The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I just noticed this question now.

What exactly is your concern about warming up a little for your HIIT with SS cardio?

Weaker
    No worries.

No concern i was just wondering if there would be a bad result if i went straight to the HIIT, but now i think about it i see that SS cardio would actually be better to start with!

Sorry, when i wrote that question i was in one of my annual 'panic about training and try and fix things that aren't actually broken' phases.

Thankyou, again!
    Journal

BW: 12st/1168lbs
    Height: 5'9"
    Big hiatus, deciding on new goals...

Wannabebig Member
    im loving this info

I'm a little confused in the beginning of your article you state that cardio can help with muscle growth. Is this all cardio or just certain types? Basically I want to do some cardio that will benefit me in the weight room. I'm not looking to lose weight, just want some cardio that will help me get stronger. I forgot to add with I read the article it sounds like HILL training will do what I'm looking for but not sure. I want to be sure that I know what I'm doing before doing it.
    Last edited by method115; 09-21-2007 at 05:05 PM.

Food helps you grow. If you eat enough to compensate for a little deficit from cardio, it certainly won't hurt your gains.

My reasoning from a muscle-gain perspective was along the lines that because it increases capillary density, you'll have better flow of nutrients to, and better removal of waste products FROM working muscles. Increasing lactate clearance means you can work harder, longer - useful on a bulk, don't you think?

Ah ok I understand now I figured that if i ate enough I would be ok but I wanted to be sure. Thanks for the clarification.

Don't go crazy with the cardio unless you love it, there's no need - although HIIT and or a little SS cardio a few times a week won't hinder your gains.

Now, there's another way a little well-placed cardio can help your muscles grow: after a carby meal, go for a walk or a moderate cycle for 10-20 minutes - not only does this serve as active recovery, but the moderate intensity contractions can actually help translocate GLUT4 (transporters) to the cells' surface, encouraging the delivery of much-needed glucose into your muscle cells.

That's right kids - a walk after dinner really IS good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Don't go crazy with the cardio unless you love it, there's no need - although HIIT and or a little SS cardio a few times a week won't hinder your gains.

Now, there's another way a little well-placed cardio can help your muscles grow: after a carby meal, go for a walk or a moderate cycle for 10-20 minutes - not only does this serve as active recovery, but the moderate intensity contractions can actually help translocate GLUT4 (transporters) to the cells' surface, encouraging the delivery of much-needed glucose into your muscle cells.

That's right kids - a walk after dinner really IS good for you.

heh thats cool me my gf will probably do this a nice activity and i can get my daughter involved to.

great article

A++ Lovin this article. Definetly goin in my favorites !!

Phenominal article! Really, really enjoyed it. It's got great real-life application which makes it an interesting read. When I was in school going for my physical education degree, I wish more instruction was related to real life situations. Great job.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    If for HIIT traınıng, I were to do a weıghtlıftıng move say squats but not as tabata traınıng, would thıs be ok?