Thread: 20 lbs weight gain = 1 inch added to arms

Hybrid View

Only happy when bulking radioheadhead's Avatar

20 lbs weight gain = 1 inch added to arms

I have seen this approximation used several times, and it seemed to be true for me on my last bulk. Does this also apply to calves? I am trying to put on 25 more pounds by June, will this add an inch+ to my chopsticks?
    Height: 6' weight:197
    BF%: ~12%?

bench: 280 x 1
    squat: 370 x 1
    dead: 360 x 1

goal: 225 @ < 10% bodyfat

Hopefully, although I guess that depends on your genetics and your training. My calves outgrow my arms by a long way, but I know some people have awful trouble trying to get their calves to grow.

The best way is to work them hard in the way that works best for you and see!

Banned
    my arms grew about 2" with maybe 10-15lbs difference, durring my arm growing days so its definatly not absoulute.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    my arms grew about 2" with maybe 10-15lbs difference, durring my arm growing days so its definatly not absoulute.
    Your arms grew 2" with a 10lb weight increase? That's incredible if that's possible.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    Your arms grew 2" with a 10lb weight increase? That's incredible if that's possible.
    i weighed about 140 and my arms were around 15" right around my senor year, after highschool i wanted them to be huge and realized my training was lacking bad, so i dedicated a day a week just for arms and shoulders and in less then two years time i put on two inches and only got up to 150lbs BW.
    i fell way short of my goal getting them to be 20" in the year 2000. Now im just trying to get them to 18" by 2008
    every one here will probably laugh at me and say i over trained them, but there were days at the gym i would stay for 5 hours working on bi's, tri's and delts (should have hit the delts more though) but the amazing thing was that they grew fast during that time. and i have been natural all my life
    Last edited by smokinHawk; 01-17-2007 at 08:21 PM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    i weighed about 140 and my arms were around 15" right around my senor year, after highschool i wanted them to be huge and realized my training was lacking bad, so i dedicated a day a week just for arms and shoulders and in less then two years time i put on two inches and only got up to 150lbs BW.
    i fell way short of my goal getting them to be 20" in the year 2000. Now im just trying to get them to 18" by 2008
    every one here will probably laugh at me and say i over trained them, but there were days at the gym i would stay for 5 hours working on bi's, tri's and delts (should have hit the delts more though) but the amazing thing was that they grew fast during that time. and i have been natural all my life

So at a bodyweight of 150 lbs you had 17 inch arms (naturally)? And put in 5 hour workouts for them to boot?

Maybe they were 17 inches immediately after one of those 5 hour workouts....To put your claim in perspective here's something to consider. If arms are 17 inches cold, then after a grueling workout they should be around 19 or close. This would put them around the same size as Arnold's when he was at a bodyweight of 240 and winning Mr. Olympia titles.

You must have the world's best genetics.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 01-17-2007 at 08:36 PM.

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    so you're the mofo curling in the power rack!!!!

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...t=90756&page=1
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

It's a decent rule of thumb.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

That seems a bit too simplistic to me. I think it depends on your training and your genetics. After all, someone could add 20 lbs of fat and have most of it carried in the abdominals. Its really up to your genetic makeup where you lose or add weight more quickly than other areas. Metabolism and genetics, along with your training and nutrition seem by far too complicated to sum it up in such a general rule to go by.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    That seems a bit too simplistic to me. I think it depends on your training and your genetics. After all, someone could add 20 lbs of fat and have most of it carried in the abdominals. Its really up to your genetic makeup where you lose or add weight more quickly than other areas. Metabolism and genetics, along with your training and nutrition seem by far too complicated to sum it up in such a general rule to go by.
    That might be why I said 'Rule of Thumb'. If you prefer, I will use the word 'generally'.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    That might be why I said 'Rule of Thumb'. If you prefer, I will use the word 'generally'.

No, once again "rule of thumb" or "generally" seems to be inaccurate as well. I just feel its more complicated than that and it would be too hard to sum it up like that.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Calves seem like they would grow a little bit faster than arms. At least, I hope they would.

Though this does depend on genetics as well. I've seen some people with calves that look like a bone while my calves are quite large for my size/weight.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

I gained 60 lbs and added just over 2 inches on my arms. That's only 1 inch per 30 lbs gained. However, I focused much of my effort on getting stronger in the power lifts, not necessarily training for size. How you train and what you focus on makes a big difference.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Banned
    no i have the worlds best workouts *sarcasim = sarcasim*
    pumped they were 1/2" bigger.

Banned
    bah, no i never curl in a squat rack, that is made for leg work, yes it annoys me to when people curl in a squat rack cause there to lazy to pick the bar up off the floor.

bah, no i never curl in a squat rack, that is made for leg work, yes it annoys me to when people curl in a squat rack cause there to lazy to pick the bar up off the floor.
    So you dont like it when you go get a drink in between a set of your squats only to come back to some skinny dude curling the bar in your squat rack?

So you dont like it when you go get a drink in between a set of your squats only to come back to some skinny dude curling the bar in your squat rack?
    Wow you need to squat more if someone is curling that weight
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Quote Originally Posted by ddegroff View Post
    Wow you need to squat more if someone is curling that weight
    oh boy..good one :P

obviously im implying they took the weight off you were squating while you were getting your drink..but fair enough, i set myself up for that one

oh boy..good one :P

obviously im implying they took the weight off you were squating while you were getting your drink..but fair enough, i set myself up for that one
    That has never happend to me, I would do whatever it takes so they know not to do it again.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Banned
    or that is one tuff skinny dude i wouldnt mess with if he's curlin the weight im squating with.

i used to say "if you cant lift the weight thats on the bar, better ask someone if you can take it off."