Thread: trying to help mother lose weight..

trying to help mother lose weight..

i set her up on fitday but i need a couple questions answered that i can't seem to figure out:
    1) can you really factor in what fitday says about basal calories burned? Not only can it not be accurate because of genetics but I dont see how your body can burn as much as its saying.
    2) i used a caloric calculator to determine how many calories she needed per day to maintain weight. then I did all the math according to how many pounds she needed to lose per week to reach her goal weight in amount of time she wanted. I came to the conclusion that by the end of the day she can only take in 1100 calories.
    - What do you recommend I tell her as the best way to achieve this? Aim for about 1500 and make sure that you're active during the day?
    3) any supplements you recommend her to take?
    she's 44 by the way

Banned
    Don't use fitday's calculators. Figure out her maintenance level by putting in everything she eats for a few days and averaging it out. This will give you some idea of where to start. Post those numbers here and talk to built. She's the queen of middle aged weight loss.

As for supplements, I think the general answer is going to be fish oil, multivitamin and protein powder is she doesn't get enough protein. As with all supplements, these are really only necessary if you don't already get enough of it in your diet.