Thread: squat- hamstring injuries

squat- hamstring injuries

Ok heres the deal. Ive been lifting alot in the last few months, but since hockey season has gotten into full swing ive really neglected my legs. i want to get back into it and start squatting which i dint do before. the reason i never did it is because everytime id squat id do 10 reps with just the bar, then move up to 135lbs. when i did a set or two with the 135, id always pull something in my hamstrings, or atleast i would ruin the rest of my workout becuase it really ruined my leg for the day. Is this from a lack of warming up/stretching, or because i dont work my hamstrings enough?

Quote Originally Posted by KevBren420 View Post
    Ok heres the deal. Ive been lifting alot in the last few months, but since hockey season has gotten into full swing ive really neglected my legs. i want to get back into it and start squatting which i dint do before. the reason i never did it is because everytime id squat id do 10 reps with just the bar, then move up to 135lbs. when i did a set or two with the 135, id always pull something in my hamstrings, or atleast i would ruin the rest of my workout becuase it really ruined my leg for the day. Is this from a lack of warming up/stretching, or because i dont work my hamstrings enough?
    Proper warming up of muscles can help prevent strains. Nothing is 100% though.

Quote Originally Posted by KevBren420 View Post
    It sounds like 135 is too much for you. Swallow your pride and take smaller jumps.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Wannabebig Member
    How is your form?

What do you mean 'pull something in your hamstrings'?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

i dont really know how to explain it....it almost feels like a cramp right above the back of my knee. And 135 isnt really that hard for me to lift at all

Check form and tempo. make sure you are not bouncing out of the hole too quickly
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

thanks BG ill try that b/c i might be bouncing too much...ill be at the gym tomorrow so ill tell all of you how it works out

Sounds liek you have very tight hamstrings.

more warmup sets, make sure you're hydrated, and stick with it.

work with romanian deadlifts too, to help improve flexibility.

and make sure your form is correct.