Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acne and lifting

Nooob ...but dedicated!

Acne and lifting

Hey all,

I started lifting seriously about 3 months ago. Two months prior I was eating right, doing cardio and light lifting to get back in it. I use a basic protein powder and multi vitamin.

About 2 weeks into my more serious lifting I started getting acne more than usual. I get it on my face, thighs and ...well my ass. I chalked it up to extra stress at work but it never went away. I have never had a problem with acne in the past ...even as teenager I didn't ever get it to bad. Needless to say I am not crazy about a pimpled ass and neither is the wife(she asked if I was on the juice...I am not).

Can anyone shed some light as to why I am getting it now at 29 years old? Do you all get it or notice and increase? Any fixes? See a doctor?

As always thanks for your help.

H.H.

All advice is appreciated.
    03 PSM Impreza WRX
    Short throw shifter
    Tokico D-Specs
    Front and rear sway....D'OH! Wrong Forum!

I have moderate acne at age 22, and it pisses me off. I have it on my face, back, upper arms, and ass. I think it's due to increased testosterone levels from lifting, but then again I've had varying levels of acne for nearly a decade, so I could be wrong.

I began to have some too..only on the shoulders, im 18. Its since I take my whey gainer with my creatine.
    5' 11" 160 20 y/o
    8% b/f

People are quick to blame their acne on things like working out and such. I had severe acne (just about cystic). This came for no reason. It was bad... when I was 16 I had acne everywhere on my face. Working out or not, I still had acne.

The fact is, acne is 99% genetic, 1% hygiene. My mother had acne (still does), my grandfather had acne (and at 70 years old still gets it). I had it worse than them. I went on accutane and that cleared it up. But during the time I did have acne I learnt alot.

They all say that washing your face (using soap, benzoyl peroxide, tea trea oil...) will clear you up. It wont, it will just help a little bit. The only real cure is accutane. If your mild acne (i wouldnt go as far as moderate yet) wont respond to anything, than accutane is the only way.

Lifting weights does affect your testosterone levels which are what stimulates your sebum glands. But how you responds to an increase of sebum can differ from others (which can either make you more susceptable or less to acne). In your case, your more susceptable. Either live with it, try a facial wash, or go on accutane if all else fails.

Nooob ...but dedicated!
    Accutane huh? I'll speak to my Doc.

Thanks guys,

H.H.
    03 PSM Impreza WRX
    Short throw shifter
    Tokico D-Specs

accutane is NOT something to take casually man. first off, a 'cycle' of accutane is usually around 16-20 weeks, and will cost $1500+ between the meds (about $5 per pill without a co-pay), monthly blood tests, monthly doctor visits, and some prescription lip balm and lotion.

then there are the side effects: liver failure (hence the blood tests), severe depression, extreme dry skin and hair, and extreme sun-sensitivity (hanging my arm out the car window made it feel like i was on fire...sunburn on the face after 10 mins of noon-time sun exposure).

Are you showering right after your workouts, or are you allowing all that sweat to work into the pores so they clog up and form pimples?

I had cystic acne too, and couldnt' complete a full run of accutane because my blood tests just got worse and worse the longer I was on it. luckily I did get enough that it got rid of 99% of my acne. I don't really get bad cysts, if I even get one, and most just form normal zits that last a couple days.
    my longest cyst persisted for over 2 months, and left a sweet scar.

Wannabebig Member
    Just like any drug, there are side effects to accutane. However, chances are you will not see experience the side effects; at least not the extremeties that can be associated with them. I was on accutane about 8 years ago and did not experience any of the side effects mentioned in the previous post. Came off of it the first time and still was experiencing a few outbreaks. The doctor put me back on it and I've never really had any acne ever since other than my back. I don't think breakouts are really associated with working out. As long as you are showering afterwards, there really should be no reason as to why it would cause more acne. I get acne on my back while at school in the winter. I think I can attribute this to not washing my sheets frequently enough, and my back never really getting exposure to sunlight. During the summer, when I am shirtless 80% of the time at home, my back clears up almost instantly. Try getting more sun and see if the acne goes away.

If you have bad acne and are interested in clearing it up, I would recommend going to your doctor and asking about this accutane. Worst that will happen is the doctor will look at your blood test and deem you not fit for the drug.
    Last edited by evnp85; 01-12-2007 at 11:31 AM.

Nooob ...but dedicated!
    Malkore - Thanks for the input...Ithought it was just a topical cream or something. My acne is not bad enough to go through what you speak of.

Can you explain the cysts you mentioned. Every once in a while I get these hard red lumps on the back of my legs. They swell up reall good...bright red...almost hot to the touch and hurt like hell to touch or sit on. They sometimes take a week to go down and they do leave scars. I thought it was a pimple at first but no head ever forms...almost like a really really bad ingorwn hair. Is this the same "Cyst" you speak of? What can I do to avoid them?
    03 PSM Impreza WRX
    Short throw shifter
    Tokico D-Specs

is it the extra testosterone that is being released? that is what i heard.

I would recommend showering after you lift, making sure that the benches you lift on are disinfected (if they dont provide disinfectant then bring your own towel to lay on) and use a loofah in the shower. More then likely you just have clogged pores as a result of sweat, and using the loofah every time you shower should help.

Dont take accutane unless you have SEVERE acne, my best friend nearly died of liver failure from that ****. Its just not worth it unless it is really affecting your life! Go buy proactiv or AcneFree (cheaper version of proactiv but I find it works jus tas well). I used to have moderate acne and this facewash/toner/lotion combo worked very well on my skin.

Use accutane as a LAST resort!
    Stats:
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

Nooob ...but dedicated!
    I do shower after I lift.....ALWAYS. I'll try the loofa...is that the rough ass sponge that my wife uses....the sponge that nearly tore the skin off of my face last time I used it?

Anyone else have info on the "Cysts" that Malkore mentioned?

Thanks again.
    03 PSM Impreza WRX
    Short throw shifter
    Tokico D-Specs

No its not a sponge per sey, its actually like a ball which is made of small tiny layers of a sponge. Go to the "body shop" or something to that effect and ask them for a loofah, they're super cheap but work very well.

I dont know anything about cysts, sorry!
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

Wannabebig Member
    humidity,

go see a derm. he/she will likely set you up with tetracycline or one of its variants. in mild to moderate cases tetra works very well. accutane is usually reserved for extreme cases like mine was. i took it over 5 years ago and still haven't had a blemish- diet, showering, food choices, washing your pillow, whatever will have no effect on your complexion, good or bad, whatsoever. proper medicine does, however. it's really the only way to shake it. it cannot be cured, per se, but the symptoms (zits) can be controlled and suppressed.

yeah, and the paranoia regarding accutane isn't anymore to worry about than the effects of any other drug. they all have side effects but whether or not you experience any is largely a gamble. christ, aspirin can kill you.
    Last edited by cirrus; 01-12-2007 at 12:33 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredd View Post
    I began to have some too..only on the shoulders, im 18. Its since I take my whey gainer with my creatine.
    Your blaming acne on taking creating with protein? I don't think so.

Well, I just got back from the doc this morning after some blood work. I'm going on accutane next week. I too never experienced bad acne until I started lifting seriously. I've tried everything and now I'm going on the med. It's nice to hear that it should be a real joy using the stuff. I'm so excited...
    Height: 5-9
    Weight:~160 @ 13-15 bf%?....starting figure after nearly a year of battling CFS/mono...so not too bad imo.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=ray34iyf
    Max Lifts:
    Don't know anymore..don't care atm.

1) loofahs arent very good for your skin, unless you be VERY gentle
    2) Tetracycline sucks. You have to take it at certain times in the day and often it doesnt work. I went on minocycline (similair to tetra) and it really sucks. It doesnt help acne very much and its doing damage to your body. Long term antibiotics arent the answer. I regret going on them and should have went straight to accutane.
    3) Want to know why people get depression? Because people know accutane is the final resort. People who go on accutane and dont see results get depressed because there isnt anything else out there to fix their acne. People on acne forums always say they feel like ending theyre life. Whether they really do or not is in question, but the fact that they are saying it shows the effect of acne.

4) When it comes to skin care, take the simple approach. I dont like this whole wash/toner/lotion combo. It made my acne worse. All you need is good old H20, and an antibacterial which wont dry out your skin (alcohol and benzoyl peroxide) or promote aging (benzoyl peroxide= same effect as free radicals).

The absolute best antibacterial out there for acne I feel is tea tree oil. Get a few bottles of pure tea tree oil (which can last you a while) and spot treat using that on current pimples. But before that, wash your face with something like capsiderm or an all natural facewash.

http://www.sinusbuster.com/capsiderm.html

This routine has helped subdue most of my acne before I went on accutane. Once you get used to the smells it wont be a problem.

Wannabebig Member
    some people have great results with tetracycline, so don't write it of just because it might not have worked for you personally.

The usual approach to treating acne ranges from a mild benzoyl peroxide wash + antibiotic gel to isotretinoin (accutane). best bet is to go see a dermo. the amount of times i've seen GPs give inappropriate treatment for the severity of someone's acne is a joke. also, the side effects of accutane are often over-hyped. so long as you're taking it as directed and getting the regular checkups / tests, you'll be fine.

a month after i started lifting i got acne. it was so sudden that my mom got worried and sent me to a derm right away. i took a low dose of accutane since i had mild acne and now im clear. im on topical stuff now to keep from breaking out ever. accutane worked
    "F-ck life before it f-cks you"

17 yrs old, female
    130 lbs, 5'8"

This isnt just my thoughts on it. I got much imput from other people who took these drugs and all didnt get the results they wanted.

antiobiotics arent good. theyre only good for the short time you are on them and when youre off them it all comes back. its a temporary solution
    "F-ck life before it f-cks you"

17 yrs old, female
    130 lbs, 5'8"

^^^ That guy needs accutane

Frankly, acne is a natural way that the body deals with impurities... I cant help but wonder if there is a reason for it and if, when you take this accutane ****, you actually end up causing yourself alot more harm. Keep in mind it is a drug that has not been around for very long, and that there has been no long term studies done on it (think 20-30 years). Im always wary of new drugs, I probably could have used it too but I preferred to deal with it.

That being said. BFGuitar, Im talking about a LOOFAH, not a Luffa sponge... VERY different! Loofahs are big huge balls of poof basically, very gentle and they slough off dead skin cells. I use one every day and have never had problems with acne anywhere but on my face (which you dont use it on btw). A Luffa sponge is extremely hard on the skin as it is just a section of the actual live sponge, extremely scratchy and not as much fun as a loofah.

The facewash/toner/lotion combo works very well on very specific skin types, just because one thing did not work for you you cannot recommend it as an overall. Each person's skin type will react very differently to different things. For example, I used tea tree oil and had absolutely no results- the exact same stuff as you would be using btw. However, my skin type had a very good reaction to the proactiv/acne free ****.

to the OP: Try everything but start small, dont jump straight to the big stuff because if you are one of the poor few who gets the side effects; you will definately regret it. Start with something like tea tree oil or acne free and build up from there!
    Stats:

Picture Links
    MY JOURNAL

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
    to the OP: Try everything but start small, dont jump straight to the big stuff because if you are one of the poor few who gets the side effects; you will definately regret it. Start with something like tea tree oil or acne free and build up from there!
    I agree with starting small, but I think the best thing you can do is see a dermatologist. Using a loofah will probably work if you hace very mild topical acne. The thing it won't do **** if you have deep cystic acne. A dermatologist will figure out what you have and knows what will work the first time, rather than just taking a stab in the dark every time.

Ruffian im skeptical to even say thats acne rather than some sort of horrible disease (acne is a disease though). It very well could be really bad acne coupled with other problems.

Proactive is a bunch of crap. You could buy the exact same thing at walgreens or shoppers drug mart for less than half the price. Its definately over hyped.

Proactive made my skin worse... whether it was the proactive or how it was going to happen I dont know.

Accutane is not a bad drug. People who feel the most side effects are ones who:
    1) Dont drink alot of water
    2) Have crappy lifestyles (diet, excersise... ect)

If you drink enough water, youll be fine. Of course there is always a chance that no matter what you do youll be affected.

I would reccomend accutane not only for people with severe acne, but also for people with persistant acne. Im not talking about the 15-19 year old with mild acne (thats normal). Im talking about the people in there mid 20s who still have acne. Even if its mild, accutane could be a good choice.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    Accutane is not a bad drug. People who feel the most side effects are ones who:
    1) Dont drink alot of water
    2) Have crappy lifestyles (diet, excersise... ect)
    That doesn't help the mental side effects