Thread: Small guy trying to get strong (help please)

Wannabebig Member

Small guy trying to get strong (help please)

Hi guys I'm new here and i was wondering if you guys can help me out well anyway I'm 5'4 125 lbs 16 years old and im trying to get stronger im pretty weak right now.

I bought a card to 24 hour fitness

1.I can only bench about 65-75 lbs at the moment which is pretty pathetic so i was wondering should i lift less lbs but more of it i think they're called reps? or sets? or should i lift heavy and do less?

I recently got some free protein powder (muscle milk) it seems to contain ALOT of fat should i be worried because during the summer i got alot of fat off my like... about 25 lbs i dont want that back.. im trying to get skinners still and stronger..

2.About the protein how often should i drink it? I hear when i wake up, before work out, after work out, when i go to sleep is this enough proteins??

I do not think i get enough protein in my regular diet so i might need more because i eat a lot of rice cause im asian lol so not a lot of protien is coming in.

Any other tips you can give me will be great thanks guys.

Wannabebig Member
    Also I often feel sore that day after is there any pill or anything i can get to stop that? when will i see results too

hey dude, we almost weigh the same, except for your taller

Lift, eat, rest and repeat.

I often feel sore that day after is there any pill or anything i can get to stop that? when will i see results too
    you can't stop it unless you eat bannanas before your workout.

Quote Originally Posted by michael65907 View Post
    Hi guys I'm new here and i was wondering if you guys can help me out well anyway I'm 5'4 125 lbs 16 years old and im trying to get stronger im pretty weak right now.

I bought a card to 24 hour fitness

1.I can only bench about 65-75 lbs at the moment which is pretty pathetic so i was wondering should i lift less lbs but more of it i think they're called reps? or sets? or should i lift heavy and do less?

I recently got some free protein powder (muscle milk) it seems to contain ALOT of fat should i be worried because during the summer i got alot of fat off my like... about 25 lbs i dont want that back.. im trying to get skinners still and stronger..

2.About the protein how often should i drink it? I hear when i wake up, before work out, after work out, when i go to sleep is this enough proteins??

I do not think i get enough protein in my regular diet so i might need more because i eat a lot of rice cause im asian lol so not a lot of protien is coming in.

Any other tips you can give me will be great thanks guys.

1. Lift what you can. Don't worry about what anyone else is doing. We were all weak at one point.
    ROUTINE. What are you doing right now? You need a routine.
    This is a good routine for a new fellow like yourself:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25

Follow this down to the letter. If you don't know what an exercise is, check out this page:
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
    It shows what every exercise is.
    Now, remember, form is very important. If you have ANY questions about form, even if they're basic and you think they're stupid questions, ask us! We're more than happy to help.

Fat doesn't equal getting fat. A caloric surplus is what makes you put on the weight. Eat/drink the muscle milk. It will ONLY help you. You have to have calories to get stronger. Dude, you're 125 pounds, don't worry about getting, "skinner." If you want to get stronger, you really need to put on a few pounds. Many of the members here are 200LBs or more.

2. Don't worry about when you get protein. This is not as important as how much you're consuming on a daily basis. Try to take in 130+ grams per day. Many recommend 1 gram per pound of body weight. Eat. Don't get it all from supplements. Eat food! Eat chicken, steak, anything. Just get some protein in your body

Bottom line:
    Eat, lift, sleep. If you want to be strong, this is what you do. Simple, eh?
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Quote Originally Posted by must_eat View Post
    you can't stop it unless you eat bannanas before your workout.
    lol....
    Come on man.

No. You'll be sore.

That's part of it.

Don't worry about it, that's the way it is.
    You'll learn to like it.

But to reassure you, the more experienced you are at lifting, the less DOMS (Delayed onset muscle soreness) you'll get.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Also I often feel sore that day after is there any pill or anything i can get to stop that? when will i see results too
    That's part of it, but you can do some things to help. One thing I used to do is take contrast showers. Just keep alternating between really hot and really cold water, starting and ending with cold. This is supposed increase blood flow and reduce the levels of lactic acid in your muscles, which will reduce muscle soreness.

Also, as was said above, once you've become more experienced it won't be as bad.
    Last edited by KoolDrew; 01-26-2007 at 10:29 AM.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    http://atlargenutrition.com/nutritio...?products_id=5
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Wannabebig Member
    anymoe opinions?

Best way to help with your DOMS is to keep exercising. Your body will become more efficient at handling the recovery and things won't be as bad. If you are confused about what rep/set range to lift, then try out some of the WBB routines. They are good ones.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

I, too, started out lifting a VERY small amount of weight. It can be really frustrating, and even down right embarrassing at the gym and seeing all of the other guys lifting so much more. But as others have said, dont let that bother you. Everyones body is different and the only way to improve yours is to do what you can. One thing I found that worked for me getting over my personal embarassment in the gym is an mp3 player. This lets you focus on what you are doing and you dont have to pay attention to anyone else. Proper form is essential in the beginning. Only do a weight that you can handle perfect form with, even if it is only the bar...Once you get perfect form down, I would suggest doing WBB1, with reps between 6-8 per set, once again stressing perfect form. If you have any other questions feel free to ask on here, but I have also learned that people at the gym are generally very helpful. Although intimidating, if a person is big, there is probably a reason and I always ask them about their routines, supplements, etc. and they are almost always willing to give input. Everyone goes to the gym for the same reason, and everyone has go to start somewhere. Keep it up!!!

I started my bench at 60 lbs, and I weighed 150, and I'm nearly a 30 year old man.

Don't have any expectations for yourself early on. And don't let it get too complicated. Just lift hard, eat big, sleep long, and repeat.
    Last edited by Questor; 01-27-2007 at 07:40 PM.