Thread: Percentage body fat - on target? (And advice on bulk end-point)

Wannabebig Member

Percentage body fat - on target? (And advice on bulk end-point)

Just a quickie -

I weighed my percentae bodyfat tonight using electrical resistance scales, for the first time ever. I appreciate the limitations of this technique, but it is at least a first data point!

Anyway, i'm 5'9'', 157lbs and 17% bodyfat. When i started training, which has been rather off and on (working overseas), i was 140 (and unknown bodyfat).

What is 17% like? Been trying to look through folks posts, but not getting much idea.

Back to training now, and trying to really bulk up. What would be a good weight to try and hit before cutting?

Appreciate answerin with accuracy is impossible, but even a rough suggestion would be great. Ultimately, looking for the athlete toned look rather than the bodybuilder one!

Any words of wisdom appreciated

Cheers

Banned
    There isn't really a number to stop at. I would bulk until you can't stand what you see in the mirror.

17% is getting fairly fat IMO although some guys carry it a LOT better than others. No visible abs for certain. Still some separation at the shoulder/bicep junction.

Round about 12% is when the majority of guys start to see abs. If you can see any abs, then I'd be willing to bet you're not as high as 17%

That said, you already realise that the impedance method is complete crap. It's very innacurate, but maybe you could use it as a measure of progress. If the number is falling, then ou're likely to be losing fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidelmo
    If the number is falling, then ou're likely to be losing fat.
    I've seen my bf drop 3% in a matter of hours using one of those. They are complete crap. A $10 set of calipers would be better, IMO.

OP: Bulk till you feel your too fat, then cut back.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

It depends on your build, a pic would help but at 5'9" and 157 you are still light. I would look at bulking to 170 range.

17% at your hight and weight seems like allot but then those scales are not accurate.

If you are looking to build an athlete look, I would not even consider cutting unless you think you are too fat. Instead of cutting try more cardio (sprints or long runs).

like others have mentioned bulk until you are uncomfortable

Wannabebig Member
    Right, onwards with the bulking it is. Will also try and get a set of callipers over the weekend.

For the athlete look, would it be best to start doing cardio whilst trying to bulk?

As ever, cheers for all the repllies.

If you do cardio while trying to bulk you will really have to step up your eating habbits. Bulking requires excess food and cardio burns it.

I would hold off on any hard running until you reach your goal. A 10-15 minute run would be fine.

157 at 5'9" and 17% bf???? do you even have bones? I'm 180 at 19% bf at 5'5".

p.s. even at 17% i still look pretty fat
    -Blake

Wannabebig Member
    Hey guys,

Got me a manual body fat calliper, and took 3 readings at the supraillic site (best as i could find it).

Reading off the chart it seems i'm at 11.6% bodyfat, which is quite a drop from the 17% i got off the resistance thingy.

Probably the easiest damn weight i'll ever loose!

Im thinking getting up to 175 and then cutting until i can get to 8-10% fat - any views?

Wannabebig Member
    So, i've checked my shake on fitday at 1503kcal, 54g Fat, 154g Carb and 110g protein.

Is the fat a bit high?

First of all, does the 11.6% sound accurate to you. Calipers are great.. but only if you know how to use them. At 11.6% you should have a six pack visible most of the time. Does that sound about right?

The shake sounds fine, assuming the fats are from olive oil, peanut butter etc. If I were you I might add more carbs and tone the protein down a little. If you're adding lots of whey it will be costing a lot.

How many of those shakes are you having a day? What are your total calories, protein, fats and carbs for the day?

Wannabebig Member
    Not sure how believeable 11.6 is. I'm the fattest i've been since stopping swimming, at which time im sure my fat level was about as low as it could go. I definately had a clear 6 at that time.

However, i certainly don't now. Nonetheless, all the fat i do carry seems to be on my stomach/belly - arms/shoulders are pretty sharply defined. I will try using the callipers again, and see if i get the same reading.

The shake fats come primarily from the whole milk, and perhaps some from the ice-cream (have to check its composition). Haven't been adding oil, and am gently allergic to nuts so no PB. What would be best source of carbs be? Subjectively, it tastes pretty sweet.....

I drink 1.5L of the shake at the moment. 1L for breakfast, and 0.5 before workouts. Should i have more? Should i have an additional MRP?

Will update on the daily totals once i have a better idea (only been logging for a day or two).

REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE ADVICE - FOLKS ON HERE ARE AWESOME!

Crawf