Thread: 50 More Things I've learned by Maki Riddington - Jan 14th 2007

Hybrid View

50 More Things I've learned by Maki Riddington - Jan 14th 2007

Maki shares what he learned in 2006 so that you apply this knowledge to make 2007 your most successful year!

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=289

Enjoy!

Daniel
    Last edited by Joe Black; 01-14-2007 at 01:15 PM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? Ė My Training Journal

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    Thanks Maki - a fun and good read.

Soft tissue health, eh? What can I do for this and why is it so important?

Happy New Year
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

Weaker
    I apologise, but what's a dynamic day?
    Journal

BW: 12st/1168lbs
    Height: 5'9"
    Big hiatus, deciding on new goals...

Quote Originally Posted by Portboy View Post
    I apologise, but what's a dynamic day?
    A day where you incorperate movements that work on producing force with small amounts of weight. For example, if you bench press heavy one day a week, throwing in a day where you do things like plyo push ups, med ball chest passes or another bench press day (where you use 60% or less of your 1RM) can be categorized as a dynamic (speed) day.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Steady View Post

Soft tissue health, eh? What can I do for this and why is it so important?
    You can read up on it a bit more here: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=285

For people who like to bench press soft tissue work tends to be a very important habit to form to maintain optimal health of the surrounding soft tissues of the shoulder complex.

When bench pressing you are placing the shoulder into extreme internal rotation. If you already have strength imbalances present (most people do betweeen the internal external rotators), scar tissue build up, shoulder tightness then exercises like the bench press exacerbate the current state of the shoulder complex. At some point injury will occur.

To offset this and save yourself from pain and possibly injury, do some soft tissue work on the internal rotators.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Great article, Maki. You've definitely come along way!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Great article, Maki. You've definitely come along way!
    Great article. In fact, all of this month's articles are excellent. I loved a lot of your ideas, and specifically you made me realize I need to focus even more on soft tissue work, flexibility, and variation in my workouts. Also, I like that swiss ball filled with water idea. Only thing is I'd want to do it outside in case it breaks!

Thanks again for the good reads.
    I'm glad you guys enjoyed the article. It's amazing what you learn in a short amount of time when you really apply yourself. Of course at the same time, I know that I have a ton more to learn. It's a life long journey for the quest of infinite knowledge.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Maki,

Great article. In fact, all of this month's articles are excellent. I loved a lot of your ideas, and specifically you made me realize I need to focus even more on soft tissue work, flexibility, and variation in my workouts. Also, I like that swiss ball filled with water idea. Only thing is I'd want to do it outside in case it breaks!

Thanks again for the good reads.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

30. Females tend to be quad-dominant, and they donít use their butts all that much.

As promised in our email conversation last week, a link about problems women face because of quad dominance.

"The balance of muscle power and the recruitment pattern between the quadriceps and hamstrings is crucial to knee stability. Research shows that female athletes tend to have quadriceps to hamstrings muscle imbalances -- with the quadriceps as the dominating knee stability muscle. On the other hand, men have a better balance between quadriceps and hamstrings. They engage the hamstrings first when performing a movement, which actually decreases stress on the ACL. Therefore, the stability of the knee is more quadriceps-dominant (an ACL antagonist) in females and more hamstrings-dominant (an ACL agonist) in men (2,5,6,9,12,13,14,16).
    Men and women engaging in the same activity with similar intensity put equal twisting and loading forces on the knee joint (11). Twisting, cutting and landing movements all stress the ACL to provide stability. As the quadriceps contract, additional stress is put on the ACL, increasing the risk of injury."

- ACL and the Female Athlete: Theoretical Causes and Prevention, Stephanie Vlach, M.S., Manager, Fitness Education for the Life Fitness Academy

Ladies, work those hammies!

Recommending caffeine? I was told it is really bad for you. But hey, if you give it the go ahead back to coffee i go!
    inspirational quote: anything muhammad ali ever said

shoulder rehabbing with a vengeance

[QUOTE=Built;1592740]30. Females tend to be quad-dominant, and they donít use their butts all that much.

Science aside, I see more cases of instability in the hips than I do a hamstring/quad imbalance in females.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

From a sports performance perspective it works wonders.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member
    i like the swiss ball with half water... i may try that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by cassio View Post
    i like the swiss ball with half water... i may try that one out.

It's an awesome tool that I use in my outdoor boot camps.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member
    I have a question about one of the "80 things Ive learned". It says to use a good protein, creatine, and thermogenic.

What is a thermogenic and what are good ones to use? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sweitz View Post
    I have a question about one of the "80 things Ive learned". It says to use a good protein, creatine, and thermogenic.

What is a thermogenic and what are good ones to use? thanks
    A thermogenic is a product that temporarily increases your bodies metabolism. The supplement market is saturated with them. If you would like a reputable product from a great company look here: http://atlargenutrition.com/nutritio...?products_id=4
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

wow great stuff.. thanks for the insights.

If it wasn't for my protein shake, i wouldn't be able to catch this thread. haha

Wannabebig New Member
    Very interesting article, great read