Thread: I eat nothing and still don't lose weight.

I eat nothing and still don't lose weight.

I work out all the time. I eat very little 6 times a day with alot of water and vitamins. I do not drop any weight, I'm stuck at 288. So I take the weekend off for the diet and eat and drink whatever I please and I'm still 288. I didn't gain any back. I just don't get it. Can someone offer up some advice?

Quote Originally Posted by ViciousBish View Post
    I work out all the time. I eat very little 6 times a day with alot of water and vitamins. I do not drop any weight, I'm stuck at 288. So I take the weekend off for the diet and eat and drink whatever I please and I'm still 288. I didn't gain any back. I just don't get it. Can someone offer up some advice?
    Sounds like you're starving yourself during the week and maybe losing a bit of weight, then pigging out on the weekend and cancelling out your losses. Seems obvious to me. Also depends on what time of day you weigh yourself. Do it first thing in the morning after your piss.
    DL 365x2
    Bench 275x2
    Squat 285x4

Wannabebig Member
    you may be eating too little causing ur metabolism to slow down a lot. also are u working out/ exercising?

I workout a lot

I "was" getting tired... 40 Nunc's Avatar
    What's your target weight? Calorie intake?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NewGuy2008 View Post
    you may be eating too little causing ur metabolism to slow down a lot. also are u working out/ exercising?

target weight so far is 265. My calorie intake, I don't know what it should be, but I work out too much to limit it a whole lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ViciousBish View Post
    I workout a lot
    "A lot" for some people is 30 minutes/week.

what kind of diet are you trying to follow? The basic below maintenance cal....5g/fat, etc? If that isn't working, which it should if you stay consistent with it, try carb cycling.

It might seem counterintuitive, but you need to eat more often in order to lose weight. Especially, eating breakfast in the morning is important to jump start your metabolism. If you don't eat your body will slow down it's metabolism drastically in order to conserve energy, thus you will burn fewer calories. It also matters WHAT you are putting into your body. If you are eating high GI carbs when you gorge yourself you will quickly saturate your bloodstream with glucose and anything above your maximum glycogen stores will be stored as fat. Plus, carbs will often cause you to retain water more easily, so you'll feel bloated.

If you want to lose weight, start eating more frequently (5-6 small meals a day spread throughout the day), make sure you get protein in each meal along with some sort of fruit or veggie, drop anything with too many high GI carbs (eliminating carbonated drinks or foods with high fructose corn syrup is one easy way to do this), and lift heavy. Don't do too much steady state cardio because you will burn as much muscle as fat. You need to lift heavy to convince your body to maintain and increase muscle mass. Increase that lean muscle mass and you'll burn more calories even just standing still.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    It might seem counterintuitive, but you need to eat more often in order to lose weight. Especially, eating breakfast in the morning is important to jump start your metabolism. If you don't eat your body will slow down it's metabolism drastically in order to conserve energy, thus you will burn fewer calories. It also matters WHAT you are putting into your body. If you are eating high GI carbs when you gorge yourself you will quickly saturate your bloodstream with glucose and anything above your maximum glycogen stores will be stored as fat. Plus, carbs will often cause you to retain water more easily, so you'll feel bloated.

If you want to lose weight, start eating more frequently (5-6 small meals a day spread throughout the day), make sure you get protein in each meal along with some sort of fruit or veggie, drop anything with too many high GI carbs (eliminating carbonated drinks or foods with high fructose corn syrup is one easy way to do this), and lift heavy. Don't do too much steady state cardio because you will burn as much muscle as fat. You need to lift heavy to convince your body to maintain and increase muscle mass. Increase that lean muscle mass and you'll burn more calories even just standing still.
    Guido, not to sound like a dick, but hasn't this all been proven false? Eating more frequently isn't going to change your metabolism. It doesn't matter if you eat 12 meals a day or 1, as long as calories are the same it makes no difference. At least that's what Built and Slim are telling me.

Bish, do you have a breakdown of how many calories, carbs, protein and fat you are eating on average? Scission may be right in that you are destroying your defecit by over-cheating on the weekends. I did that for a long time before I wised up, now the pounds are flying off. Look at average calories, and look into carb-loading as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post

eating too little can lower your set point and cause you to actually gain weight

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    Guido, not to sound like a dick, but hasn't this all been proven false? Eating more frequently isn't going to change your metabolism. It doesn't matter if you eat 12 meals a day or 1, as long as calories are the same it makes no difference. At least that's what Built and Slim are telling me.

Bish, do you have a breakdown of how many calories, carbs, protein and fat you are eating on average? Scission may be right in that you are destroying your defecit by over-cheating on the weekends. I did that for a long time before I wised up, now the pounds are flying off. Look at average calories, and look into carb-loading as well.
    The point in more meals is to keep the insulin levels relatively even and to not have peaks and valleys.

Obviously the "meals" are supposed to be relatively small. I've done very well on 3 main meals and 3 snacks when dieting. From 286 to 231 last year to get ready for a contest and I've used it in the past with similiar successes.

You really can't take what people say on dieting as gospel. Just because this worked for me doesn't mean it's going to work for the OP. My diet has taken alot of tinkering and trial and error. The small, well balanced "meals" through the day keeps people from getting over hungry and it's easy to follow as a baseline.

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post

The studies agree with slim and built. The studies have tried numerous meals to as little as 2-3 and the difference was negligible.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

Why would frequency matter? At the end of the day if your calories are below requirement you would lose weight. Meal frequency has little effect on thermogenesis from my understanding. You're not counting your calories or you're ball parking and estimating them completely wrong. Your metabo will never hit a point where you will no longer lose weight so long as your calories are in check. Right?
    Overcome.

gotta eat alot of smaller meals to keep that metabalism up....if you don't eat ANYTHING your body will save every damn thing it can get in it.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Quote Originally Posted by Eszekial View Post
    The studies agree with slim and built. The studies have tried numerous meals to as little as 2-3 and the difference was negligible.
    Holy ****, look who it is.

Quote Originally Posted by thewicked View Post
    gotta eat alot of smaller meals to keep that metabalism up....if you don't eat ANYTHING your body will save every damn thing it can get in it.
    No.

and actually, intermittent fasting proved to increase insulin sensitivity.. testing was via muscle biopsy to confirm this..

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/99/6/2128 - full study

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/for...ittent+fasting - long discussion regarding IF
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Wannabebig Member
    You are starving yourself. I really don't understand why people think you need to only eat leafy green salad (which I'm not knocking, I love salad) or nothing at all to lose weight. People just need to realize that IT TAKES TIME AND EFFORT TO LOSE WEIGHT. I lost an incredible amount of weight this past year, but I did come back from college and gained a majority of it back, now I'm working on losing it for good. The secret to my success was eat three solid meals with lots of variety and then snack on something small (one hot pocket, baby carrots or something) between breakfast and dinner. With this diet and 30-45 minutes a day of cardio and a bit of weight lifting I went from 270 down to 237 within 6 weeks.

Of course I played a lot of basketball (2-3 full court games a night) and every Wed. the college put on a weekly dodgeball game, I loved it and it kept me amazingly active. As long as you keep active somehow you will be fine. I also got and what I got served was mint food (I went to the Culinary Institute of America). My normal dinner was a three course meal with a small portioned appetizer (best was a green, yellow, and red tomato separated by three cuts of different mozzarella cheeses). Next they would bring out your main dinner (while you wait they bring breads) and finally after dinner a small dessert (Guinness Sorbet anyone?)

But like I said I left the CIA (food was amazing, but the school was just like a boot camp) and came back home and my mama's cooking got to me again and reminded me why I never lost weight in high school. Now I'm in the process of losing it all again.
    Last edited by AiCPearlJamWeen; 07-24-2008 at 10:14 AM.

The thing with dieting, either be it intermittent fasting or high frequency meals, is that they both work. They both can work. Not that one is better for somebody than another in terms of science but how well motivated people are in regards to what they're doing. I couldn't do IF just because I love to eat too much. I chose more frequent meals because I can stick to it. It works in regard to what motivates that particular individual.

Yeah, there's science to show that IF works and that you aren't required to eat 6 times a day to maintain your metabolism. Again it boils down to what you can do and what you can stick with. Either will work if applied correctly, consistently, and over enough time to actually produce results.

To the OP, track what you're eating. Know how many calories, how much protein, etc. If you aren't losing weight, then you're doing something wrong and if you can't provide us with any more enough than, "I workout a lot," then we can't help you.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Delaying teh inevitable essentialherb08's Avatar
    Go into ketosis and mega dose Omega 3 6 and 9 Fatty acids but make sure you get a supplement with a balanced ratio of the 3 like Udo's Oil or Hemp Oil. I prefer the hemp oil. I lost 40 pounds plus of fat with this method between the months of March and June. Went from 200+ to 150 and really didnt do much cardio or lifting to tell you the truth.
    Your test will become your testament
    Your mess will become your message
    I rock the Hemp Oil each and every day
    19yrs 5'10ish around 160 lbs in June 180 as of Sept.

An autistic stoned avengers vendetta against culture induced nutrition deficiencies

Acts 5:39"But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God."

i think many people recommend eating smaller meals more frequently rather than 1 big meal even if at the end of the day the calories are the same because i doubt many people can stomach all the food for the day in 1 meal. plus it is a lot easier to eat throughout the day to keep yourself somewhat satisfied, rather than to be hungry and overeat at the next meal. either way, as long as cals are there, frequency doesn't matter, it all boils down to convenience.

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse