Thread: Hyperglycemia

Banned

Hyperglycemia

I've recently had a realisation that I may be diabetic. When I drink a glass of water, I'm running to the bathroom pretty quickly and then I'm also getting another glass of water. At first I thought it was funny (thirsty and peeing at the same time? My body's confused!), but now it's just damned annoying. I looked up some of the symptoms, which included blurry vision and weight loss. I've always assumed that, being a CS student, I'd have glasses by the time I graduated. My distance vision has recently started crapping out on me and I made no connection to diabetes at the time. Although I'm gaining weight, it takes me 3500-3750 calories / day to do so, but I only weigh 155 lbs!

Now this is the icing on the cake. I find that after working out I crash. I just figured that it was from, well, lifting weights and stuff. Here is what happened: I came home from the gym and grabed some Gatorade. I updated my journal while drinking my Gatorade. Then I did some reading for school (after going to the bathroom, of course) and about 15 minutes later I felt absoloutely dead. Like I need to sleep for 4 hours kind of tired.

I'm planning on getting my glucose levels checked by my GP soon. Until then, does anyone have any advice about my situation, or just information about this in general?

Type I diabetes run in your family? It would be very unusual for you to be type II at only 155 lbs.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

depending on how badly ur blood sugars are, u'll feel like **** a lot of the time. During first year of uni when i let my diabetes get out of control, i lost 25lbs despite eating more than I did on my last bulk. You'll feel tired alot, thirsty, and sometimes ur mouth will taste a bit like alcohol (ketones). Go to ur GP asap and get the bloodwork done. Drink a good amount of water, and try and cut carbs down except around workouts until you figure out what's going on. Personally I find that since oats take so long to digest for me when I take them with protein that it won't raise my blood sugar nearly as much as other carbs, even after 1-2 hours. Hope that helps. If you do end up being diagnosed at a type 1, don't worry too much, it's not as bad as some make it out to be, u'll just need to remember to do ur tests and take ur insulin, and u'll be fine.

Andrew

sorry bout the rant lol
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

Banned
    razorcut: Diabetes does run in my family. My grandfather is diabetic and was diagnosed at around my age Fortunately he didn't start taking insulin for a long time because he was very strict with his diet.

Thanks for the help. I don't feel like **** very often, but I would attribute it to eating well 99% of the time. Like I said, I found very odd when I crashed after drinking the Gatorade.

I'll be booking an appointement with my GP to get checked.

Yeah, all the symptoms do kinda point to diabetes, but try not to worry yourself over it.

What you should do is go for a fasted glucose test, or you could always do one yourself. If someone in your family is diabetic, try their fingerprick test kit and see what comes out. For a fasted test you need to have no eaten or drunk any calories for 12hrs before the test.

Best of luck!

Definately go get tested, but the fact that you eat healthy is going to work to your benefit in this. If you continue to eat healthy then the insulin probabably wont be as necessary as the fatass who eats a billion oreos a day!

Good luck, let us know what the doc says
    Stats:
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

Banned
    I feel fine today. I think I'm going to get the bloodwork done soon so I'll stop thinking about it. I just hate going to the doc and finding out it was for nothing. I mean it's good when it is nothing, I just feel like I've wasted their time.

It's always better to be safe than sorry. let us know when u find out.
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher