Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to do cardio if you MUST! by MariAnne Anderson - Jan 14th 2007

Hybrid View

How to do cardio if you MUST! by MariAnne Anderson - Jan 14th 2007

Its no secret, MariAnne hates cardio.. Ok, ok... But you feel you MUST do it? MariAnne puts you on the right track to get the best results from your cardio-vascular exercise.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=292

Enjoy!

Daniel
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

About time someone got the facts straight on cardio!
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

I've added a set of five rowing machine sprints (all out for 30 seconds, rest for 30) after each of my sessions. In just two weeks my endurance has skyrocketed but I'm wondering if it will be detrimental in the long run? I'm aiming for a slow gain in strength and a big improvement to overall athletic conditioning (bearing in mind I can't run because of my deformity).
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer View Post
    I've added a set of five rowing machine sprints (all out for 30 seconds, rest for 30) after each of my sessions. In just two weeks my endurance has skyrocketed but I'm wondering if it will be detrimental in the long run? I'm aiming for a slow gain in strength and a big improvement to overall athletic conditioning (bearing in mind I can't run because of my deformity).
    The great thing about HIIT is that it has very little impact on overall strength/muscle gains. It might be a different story if you were an elite weightlifter or powerlifter, but for the goals you described, you're on the right path.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Read the article last night.....Great info!! once again a very well put together article by BUILT. Cant wait to start doing sprints to get my endurance up. If I can get my breathing up, heart rate down, with minimal strengh losses and with minimal time on the treadmills I will be happy.
    God created liquor to keep the Irish from conquering the world.

Very nice info and variations!

I love HIIT. All the benefits of fat loss and increased endurance without all the time commitment. A great thing when you want to spend more time focused on building STRENGTH.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Great article Built. I am planning a routine for my girlfriend to loose weight and this article helped out tons for figuring out the cardio part. Keep up the good work!

Wow great article thanks Built. This is exactly the information I needed to incorporate cardio in my routine.
    Long signatures SUCK.

~Nico

Built, I would like to add some cardio into the routine, especially some HIIT. The routine is as follows:

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Standing military press
    3x5 Pendlay Rows

Since my girlfriends goal is lose fat I really want to add in some cardio, but I am afraid HIIT would hurt recovery on a full body routine. Especially since HIIT is quite the leg workout and she squats three times a week. What exactly would your recommendations be for cardio and fat loss when it comes to such a routine? I really don't want to change the routine because we've been doing it for a couple weeks already, but I really want to start incorporating some more cardio. Right now we only do about 10 minutes of jogging on the treadmill after lifting. Just let me know what you think the ideal training routine would be.
    Last edited by KoolDrew; 02-13-2007 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KoolDrew View Post
    Built, I would like to add some cardio into the routine, especially some HIIT. The routine is as follows:

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Standing military press
    3x5 Pendlay Rows

Since my girlfriends goal is lose fat I really want to add in some cardio, but I am afraid HIIT would hurt recovery on a full body routine. Especially since HIIT is quite the leg workout and she squats three times a week. What exactly would your recommendations be for cardio and fat loss when it comes to such a routine? I really don't want to change the routine because we've been doing it for a couple weeks already, but I really want to start incorporating some more cardio. Right now we only do about 10 minutes of jogging on the treadmill after lifting. Just let me know what you think the ideal training routine would be.
    Hey, Kooldrew,

I've been doing Squats 3 times per week for a long time. Love 'em. Can't get enough of 'em. FWIW though, here's how I work HIIT into my schedule. On Friday, instead of the usual 3x5 heavy back squats, I do either front squats or overhead squats with significantly lower weight. That way I still get a decent squat workout and don't feel guilty for "skipping" but I'm able to save some strength for a good HIIT workout on Saturday. Then I sit on my butt and chill with the kids all day Sunday so I'll be fresh for the upcoming week.

Just a thought. Built and Anthony [and about a thousand others on this board] are a lot smarter at this stuff than I am, but I've been in this boat so thought I'd chime in.

Good luck.

Wow. Squats three times a week.

Cool! Okay, a few questions:

1. Is she new to lifting, or has she been at it for a while?
    2. How much does she squat?
    3. What macros (calories etc) do you have her running for this?
    4. how heavy is she? How much weight does she have to lose?
    5. Has she done any cardio in the past? What kind of cardiovascular shape is she in.

I'm sure I'll think of others, but these are basic before I go anywhere near a recommendation for HIIT.

Wow. Squats three times a week.
    Is that a bad thing?

She just started the routine (it's the same routine I'm using) and she doesn't even know how to squat properly yet. As for diet, that's something we are slowly working our way into. She is around 152 pounds and is not in very good cardiovascular shape.

Nothing wrong with squats three times a week - it's a natural movement.

That being said, it's the movement I've had the most trouble with. Go figure.

If she's comfortable training the same way as you, at least she'll have plenty of practice with squats. You might consider goblet squats to help her get her form. Please be sure to start her light. If it's at all helpful to know, when I started lifting, it took me three months to squat the bar, and a year to squat my weight. I'm sure I could have hit these goals faster if I had someone working with me, but I got there, eventually.

My feeling is that the time to work on an endurance base is at the beginning of a cut. As the cut progresses, perhaps ease back a little on the steady state in favour of shorter, more intense cardio - increased capillary and mitochondrial density surely won't be a hardship by the time she gets to HIIT!

Since she's not in very good cardiovascular shape at the moment, and she's still a little heavy (? - not sure how tall she is), I wouldn't suggest HIIT just yet. You mentioned jogging - I'm not a fan of jogging - particularly while a little heavy. It can be a lot of pounding - although she may be fine with it.

Perhaps get her used to doing a little fast incline walking or some other moderate-intensity cardio after her workouts for a bit - say, 10-20 minutes at 3-3.5 mph and say a 5% grade.

From here I'd start easing her into hill repeats once a week, on a non-training day. As her cardio base improves and her weight drops, she can start working into some intervals - but they're pretty advanced - I can't imagine doing them while I was still plump.

The biggest part of this is, of course diet. She'll need to get that one figured out if she intends to achieve and maintain her physique goals.

Any of this help?

Beatlesfreak, it's a good thought, and something kool's gf can look into as her fitness level increases. My main concern here is to not rush her into something she's not ready for.

Have you considered doing HIIT on one of your squat days?

Buil, well now you got me all paranoid about muscles loss and crap! Damn you!

Anyway, come off season I will be doing some very heavy preseason work for rowing.

Something in the vincinity of extremely high intense cardio pretty much every day, sometimes twice, any were from 22 minutes to an hour of steady state high heart rate cardio.

This gonne mess me up big time?

I was thinking of one heavy heavy session, one rowing motion specific, and a moderate intensity weight program.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 02-21-2007 at 04:23 AM.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Buil, well now you got me all paranoid about muscles loss and crap! Damn you!

Anyway, come off season I will be doing some very heavy preseason work for rowing.

Something in the vincinity of extremely high intense cardio pretty much every day, sometimes twice, any were from 22 minutes to an hour of steady state high heart rate cardio.

This gonne mess me up big time?

I was thinking of one heavy heavy session, one rowing motion specific, and a moderate intensity weight program.

Any thoughts?
    Weight training isn't programmed by your rowing coach?

Given the volume of work you'd be undertaking, you might need to drop back to two sessions/week, or even just one maximal session, while that's going on, and stay in a maintenance zone (no PR chasing).

Keep the cals up too; you'll need it with all that activity.
    Last edited by PowerManDL; 02-22-2007 at 05:10 AM.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Fuzzy, I honestly don't know how this volume of activity will affect a young man.

My laziness is legendary; my whole focus in this article was "how to do as little as possible, but still get an effect". You're asking me questions that are waaaaay beyond the scope of my knowledge base.

Perhaps ask your rowing coach?

Ok, let me explain the current situation with me and the head rowing coach.

He does not alow squatting, nothing under 8 reps, I basically cant do anything worthwhile in that useless fancy machine layden junkyard with little rich prissys pushing it to failure every single set screaming like a dying pig.

Grrr... dont get me started.

The long and short of it, I do not lift weights in the school gym, I do not listen to him when it comes to weight training. I lift wieghts at another gym, and do my ergo-rower training at the school one. Now, Im not going to argue with him, he knows how to train us with the rowers, just not with the weights.... god the man is so stupid it kills me.

Anyway, back to me!

Now, my workload has been pretty much about 75% of my propsed preseason over these past few months, though alot more of it is technique and boat work rather then pure fitness stuff.

However, I have a big calorie intake, 5000 to 6000 cals a day. I eat alot. Also, I consitently hit new PRs lifting heavy 3 times a week.

My point is... I think I may answer my own question here, but I think I can simply put my faith in my good ol' teenage body, slog myself, lift hard, eat more than the average family combined, and just go with it.

I realised a while back to just not worry so much, lift compounds, limit concentration, and just do it.

Thanks.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Fuzzy, it sounds to me like you know your capabilities pretty darned well. Let us know how your approach works out for you. Meanwhile, look up some of the people in the industry who do sport-specific coaching, read what they have to say, hell - fire off an email and ask a question. The worst that can happen is they don't respond.

Off the top of my head, you could start by looking for articles written by people like Tim Skwiat (http://www.train4thegame.com), Mike Robertson (www.RobertsonTrainingSystems.com), or my secret crush Eric Cressey (http://www.ericcressey.com). And don't stop there! Once you've exhausted what you can find by reading, if you decide to follow up with an email, be direct and brief in your inquiry - it'll improve your chance at actually getting a response from these busy professionals.

Good luck!

I enter the preseason phase April 1, day after my final race.

Ill let you know by the end of the month, for now... Im gonna go do a ****load of research.

Thanks.

Weaker
    I suppose there's no way to side-step having todo SS cardio before starting HIIT?

Basically the downsides described for cardio have got me a bit concerned. I want to be faster and not run for 2mins and be out of breath! But i don't want the conversion of fast twitch to slow twitch.
    Journal

BW: 12st/1168lbs
    Height: 5'9"
    Big hiatus, deciding on new goals...