going to get them anyway though.

BIG BOI
    i like boots for squats

looks like the USA weightlifting store is out of stock in my size in all their adidas shoes..

http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/products/adiStar2004.html has what i want.. but $180 is steep. i guess i'm going to get them anyway though.
    You did see these too, right? http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/products/adiStarFRS.html They're about $40 less.

Also, if you're not going to be doing any olympic-type of lifting, you might want to look into the Safe shoes (I'm pretty sure that a Titan dealer would have them) or Rickey Dale Crain's squat shoe. They'd probably both still be about $100, but it might be more in line w. what you want/need.
    Last edited by Sensei; 12-11-2005 at 12:55 AM.

Banned
    both of those are $180?? they have the same model number anyway. i do some olympic lifts, but i really just want a shoe that is good for lifting overall.

another option:

http://www.weightliftingshoes.ca/

I believe Glenn Pendlay sells shoes as well, and he's in the US.
    Last edited by khari; 12-11-2005 at 10:21 AM.

both of those are $180?? they have the same model number anyway. i do some olympic lifts, but i really just want a shoe that is good for lifting overall.
    I don't know why, but the link I posted jumps to the same shoes you linked - the ones I'm talking about are red. They are $139. Go to the Eleiko homepage, then click on the Adidas weightlifting shoes - you should be able to find it from there.

I don't think there is one shoe that is going to do it all. IMHO, if you are looking to save $$ and you can find a shoe w. a fairly firm sole, slightly raised heel and decent arch support, then that would probably be your best option.

Quote Originally Posted by khari
    another option:

http://www.weightliftingshoes.ca/

I believe Glenn Pendlay sells shoes as well, and he's in the US.
    Weightlifting shoes are some ugly azz shoes IMO. carry on.......... :evillaugh
    stats:
    height:6'0
    weight: 240lbs
    BF%: about 12%
    Benchmarks-
    Bench press Max: 425lbs
    Squat Max: 515lbs
    Dead Lift Max: 585lbs

http://powerliftingstore.com/product...912c0c9646ef1a

They do have wooden heals with a rubber mold around them for none slip surface.

Kc

Quote Originally Posted by FortifiedIron
    http://powerliftingstore.com/product...912c0c9646ef1a

They do have wooden heals with a rubber mold around them for none slip surface.

Kc
    What's the difference between the two models? Just color or is the heel different?

Just color.

They are almost identical in quality with the Adidas shoes.

Kc

I use black Asics wrestling shoes purchased for $50 at Dick's Sporting Goods for Deads and Squats.

I like my lime green chucks
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

I lift in newbalances.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

i lift in my old broken in jordan cross trainers..pretty flat sole not very grippy but i love em...

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto