The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Strongman Competitions

I was wondering if anyone knows of any websites which show upcoming amatuer strongman comps. I have searched online but have yet to really find anything helpful. Looking for ones open to the public and for a novice to compete in, in or around southern Ontario, Canada. Any help would be appreciated.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

www.islandheroes.ca

Island Heroes Strongman Competition. It's held on Ward's Island in Toronto.

My friend Rob Dales runs it and competes. I've competed twice and it's good fun. Anyone can compete. In fact, he usually convinces a few spectators to join.

The next one will probably be in the summer.

EDIT: Looks like the website is down. If you are interested, PM me and I'll send you his email address.

EDIT 2: Looks like the website is back up.
    Last edited by DokterVet; 01-22-2007 at 09:48 PM.

You might ask in one of these forums. I haven't been to them in a while, but there usually are a lot of strongman competitors there.

The Anvil
    http://p207.ezboard.com/btheanvil88051

Diesel Power Forum
    http://p212.ezboard.com/bdieselpowerforum11034

Strength Discussion Board
    http://s9.invisionfree.com/Strength_Discussion/

Power and Bulk Forums
    http://powerandbulk.com/phpBB2/index.php
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Good question man! I was thinking the same thing
    Does anyone know the site for All Strength challenge? I couldn't find it and the one on OLN is useles...

Banned
    I'd love to compete in that, but I'm on the bubble. Farmers walk with 300 lbs total - my DL 1 RM is 300. The log press is with 130 lbs....I clean and press about 115 for reps. Do you think I could get my self up to par by August 19th?

NITOR PROJECT Guinea Pig Joshua Davis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    I'd love to compete in that, but I'm on the bubble. Farmers walk with 300 lbs total - my DL 1 RM is 300. The log press is with 130 lbs....I clean and press about 115 for reps. Do you think I could get my self up to par by August 19th?
    Gym lifts will not compare to your strongman events. I pull high-5's, but I can pick farmers at 330lbs/hand - The log you'll have to work on, but training a combination of dumbbell presses and barbell presses will get you ready.

The only way you'll know if you can do it, is if you go out there and do it. So... DO IT!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Davis View Post
    Gym lifts will not compare to your strongman events. I pull high-5's, but I can pick farmers at 330lbs/hand - The log you'll have to work on, but training a combination of dumbbell presses and barbell presses will get you ready.

The only way you'll know if you can do it, is if you go out there and do it. So... DO IT!
    Wait, you can do more with your farmers walk?? Maybe I should try to find a trap bar - that might compare better.
    I'm currently doing a 5x5, but I'm planning on working more on strength in a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll extend the strength training a little bit longer....

Awesome thanks for the info guys!
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

NITOR PROJECT Guinea Pig Joshua Davis's Avatar
    Almost anyone can do more with farmer's over conventional deadlifts. The weight is in line with your legs like a trap bar... and the ROM is usually nowhere near as long. However, using a trap bar won't work as well, because once you lock out your farmers, it becomes a grip event, and being a two-handed implement, trap bars won't work your grip as well as two seperate offset handles.

I remember reading somewhere that if you taped two hex dumbbells together, they would emulate a farmers fairly well. Basically stack a pair of 75's or more on top of each other, tape them or strap them together at the bells, and take them for a walk. I just own a couple pairs that I have had fabricated, personally.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Davis View Post
    Almost anyone can do more with farmer's over conventional deadlifts. The weight is in line with your legs like a trap bar... and the ROM is usually nowhere near as long. However, using a trap bar won't work as well, because once you lock out your farmers, it becomes a grip event, and being a two-handed implement, trap bars won't work your grip as well as two seperate offset handles.
    Yeah my grip isn't so good. I was doing deadlifts and I busted my shin open on the first set. I didn't want to bleed all over the bar, so I grabbed two bars and tried to deadlift one each hand. Mother of God! I was doing 15 lbs less and it felt so much harder!
    Maybe I'll start doing this after my regular DL workout, to improve grip and balance.

needing a tan BADLY PhilDownUnder's Avatar
    nice heads up on the other forums sensei - have to look a little deeper to see if there's anything worth while.

(originally i got sid to start this thread - figure about time to register so i can post for myself)

ta
    Last edited by PhilDownUnder; 01-22-2007 at 01:17 AM.
    "I eat everything, shekolate is my special diet - shekolate ice cream"
    ...body needs to catch up to hands...

Like the others said, you could probably get the farmer's walk implements up and moved a few metres. That's easily my worst event because my grip fails (I deadlift around 330 x 5).

You should be able to do the tire flip, but the log would be trouble. It is definitely more difficult than a barbell because of its shape. The first time I competed, my military press was 110 - 115 for reps, and I failed to press the log overhead. Last year I got 10 reps of the log in 3 minutes and my repping weight for military press at the time was probably somewhere around the 130s (I was in the middle of a cut at the time so I don't remember exactly without checking my journal.)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilDownUnder View Post
    nice heads up on the other forums sensei - have to look a little deeper to see if there's anything worth while.

(originally i got sid to start this thread - figure about time to register so i can post for myself)

ta
    HEY *******!!
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

needing a tan BADLY PhilDownUnder's Avatar
    hey bohizzle. i think you need to work on your lat spread!
    "I eat everything, shekolate is my special diet - shekolate ice cream"
    ...body needs to catch up to hands...