The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Training for the meet in March

Hey guys as ive told i found a meet March 25th, USPF RI Championships, im cutting and only need 12 lbs before im 198 so that isnt a problem however should i change my style of training over to powerlifting now instead of this go as i please stuff? i havent followed anything in a while, i still want to use my kettlebell and sandbag though.

i havent lost any strength and my protien is high so i may be able to tweek a few lbs out of my lifts before the meet in march, think its a good idea?

i really want to focus on overhead press but i guess i can just use it as an accessory instead of primary like ive been doing, bench is my weakest lift for my size.
    2000 or bust

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I would continue to do what your doing for the rest of January and try to lose more weight if you can. Then start up a powerlifting pre-meet cycle and progressively make your way up to peek around the meet.

As much as you wanna work your overhead press if you wanna do well against other 198's your gonna need to work on that bench and learn the proper form.

I don't see why couldn't keep using your sandbags and KB's through February but I wouldn't go too crazy during march and just focus on prepping for the meet.
    Last edited by KevinStarke; 01-16-2007 at 02:25 PM.

I'd actually go ahead and start powerlifting training but with a few days of hard GPP/HIIT tossed in there. I'd get within 7-8lbs and then just cut water a day or 2 beforehand. That way you're less likely to lose a whole lot of strength and water is much easier to replenish than muscle.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

HomeYield,

I have learned by experience that 7-8lbs the day before is not fun. It is very easy to cut it incorrectly and compete the next day with a loss of energy. 4lbs is what I would reccomend.
    Squat:525lbs
    Bench:335lbs
    Deadlift:440lbs

For a 17 year old, I would not suggest cutting 8 pounds of water, but I'm conservative like that.

Getting to 198 in time shouldn't be an issue. If it will, don't do it, and go up to 220.

I would start PLing training now. Keep the KB and sandbag stuff in as accessory work.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Good point. It could be either way though. He's also about 50lbs heavier than you. That might make the difference. Being 220lbs, I have no probably fluctuating between 210 and 220.

Stump, play with it but be conservative. LiftingKid makes a good point and I could be on the high side of things.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Its your first meet I wouldn't be stressing out too much over it. Just prep and do your best and see what happens.

thanks alot guys im very excited because i should squash the teenage squat and deadlift records for 198 dead raw.

i guess i can use my sandbag when its warm up and bring my KB to the gym for some GPP or i can man up and just do it in the cold.

im not very fond of speed work, so i guess i could do the traditional MON-WEDS-FRI bench squat deadlift routine with accessory stuff, i think?
    2000 or bust

Don't worry about what you weigh? Just train hard and see what happens. Most lifters will drop a few pounds the week before the meet just in nervous energy alone. Just keep us posted and we'll all figure things out as you go. Good luck.

Have you ever trained at a place called Ocean Side or Ocean State (something like that in RI)?

thanks for droppin in vin, im not worrying so far my cut is really successful, i will keep you guys posted.

yeah actually, thats in the town next to me, i trained there on a guest pass for free, really hardcore place, old as hell, you have been?
    Last edited by Stumprrp; 01-16-2007 at 05:07 PM.
    2000 or bust

PoutineEh
    maybe pick some arbitrary day a while before the competition and make that your "fake competition weigh in" and see how much water weight you can comfortably take off. ive never done a competition before, but if i were going to, id find out how much water i can get out of me safely beforehand if it were my first competition coming up.

cadana sounds good but at this rate of loss ill be 198 long before the comp, thanks dude!

Im thinking of how to set up my days, ive talked with mike wolfe and others about a solid bench day, alot of those guys do something like this.

heavy bench 6 sets of 3 reps
    closegrip dumbbell 3 sets 6 reps
    latpull/pullups/rows 4 sets 6 reps
    side laterals 3 sets 10
    front laterals 3 sets 10
    rear delts 3 sets 10

thats how i see alot of guys set up there bench press days

deadlift id just do deads, some low back extentions, hamstring/glute work, snatching of some sort

squats id do squats, maybe some leg press, iono what other accessory stuff to do
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    thanks alot guys im very excited because i should squash the teenage squat and deadlift records for 198 dead raw.

i guess i can use my sandbag when its warm up and bring my KB to the gym for some GPP or i can man up and just do it in the cold.

im not very fond of speed work, so i guess i could do the traditional MON-WEDS-FRI bench squat deadlift routine with accessory stuff, i think?
    If I were you I would probably do 2 of the 3 major lifts every mwf and do an accessory GPP lift in place of 1 of the 3 major lifts.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "F—k you and the Prowler you rode in on"

so something like a full body, i guess this could work, ill see, i was just going to do a whole GPP day on saturday.
    2000 or bust

I'm with Vinnie, at your age, and if you are going to compete in a powerlifting contest why not try to up your weight and increase your lifts right up to the meet? Why worry about the 198s?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I'm with Vinnie, at your age, and if you are going to compete in a powerlifting contest why not try to up your weight and increase your lifts right up to the meet? Why worry about the 198s?
    He's greedy and just wants the records

chris - because im unhappy with my physique as of now and want to shed some fat before i bulk and try to put another 20 lbs of LBM on, + like risk said id like to break some records lol
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by nhlfan View Post
    If I were you I would probably do 2 of the 3 major lifts every mwf and do an accessory GPP lift in place of 1 of the 3 major lifts.
    That's not a good idea. If you're training for a powerlifting meet you need to train like a powerlifter. Your previous idea was better (like what Wolfey suggested). Now would be the perfect time to start an 8 week training cycle geared toward peaking for your meet. You should start the first few weeks with higher volume (5x5 or 4x4) with moderate weight (though progressively heavier) then go with heavier weights with lower reps, i.e. heavy triples, then doubles, then singles, but back off on max effort stuff every 3rd week on each lift.

You should not lift at all the week before the meet, and the week before your rest week you should go no heavier than what your openers will be. A good measure of thumb for an opener would be something you know you can do for 3 reps. Second attempt should equal or slightly exceed your previous PR. Third attempt go by feel and go for whatever you want to achieve.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

thanks alot G man, as of now good openers for me are 275 bench 495 dead and 405 squat but it may change.

what are some good things do on my squat and deadlift days for assitance?
    2000 or bust

If you just train deadlifts by doing classic deads you might want to add platform speed deads with %50-70 of your max. I started to do this, and I like it. Jeff Jet technique is worth looking into aswell.

thanks alot G man, as of now good openers for me are 275 bench 495 dead and 405 squat but it may change.

Pick 2 or 3 each workout -

Squat day assistance exercises: front squat, box squats, good mornings, glute-ham raises, calf raises, lunges

Deadlift day assistance exercises: SLDL's, rack pulls, bentover rows, chinups/pullups, barbell shrugs, rack squats (pins set at bottom of sternum), reverse hypers (if you have access to a reverse hyper apparatus), snatch/cleans
    Last edited by Guido; 01-17-2007 at 03:48 PM.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

ok i do all of this lol ill pick what ever, thanks guys

hope my right glute/ham thing heals up soon so i can max out squats.
    2000 or bust

ok i do all of this lol ill pick what ever, thanks guys
    Sounds like your workout program is already on track, then.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

Iron4Life
    hope my right glute/ham thing heals up soon so i can max out squats.
    Stumpster.. I agree with the guys above.. worry about cutting after your 1st meet. Just eat and get as strong as possible.

The other thing I would do is try to find an experienced PL'er near you.. perhaps someone who has lifted in this federation. Meet them at least 3-4 times before the meet, whereever they have a membership.. sounds like that Ocean side place would be a good start. And then use that person to judge your lifts - like do a mini-contest, 3 Squats, 3 BPs, 3 DLs, near maximum weights - have them give you the commands to "squat", "press", etc.. and have them judge depth, form etc.. according to the rules of the federation. And then see if that same person will help you with a couple of workouts, making sure to use those commands and judge form/depth/pause, like competition lifts. You need to be contest ready.

And for a program.. stick to a Westside type... and then just put the Kettlebells, sandbags at the end of a workout for a few minutes... I think having 2-3 days of real rest per week will help. I know just before that 1st comp I did in Dec. I was much stronger when I came back from biz trips - forced 3-4 days of rest. But then again, you are much younger, so body may recuperate much faster. lol

And don't pick your starting weights just yet.. wait until a couple weeks before the contest... and pick a weight that you can do 3 strict reps with. Getting that first lift "white-lighted" at your first meet is so important.. and I can still feel the euphoria from mine just last month.

And that last week is tough.. it drove me insane to do nothing.. you commented in my journal at the time.. take a look. But you gotta rest.. light walking, maybe some stretching, maybe a few pushups & situps.. but no weight at least 5 days before.

GL dude..

bear i appreciate the great message, i know you guys think i should just eat and get stronger but im doing so well with the weight loss, it would make me really upset to put the weight back on and get all bloated up again.

i dont know any one who does PL around here and i cant switch over to ocean state after my sis got me 3 months to golds but ill stick to the PL type routine.
    2000 or bust