Thread: I've Hit a Wall

Wannabebig Member

I've Hit a Wall

Weight Lifting Question for anyone who is knowledgable in the area.?

I've been lifting for almost 4 years now. Im about 5'11 and 200 pounds and i'd estimate about 10-11% body fat. I do your standard, Bicep-back, chest tricep and a third day of shoulders and abs. I also eat about 40 grams of protein immediatly after i get home, either in a shake or eggs and milk. Im trying to lose a little more body fat while adding more muscle but i've hit a wall with my workout. (i increase weight and do sets of 10-8-6) I no longer see improvements and ive been stuck at the same weights for quit some time. I also don't take any supplements because i don't know what to take. I was wondering if anyone could offer any insigts, new workouts, or supplements that can assist me

Try a 5x5 or 8x3 scheme with your bench/squat. How often do you switch up your workout?
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

Wannabebig Member
    not to often at all. which i know is wrong, i mean im always looking for new excersises to do and i mix them into my routines. what do you mean by a 5x5?

You may try working legs.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by waly01 View Post
    Weight Lifting Question for anyone who is knowledgable in the area.?

. I do your standard, Bicep-back, chest tricep and a third day of shoulders and abs.

Work your legs. The body grows as a whole. You aren't going to get big in just the upper body...it doesn't work that way. Post your complete diet and routine as well. Then we can give you more pointers.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    not to often at all. which i know is wrong, i mean im always looking for new excersises to do and i mix them into my routines. what do you mean by a 5x5?

No, it's fine. You should stick with a routine as long as you progress. Changing frequently can be counter-productive.

5x5 means 5 sets of 5 reps.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 01-15-2007 at 07:58 PM.

Im trying to lose a little more body fat while adding more muscle but i've hit a wall with my workout.
    Booyah.

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    No, it's fine. You should stick with a routine as long as you progress. Changing frequently can be counter-productive.

5x5 means 5 sets of 5 reps.
    Exactly

Changing up your routine is one of the biggest myths/fallicies of "required" things to do when lifting.

Stick with a routine and add 2.5 - 5lbs to each lift every workout. Eat enough and sleep enough and you will never stagnate or hit a wall.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 01-15-2007 at 08:00 PM.

You're proobbally cutting your calories down too low. Try eating a little bit more and throw in some cardio and you should continue to lose fat.

Those are some pretty good stats by the way, how are your lifts?
    5'6
    29.5 waist

Bench:240-250, somewhere in that area.
    Squat:315
    Deadlift:385-405

Goal: Lift more, Be Bigger and look Better.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    You've been using a routine without legs for 4 years?

Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 01-15-2007 at 08:09 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Wannabebig Member
    Wow, thanks for all the responses.

Yea, the majority of my 4 years of working out have been without legs. I don't look like a chicken tho, i have very naturally strong legs as my dad was a soccer player as a child. so i have the think trunks genetically. also, i lifted legs for a period of time, but i have bad knees so i had to stop on doctors orders. but i was doing heavy squating as well as things like exploding squats off a seat...things that aren't exactly easy on the knees.

I don't think my problem is eating or sleeping as i def get the required amounts of calories. As far as my diet is concerned i don't look to much at calories and try to eat foods with little fat. I also take in as much protein as i can...nearly a gallon of milk every other day.

My whole routine is as follows:
    Day 1.
    Bench 175 pounds-10 reps, 185-8 reps, 195, 6 reps (been stuck here forever)
    incline dumbel single hand press- 45 x10, 50x8, 55x6
    decline bench- 145-10, 155-8, 165-6
    at this point i mix in tricep excerises, at 3 sets each in between the rest of the chest excercises which include, cables, peck deck, incline bench cable flys. (i want something to target the lower outside part of the chest as well)

Day 2.
    preacher bench - 85x10, 95x8, 105x6
    back flys (other function on the peck deck) 70, 80, 90
    hammer curls
    cables (at the bottom and i grab with opposite ends and lift up to my shoulders)
    bicep curls
    lawn mower curls
    reverse grip curls
    and i'll finish off with a burn out set

Day 3.
    iso shoulder press
    ab excersise
    shrugs
    abs
    then i usually superset lifting 15 points from my sides and then lifting 15 pounds from in front of me
    abs

so that's my whole routine...lemme know what i should change.

Well then forget legs. How about working your posterior? Try that.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Wow, so many misconceptions here...I'll try and clear up a few.

Okay, you are ONLY working chest, arms and abs. You are NOT working your back and legs...and that is why you have hit a wall.

"Back flyes" is a rear delt movement not back. And you are doing seven bicep exercises (WAY too many).

There is NO "lower inside" part of the chest. For that matter there is no upper chest or lower chest or whatever. There is ONLY chest. When you do ANY chest exercise, the entire muscle is worked. It is impossible to do otherwise. The entire muscle is stimulated. Period. Pay no attention to anyone who claims otherwise as it is clear they don't understand basic anatomy.

You are doing too much and focusing on isolation exercises for about 75% of your routine.

Throw it out and start with this one (I adjusted it to take into account your physical limitations)

Day 1: Chest and biceps (all sets are 4*8)

Flat bench press.

Dips

Standing E-Z bar curl (lean back slightly against a wall if you experience back strain)

Day 2:

Rest

Day 3. Back and triceps.

Rack pulls. Similar to deadlifts but do them on a rack at knee height. That should not hurt your knees (unless they are extremely sensitive)

Cable rows.

Close-grip bench press

Day 4 rest

Day 5

rest

Day 6

Back and chest:

Rack pulls

Flat bench press.

Day 7

abs and calves

(Your choice of exercises here...do no more than 2-3 for each bodypart)

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    NOTE: The above routine is something to be used ONLY if you can't work legs at all.

Personally I'd find another doctor who knew something about weightlifting and see if there was anything I could do to rehab my knees or work my legs. Not working half your body WILL limit your gains.

Wannabebig Member
    what kind of routine would you recoment if i could work legs normally? i think i'll give it a chance and maybe go lighter if it's to difficult. i never realized how much of an affect working legs had on the rest of the body

Do a search for WBB1, WBB2, WBB3 or BGB
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Wannabebig Member
    Im looking at the above suggested routine and the WBB 1. I just had one final question, i do have this annoying small layer of flub that i need to get rid of so that the abs i feel under there will show. Should i do 30 min cardio sessions on the days off? or should i just let the new work out regiments take care of those
    Last edited by waly01; 01-16-2007 at 07:38 AM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Im looking at the above suggested routine and the WBB 1. I just had one final question, i do have this annoying small layer of flub that i need to get rid of so that the abs i feel under there will show. Should i do 30 min cardio sessions on the days off? or should i just let the new work out regiments take care of those

To lose fat diet is key. You can do all the cardio or workouts you want...but if you are eating too much your abs will stay on permanant vacation.

Do a search for "fitday" on this site.

I JUST published something here that might help you: How to do cardio if you MUST!

Skip to the end to see a sample protocol.

You could read Baby Got Back too, if you're interested in trying something that incorporates more posterior chain work and 5x5/3x8 ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    I JUST published something here that might help you: How to do cardio if you MUST!
    ..........where have I seen that before?