Thread: How to lose weight as a pl

How to lose weight as a pl

I have added in a bunch of walking I started off with just over a mile for a few days about 4x a wk along with my training.

I jumped it up to 40- 47 min of walking which is 2.8 miles to 3.6 miles depending on the pace,

I also do some stick twist, mt climbers and jumping jacks

I do not want to lose strength as things in the gym are going real good, maybe because I am getting fater

I have gained 1 lb since I started doing this.

should I walk every day, or do some high intensity stuff whats the answer?

My diet is not good but better than some, I am going to clean it up a bit.

Thanks
    Last edited by Jason198; 03-14-2009 at 12:36 PM.

Wannabebig New Member
    Here is what I did to lose fat and what I still do to keep myself from becoming a total mess. Clean up the diet alot. This takes some getting used to. I still allowed one cheat meal per week. Same day every week. This kept me from losing it. Depending on the day and weather, I would walk,row,or drag a sled. Hope this helps.

Walking won't do anything for your weight loss (nothing of substance). You need to control your caloric intake.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Thanks guys, that sucks about the walking I have been doing a lot of it! I was trying to burn around 200-300 calories and cut out 300-500 calories a day.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Walking won't do anything for your weight loss (nothing of substance). You need to control your caloric intake.
    Exactly!

I took a long break from lifting and i was at 240+ and in a few months came down to 178 by eliminating all crappy stuff from my diet...been watching my calories and protein intake very careful since starting my training almost 4 months ago and im up to 190-192 with a 33.75in waist from 178 with a 35.5 waist..and the most cardio I have ever done in the last 4 months was today doing dumbell swings...(well i do walk to the gym but crossing the street doesnt count as cardio..LOL) replacing all that Pepsi and Mt Dew with water can do wonders!
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

Keep the walking in the plan since it will help with your overall health and usually isn't high intensity enough to negatively affect strength gains. I just feel better when I maintain some degree of cardiovascular conditioning, even if I don't lose a pound.
    Chris is right about the weight loss. Walking doesn't burn enough calories to make a big difference. It's simply way too easy to eat 200-300 calories to cancel out what you burned. Keep the walking and clean up the diet and the weight loss will come.

One of the things that I've found works really well is just dialing back my carbs (after my post workout meal that has lots of carbs in it) during the evening and then no carbs after dinner.

Cleaning up your snacking works pretty well also.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Walking will help if your stepping at a decent pace. I've been walking to cut down a class(198 to 181). My diet is already pretty clean so with a little calorie cutting and 40 min walks 3x a week, I'm down 12lbs from 205 and no loss of strength. I wouldn't expect a dramatic loss of weight though from walking(20 or less slowly so not to affect your strength).
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Get label conscious. Stay away from things with high fructose corn syrup. Keep the sugars down. Look for 100% whole wheat products. Drink water or crystal light if necessary. Stay away from bad fats. You have gotten lots of solid easy advice in this thread. Just soak it all in. These changes won't be difficult. Good luck.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Chris, When I cut I always add about 30min of walking in a day sometimes twice a day. For me it really helps (maybe it's in my head). between that and cleaning up the diet I can shed pounds pretty quick. If nothing else the walking is good for you.
    pain is inevitable suffering is optional

www.ryanopower.com

http://www.prowriststraps.com

Dr. Dudley-Robey DrDudley-Robey's Avatar
    Make sure you are getting enough fiber in your diet. Most people are not and that can help clean out th pipes a bit, make you feel full faster and drop weight.

Another old trick is to drink a glass of water before meals again so you feel full faster.
    Edward G. Dudley-Robey, M.D.
    www.DoctorBench.com

Whether or not you walk or swim or run or whatever doesn't really make a difference in terms of weight loss unless you are eating fewer calories than you burn in a day. Walking is great for you, but if you really want to loose weight figure out your maintainence calories (how much you burn in a day) and then eat ~10% fewer calories than you need. If you burn 200 calories walking that just means you can eat ~200 more calories and still get you 10%less for the day. If you want to stay strong the best thing to do is lift heavy and eat plenty of protein and sufficient amounts of fat (carbs are pretty expendable with the exception of before and after a workout). I am not much of an expert, but that has always worked well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    One of the things that I've found works really well is just dialing back my carbs (after my post workout meal that has lots of carbs in it) during the evening and then no carbs after dinner.

This is what I do when weight sneaks up...starchy carbs early in the day and around workouts.....cut them out later half of the day and add more fibrous.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDudley-Robey View Post
    Make sure you are getting enough fiber in your diet. Most people are not and that can help clean out th pipes a bit, make you feel full faster and drop weight.

Another old trick is to drink a glass of water before meals again so you feel full faster.
    Exactly....I try to get in at least 30 grams of fiber a day when I am trying to lose because it does help a lot to keep things moving...LOL

Plenty of water ....4-5 liters a day.

What is your favorite food to maximize your fiber intake? I.e., the food that is the most bang for your buck for fiber?

Quote Originally Posted by teeroy View Post
    What is your favorite food to maximize your fiber intake? I.e., the food that is the most bang for your buck for fiber?

Here is a list I found online that you can use to start with...you can do a search yourself ...plus just check the labels on foods and off course beans, fibrous veggies, apples etc. are high on fiber.

A list of high fiber foods helps you know which foods to include in daily meal planning. Obtaining adequate fiber is an important part of a healthy lifestyle. However, too many people do not obtain sufficient fiber each day, which results in poor bowel function and constipation. Whether obtained from the list of high fiber foods or from fiber supplements, the recommended daily fiber consumption should be about 25-30 grams for an adult. The typical adult in the USA averages about 11 grams of fiber per day according to the American Dietetic Association.

The walls of plant cells are the sources of dietary fiber. Here are typical high fiber foods along with the approximate number of grams of fiber they contain. Fiber contents shown below on the list of high fiber foods are for a food quantity of 1/2 cup unless otherwise noted:

Bananas, 3 grams - medium 8" long

Beans, 6-10 grams - baked beans, black beans, great northern beans, kidney beans, garbanzos, pinto beans, white beans

Berries, 4-5 grams - blackberries, raspberries

Bran Cereals, 5-10 grams - All-Bran, Bran Buds, 100% Bran, Raisin Bran

Bread, 4-7 grams - 2 slices whole wheat, pumpernickel, seven-grain

Broccoli, 4-5 grams

Brussels Sprouts, 2 grams

Carrots, 3-4 grams

Dried Figs, 10 grams - 3 figs

Fruit, 4 grams - medium apple, medium pear

Green Beans, 2 grams - broad beans, pole beans, snap beans

Greens, 4-6 grams - beet greens, collards, kale, spinach, turnip greens

Lentils, 6 grams

Lima Beans - 4-6 grams

Peas, 7-9 grams - black-eyed peas, green peas

Potatoes, 4-5 grams - medium baked Idaho or sweet potato

Sweet Corn, 5 grams

Using the list of high fiber foods and including more of the foods from the list can help increase daily fiber consumption so important for normal bowel function. Also important is that adequate liquid be present for good bowel function. Each fiber particle will actually absorb liquid in the colon and help facilitate the desired regular movement along in the bowels.

If you make changes to your diet to include more of the foods from the list of high fiber foods and still are not having a daily bowel movement, you may wish to add a fiber supplement. The best fiber supplements are rice bran or psyllium made from ground-up psyllium seeds. Don't expect to notice better bowel movements overnight as it may take several weeks for your body and elimination system to improve. The payoff will be that wastes are eliminated along with the toxins from your system instead of your body reabsorbing them.

also this:
    The Top Twenty Fiber Foods
    This list can serve as a general guide. For more specific calorie and fiber content of particular foods, to estimate your daily and weekly quotas, refer to the alphabetical chart that follows:
    1. Dried beans, peas, and other legumes
    This includes baked beans, kidney beans, split peas, dried limas, garbanzos, pinto beans and black beans.
    2. Bran cereals
    Topping this list are Bran Buds and All-Bran, but 100% Bran, Raisin Bran, Most and Cracklin' Bran are also excellent sources.
    3. Fresh or frozen lima beans, both Fordhook and baby limas
    4. Fresh or frozen green peas
    5. Dried fruit, topped by figs, apricots and dates
    6. Raspberries, blackberries and strawberries
    7. Sweet corn, whether on the cob or cut off in kernels
    8. Whole-wheat and other whole-grain cereal products.
    Rye, oats, buckwheat and stone-ground cornmeal are all high in fiber. Bread, pastas, pizzas, pancakes and muffins made with whole-grain flours.
    9. Broccoli-very high in fiber!
    10. Baked potato with the skin
    (The skin when crisp is the best part for fiber.) Mashed and boiled potatoes are good, too-but not french fries, which contain a high percentage of fat.
    11. Green snap beans, pole beans, and broad beans
    (These are packaged frozen as Italian beans, in Europe they are known as haricot or french beans.)
    12. Plums, pears, and apples
    The skin is edible, and are all high in pectin.
    13. Raisins and prunes
    Not as high on the list as other dried fruits (see #5) but very valuable.
    14. Greens
    Including spinach, beet greens, kale, collards, swiss chard and turnip greens.
    15. Nuts
    Especially almonds, Brazil nuts, peanuts, and walnuts (Consume these sparingly, because of their high fat content.).
    16. Cherries
    17. Bananas
    18. Carrots
    19. Coconut
    (dried or fresh-but both are high in fat content).
    20. Brussels sprouts
    Last edited by Donnajo; 03-15-2009 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post

I agree. Doing this alone, with nothing else, will provide results.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

It's good someone made this thread, because I am looking to lose some serious weight. I wouldn't mind dropping 15-20lbs of fat.

I have started doing intervals twice a week. I put the treadmill on manual mode and do 5 invervals with a 30 second sprint and 4 min rest. Im not going to swear by them alone without diet but I'm sure it can help.

Once again thanks for all the input. Very helpful.

I think you can cycle your carbs. You want a calorie surplus on your heaviest training days. That will help you maintain strength. You want to be even on calories on lighter or less intense training days. Then you want a calorie deficit on your off days. I manipulate my protein shake contents to do it.

February was a bad month in terms of eating. I ate alot of junk food, sweets. My weight didn't change but my lifting belt and pants got very tight. I cut out the crap, 1-2 cheat snacks a week (frozen yogurt, yummy) and my weight has stayed the same, but my lifting belt and pants now fit more loosely. I'll have to adjust my lifting belt one notch in. I don't mind being this heavy (257 at 6'), it's just the extra fat that I don't particularly like.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Wannabebig Member
    Take a huge poop. As PL'er thats going to drop at least 5 lbs.

I wasn't going to go there.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Just a little side note that I learned last week you need to burn 3500 calories to lose one pound. I just got done reading Power Eating Second Edition by Susan Kleiner. Its a really good book right now Im adjusting to some of principles in the book and next month I will start to watch my calorie intake. IMOP it is worth checking out. Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Eating-S.../dp/0736038531