The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: moving out

moving out

About to move into my own apartment any tips before i sign a lease?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Get roommates
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Banned
    Make sure you know your rights as a tenant and you know what every section of lease is saying.

Bicster
    Get a price list for what they will charge you for repairs upon moving out. Things like missing, broken blinds, spots on carpet, hole in wall, stuff like that. My first apartment I was charged $25 for a missing ice tray in the freezer.

Wannabebig Member
    roomates can be key....really helps with cost!!!

what kind of apartment? if it's a unit in a huuuuge building, the contract is much more likely to be 'fairer', whereas if you're renting a unit in a triplex, you may be signing a lease that's totally favoring teh landlord (to a stronger degree, compared to larger, more respectable landlords/managers).

Oh, and about worrying for the condition at the end, here's your best bet - make friends with the maintenance men/kids who do the repairs and the inspections. My apartment is about to be inspected, and it has holes punched through the walls, the bathroom's painted blue, the carpet is mangled from both a gym on one side, and huge fish tank on the other, but it's okay - because the kids who would be charging me (from security deposit) to fix it, are my friends, so they'll just come and fix the stuff and give me my money.
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    Get roommates
    Totally disagree. Roommates suck!

I had roommates for 3yrs and now I live by myself. The next time I live with someone it will be my gf or wife.

It does help with cost, but it doesn't help THAT much.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Quote Originally Posted by Bicster View Post
    Get a price list for what they will charge you for repairs upon moving out. Things like missing, broken blinds, spots on carpet, hole in wall, stuff like that. My first apartment I was charged $25 for a missing ice tray in the freezer.
    Very good advice. I would also add that you should inquire about early termination penalties. If, for some reason, you choose to move or are forced by life circumstances to move out early, make sure there is some sort of language in the lease to address this so the landlord won't be hounding you and destroying your fledgling credit history to collect rent for a place where you no longer reside. It may be a penalty or it may be a right to sublet on landlord's approval or it may be a thousand different things, but make sure it is not ignored.

Also...Congrats!! It's a big step you're about to take, but much maturity is gained this way.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ddegroff View Post
    Totally disagree. Roommates suck!

I had roommates for 3yrs and now I live by myself. The next time I live with someone it will be my gf or wife.

It does help with cost, but it doesn't help THAT much.
    It's really a personal decision. I lived with a roomate (literally shared a room) in residence and it was good, but I wouldn't do it again. Last year I lived in a house with 6 other people. It was fun, but tough when you needed to study. This year (and next) I'm living with my g/f. Much better

Banned
    my advice to a first time apartment renter:
    1) Talk to people that live in a couple of the apartments near yours and ask them about noise levels, as well as general maintenance stuff... are there problems with the elevators, the hot water, the electricity, etc.

2) Try not to rush the process. Working under a deadline can mean that you wind up with a place you don't like that much.

3) Ensure the locks are changed before you move in. Who knows who used to live in that place and still has a key. In general there should be good security on all the entrances and windows.

4) Unless you have money to burn, be practical about the size/space/amenities you are paying for. It might be nice to see there's a pool in the building but if you never use it, its wasted money.

5) Before you move in, ensure that you do an inspection with the landlord or their agent and collaboratively sign a list of any and all damage that exists in the apartment before you were there. You may also want to bring along your digicam and snap pics of the condition of the apartment before you take possession.

6) If the premises aren't clean when you move in, and you have to clean them, ask the landlord to make an adjustment to your first month's rent, or change the lease to indicate that you do not have to clean before you move out, or to give you some other concession for having to take possession of a dirty residence. Remember, by not cleaning the premises before you moved in, the landlord has saved money or time or both.

7) You don't have to accept the lease as-is. If you don't grok legal jargon, get someone who does to help you and review it in detail. If there's terms and conditions in there you're not comfortable with, negotiate them out or walk away if they won't move on them.

8) Understand the tenancy and landlord laws of your city/state. I ran into problems a few years back because we were renting an apartment in a big building complex and the landlord didn't like pets. So I signed a lease that stated "No Pets". However I had already done my research and knew that the provincial laws made any such clause in a lease agreement 'unfair discrimination' and so I was safe in violating that clause. The landlord gave me all kinds of crap about having a cat but ultimately they could do nothing. Mind you I paid my rent on time, didn't make noise and gave them NO other reason to even think about trying to push me out.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    It's really a personal decision. I lived with a roomate (literally shared a room) in residence and it was good, but I wouldn't do it again. Last year I lived in a house with 6 other people. It was fun, but tough when you needed to study. This year (and next) I'm living with my g/f. Much better
    First timers it's alright, but I would rather have to blame myself for the mess than someone else.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ddegroff View Post
    First timers it's alright, but I would rather have to blame myself for the mess than someone else.
    I absoloutely agree. My housemates last year drove me nuts....they just refused to clean. Not even procrastination - flat out refused.

get renters insurance. seriously