Thread: Lifting weights 3 or 4 times a day?

Hybrid View

Lifting weights 3 or 4 times a day?

I heard from a friend that the fastest way to gain muscle mass is to lift 3-4 times a day, 4-5 times a week. I'm no expert in this, I just started lifting weights regularly a few months ago. So, before he told me about lifting weights that intensively I always thought I should rest at least a day after lifting to give the muscle time to repair and grow. So before I agree with my buddy on that one, I wanna know if you agree with him ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bleek13 View Post
    I heard from a friend that the fastest way to gain muscle mass is to lift 3-4 times a day, 4-5 times a week. I'm no expert in this, I just started lifting weights regularly a few months ago. So, before he told me about lifting weights that intensively I always thought I should rest at least a day after lifting to give the muscle time to repair and grow. So before I agree with my buddy on that one, I wanna know if you agree with him ?

That would be a very bad idea. Lifting the weights does not increase muscle size. The actual resting and eating part does. The only objective you have with lifting weights is to tear down the fibers.. a spark..not murder. If you lifted weights 3-4 times a day and 5 times a week, your muscles would be overtrained and actually atrophy instead.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    That would be a very bad idea. Lifting the weights does not increase muscle size. The actual resting and eating part does. The only objective you have with lifting weights is to tear down the fibers.. a spark..not murder. If you lifted weights 3-4 times a day and 5 times a week, your muscles would be overtrained and actually atrophy instead.
    Thanks, I was always felt a little cynical about that idea.

Rich is spot on the money here!
    Your mate, unfortunately, has no idea what he is talking about...

Current PR's (updated 19th March.)

Bench: 325lbs/ 145kgs
    Dead: 395lbs/ 180kgs
    Squat: 370lbs/ 165kgs x 1 parallel.

If your goal is muscular size then I see training more than twice a day pointless, however its very possible to set up numerous sessions a day for training and its very common in olympic weightlifters.

Its about understanding how to do it, not just doing it like an idiot.

Kc

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Stop listening to your friend. That sounds like a recipe for seriously injuring yourself, on top of overtraining.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

dont listen to your buddy, what you think is right, muscles need time to repair, 1-2 days in most cases, 3-4 if you really beat em up.
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by Bleek13 View Post
    I'm guessing your buddy isn't very big
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris686 View Post
    LOL, he's actually fat and has apparently started weightlifting to increase his metabolism rate and get in shape that way.

...and thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris686 View Post
    I'm guessing his buddy is feeding him ****.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Training 3 or 4 times per day is silly and will likely lead to injury.

High frequency training has been done succesfully, however. Check out this article: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...dra?id=1324625

I believe he also wrote an article about training twice per day which, apparently, worked very well for some people.

IMO, though, I would start with a simple 3 day / week routine.