Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bench max

bench max

i have been doing the 5x5 routine for a while and gained alot on my bench i was wondering if anyone knows any different ways that i can get my bench max to go up?
    "Irishman"

Weight 168lb----Height 5"9
    Bench max- 205lb----goal 225lb
    Deadlift max-305lb----goal 400lb
    Squat max-260lb----goal 300lb

outnumber

are you still gaining on your routine? If so then whats the prob?
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

^Word. If you start to stall in your progress, the easiest thing is just to change the set/rep scheme. Perhaps try 8 sets of 3 next till you start to stall again.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

try this workout: do 4 sets of 5 going up every set then do a workout of DB bench, bent bar bench, close grip, weighted dips, and push downs. then next week do 5x3, the week after, 5x2, then finally max out w/ 2 2 1 1 1 or 2 2 2 1 1 with of course the last set a new max. do all the other exercises every workout i mentioned too. you should at least be doing this work out of 5's then 3's then 2's then max out 2-3 times a week. (means do 5's for a week, then 3's the next week, then 2's the next, then max out)
    snatch: 185
    Bench: 245
    Clean: 245
    Jerk: 275x2
    C+J: 245
    TANDEM C+J: 442
    Weight:148.5
    Need to weigh: 62kg
    Body fat: 6.3%
    Goal for State: 255 Bench, 260 C+J. and 205 snatch for OLY

Quote Originally Posted by vrizzle View Post
    try this workout: do 4 sets of 5 going up every set then do a workout of DB bench, bent bar bench, close grip, weighted dips, and push downs. then next week do 5x3, the week after, 5x2, then finally max out w/ 2 2 1 1 1 or 2 2 2 1 1 with of course the last set a new max. do all the other exercises every workout i mentioned too. you should at least be doing this work out of 5's then 3's then 2's then max out 2-3 times a week. (means do 5's for a week, then 3's the next week, then 2's the next, then max out)
    That sounds terrible if I read it correctly, which it's highly likely I didn't. The enter key works very well

Did you say max out 2-3 times a week?

If you're actually progressing on the 5x5 scheme, I don't see a reason to change it. Just keep doing what you're doing. As you add on more weight, you're also increasing your 1RM.
    Last edited by Chris686; 01-29-2007 at 03:49 PM.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

i agree if its not broken dont try to fix it five working sets of five sounds good but when do you work up to a one rep max?

i do three sets of 5 but i take the heavyest weight i can use for my first set and get 5 reps with, then use that same weight for my other two sets by then my muscles are exhausted and i have seen good progress.

if i can do more than five i go up five pounds.

Banned
    you still will need to work some doubles and singles in if you want your 1rm up.
    if your workouts dont seem to difficult anymore try doing a set of 2 then a couple of singles in

Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    you still will need to work some doubles and singles in if you want your 1rm up.
    if your workouts dont seem to difficult anymore try doing a set of 2 then a couple of singles in
    sounds good to me

Quote Originally Posted by Chris686 View Post
    That sounds terrible if I read it correctly, which it's highly likely I didn't. The enter key works very well

Did you say max out 2-3 times a week?

If you're actually progressing on the 5x5 scheme, I don't see a reason to change it. Just keep doing what you're doing. As you add on more weight, you're also increasing your 1RM.
    no. not max out 3 times a week. do the workout 2-3 times a week. building up to a max. btw- Ive maxed out twice in bench the same week and have gone up but that was when it was a "max out" week.

I think speed work is a good tool for increasing your bench max. Take 65% of your max and lower it slowly down to your chest, and then explode it as fast as you can off of your chest. Do about 4 sets of 4 reps of that once every two weeks or so.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

no. not max out 3 times a week. do the workout 2-3 times a week. building up to a max. btw- Ive maxed out twice in bench the same week and have gone up but that was when it was a "max out" week.
    So... bench like that three times a week?

Still sounds bad.

When would you squat or dead?

...Overtraining.
    Last edited by Chris686; 01-29-2007 at 11:53 PM.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris686 View Post
    So... bench like that three times a week?

Still sounds bad.

When would you squat or dead?

...Overtraining.
    yes definatly doesnt sound good.
    if your putting in the effort your muscles wont heal in time.
    1 heavy day/max effort day for bench a week is plenty, it takes me like 3-4 days for my muscles to heal and not be sore.
    if you want to do a split do what the others have sugusted with a light/speed day, with no real weight to make you sore again.
    Last edited by smokinHawk; 01-30-2007 at 06:09 AM.

well my muscles are never sore. I'm a part of a weightlifting team that has won 22 out of the last 30 state championships. We are the most dominant high school team in the state of Florida. we've had dozens upon dozens of individual state champions. I think i know what I'm talking about. We work our asses off and produce results. we've even have an Olympian alumni. we workout 5 days a week, during student vacations when other teams don't, during the summer, and even on some holidays. maybe its too much for you guys to handle, but anyone can do the workout and get strong fast. anyway, sorry for the rant, heres our splits

Monday: Bench

Tuesday: cleans, backsquats

Wednesday: jerks, bench (focus on jerks more than bench on Wed.)

Thursday: cleans, frontsquats

Friday: Bench, jerks

i don't know if that's a lot or a little, it's just what we do.

Banned
    well my muscles are never sore. I'm a part of a weightlifting team that has won 22 out of the last 30 state championships. We are the most dominant high school team in the state of Florida. we've had dozens upon dozens of individual state champions. I think i know what I'm talking about. We work our asses off and produce results. we've even have an Olympian alumni. we workout 5 days a week, during student vacations when other teams don't, during the summer, and even on some holidays. maybe its too much for you guys to handle, but anyone can do the workout and get strong fast. anyway, sorry for the rant, heres our splits

first off if your muscles arnt sore your not working with enough intesity or heavy weight.
    when i was young and foolish first starting out i could bench every other day, my muscles wernt sore, cause i didnt work them that hard, even though i did ten sets of ten, when i learned to work them harder i had to cut down to 2 times a week, then when i started to use heavy weights, my muscles didnt heal in time /have enough rest to recouperate so i had to cut down to benching once a week, as injuries started to show from doing it twice a week.
    my lifts went up faster doing it only once a week, as i finally hit a double raw on the bench.
    Take the advice from some one who has been their and done that, in a year or two your joints and tendons will hav eproblems from the way your lifting now, and your muscles will grow faster if you bring up the intensity and cut down the number of days.
    when i was about your age and weight i was benching 275 (137lb body weight) as it went up pretty easy from 230ish pounds to the 275 once i went to once a week.
    As everyone else here says " your muscles don't grow in the gym but out of it when you rest" that is true.

maybe if your team did that you would have won 30 out of 30
    Last edited by smokinHawk; 02-01-2007 at 06:24 AM.

Although I don't like your workout or maybe even your attitude, I really appreciate your work ethic. I would not recommend this program to others, but I'm glad it has been working for you guys.

first off if your muscles arnt sore your not working with enough intesity or heavy weight.
    100% incorrect.

Carry on.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

What? Was has soreness got to do with anything?

Typically after you've been training for a while, then when you get sore, its a good indication of the beginnings of overtraining.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield View Post
    What? Was has soreness got to do with anything?

Typically after you've been training for a while, then when you get sore, its a good indication of the beginnings of overtraining.
    Soreness is not an indication of overtraining. Most of the people I know in this sport who compete on an elite level usually feel like they have been hit by a truck. I ice bodyparts on a regular basis to combat soreness.

Banned
    I have to agree with VD, I feel like I've been hit by a truck after every heavy Squat/DL and Bench session. If you really want to increase your bench max, read and re-read every article written about the Westside Methods and the Metal Militia. Also, follow mccray's training log, vdizenzo's log, and my log. We all train together. I'm not trying to say we know it all, but our training is a combination of the Metal Militia (vdizenzo is a Crawford disciple) and the Westside stuff (how I learned to powerlift). Read and teach yourself about how to train. That's how you'll succeed in powerlifting or strength training in general. JMO

cameronp81
    when i was young and foolish first starting out i could bench every other day, my muscles wernt sore, cause i didnt work them that hard, even though i did ten sets of ten, when i learned to work them harder i had to cut down to 2 times a week, then when i started to use heavy weights, my muscles didnt heal in time /have enough rest to recouperate so i had to cut down to benching once a week, as injuries started to show from doing it twice a week.
    my lifts went up faster doing it only once a week, as i finally hit a double raw on the bench.
    Take the advice from some one who has been their and done that, in a year or two your joints and tendons will hav eproblems from the way your lifting now, and your muscles will grow faster if you bring up the intensity and cut down the number of days.
    when i was about your age and weight i was benching 275 (137lb body weight) as it went up pretty easy from 230ish pounds to the 275 once i went to once a week.
    As everyone else here says " your muscles don't grow in the gym but out of it when you rest" that is true.

maybe if your team did that you would have won 30 out of 30
    Ok dude this comment you laid is completely unresearched or stupid whatever you wanna call it. Vrizzle and I exchanged some ideas not too long ago I already had tremendous respect for Spruce Creek because of what they had done I was trying to add some things to my teams repetoire. Here's your problem smokin hawk maybe you have been there and done it but you've done it wrong. Do you know how to stretch? Its a proven fact that stretching prevents soreness maybe vrizzle stretches well cuz i'm sure being at spruce he works damn hard enough to be sore. Drinking water also prevents soreness dude. Tendons and ligament may start hurting you're right about that but only if you're lifting incorrectly or possibly your joints are just weak try drinking milk. 30 out of 30? Now i know you have no idea of what your saying. 22 out of 30 is absolutely incredible if you have ever watched spruce at the state championship all of their lifters have good form and are extremely strong. Also the crowd at the meet is 3/4 spruce creek fans! They are clearly a weightlifting school and those 8 years they didnt win whos knows what happend maybe somebody scratched out cuz they never lost by more than a few points. My team has won once in the last 25 years but we haven't lost a regular season meet since 1981 so that shows you just how dominant they are. So smokin hawk please shut up.
    Last edited by cameronp81; 02-01-2007 at 07:22 PM.
    age-24
    height- 5'9''
    weight-191
    bench-305
    c&j-280
    snatch-185
    squat-340
    deadlift-435

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Soreness is not an indication of overtraining. Most of the people I know in this sport who compete on an elite level usually feel like they have been hit by a truck. I ice bodyparts on a regular basis to combat soreness.
    Do you ice muscles or are you icing joints? I feel almost flu like the next day after a heavy session but just pure muscle soreness, that comes from training a weak point that has been missed for a few weeks. Its not indicitive of growth or response.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Place an order with AtLarge. Ask for Wolfe's Top 10 bench tips and the Increase Your Bench in 60 days flyers.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

intensity? don't make me laugh. I'm not going to explain myself. this thread is about benching, and as far as benching is concerned i no longer get sore b/c of the intensity and volume of lifting. In the beginning of my freshman year i used to get sore for the first two weeks, every muscle in my body got sore and i worked out through the soreness (which apparently is kind of bad), but after that I've been ok. Sometimes we'll do some random exercise that isolates some muscle and that might get sore. nothing is wrong w/ benching 3 days a week. its comparable to the bulgarians working out 6 days a week, many a time twice in one day. once u work up a tolerance and capacity to workout with that kind of intensity, everything is A OK. Sorry for seeming like a know-it-all ass, but i just gave my opinion on a bench workout that has produced great results. thanks for the backup Cam

I have talked to many about muscle soreness. I almost always get sore from day 1 when I started lifting. Some people are more prone to it than others, is my guess.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)