Powerlifting meet this saturday

How should I go about resting?

My routine going by days is
    Back/bi
    Chest
    Off
    Legs
    Shoulders/tri

I have meets starting almost every saturday for the next month and am wondering how do I change my workout so I have sufficent rest for the meets, if anyone has a routine I can use modified bodybuilding/powerlifting.

If your lifting this saturday then stop lifting ASAP!

Also, you shouldnt be competing that much, your going to destroy your CNS. Also, if your going to be competing that much Im assuming that the best bet for you is to stop lifting now and dont start again until a week after you are finished.

Frankly, you should rethink the frequency of your meets... One a month is a ton!
    Stats:
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

Agreed (I am agreeing with a fair bit here). You should rest up before and after.

If you are doing the same lifts at each meet once a month will be taxing.

I have seen guys take 2 weeks after a meet to get there energy and power back to normal. It all depends on the person.

If you actually push yourself in a contest studies say it should take about three weeks for your nervous system to recover. It is not wise to compete so frequently.

Iron4Life
    Jinkies.. are these just High School contests or sanctioned PL meets?

Testing yourself every week doesn't sound too good.. especially with the heavy weight you can do. Perhaps just once a month? Or better yet, you've surpassed your HS, go for a sanctioned meet. Then follow the advice of folks like Vinny and Wolfy... get on a great prep program and then rest that last week before a contest. You WILL set some records!

GL

Banned
    get 9-10 hours of sleep the week before the meet and you will be stronger.

Its a highschool meet and the coach is trying to get me as much experience as possible, they don't understand the concept of you get stronger when you rest.

My plan is hit chest tonight but very light, maybe some form work and some dumbells.

Friday is all rest, suit check and mental prep.

Saturday morning ill be running a mile or so in sweats to make weight then hopefully I'll be able to coast through this meet and still place high.
    Last edited by Jinkies; 01-18-2007 at 09:27 AM.

Muscle has to rebuild, Ive said it before and I will say it again.

Weightlifting is as much about rest as it is about lifting.

Clearly your coach is idiotic. I only did the BP and it still took me a week to recover, Deeder took over two weeks from his last two meets to recover.

Also, dont run on saturday morning, dont lift tonight. Sit down and rest. I wouldnt lift AT ALL especially if your coach is stupid enough to think you should compete every weekend. Frankly, you should find a new coach.
    Stats:
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

Banned
    i would only streach your muscles, dont work them, and dont run saturday, youll have used up all your energy and will be wimpy.

A meet every week? that sounds a little extreme you'd probably burn out real quick. If you have a week on Saturday I suggest you rest until then.

A meet every week is insane. There's no way you'll be able to perform as well after that first meet if you truly put all your efforts into it. I always rest a full week before and after a big meet, and I would do no more than a meet every 6-8 weeks or so.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

so yall are saying I should rest a full week without any time in the gym after a pl meet? I work with heavy weights everytime I hit the gym comming close to my max so my body seems to recover pretty good, I can hit it hard for 8 weeks then take a week off and be alright.

Will my strength go up while I rest after the meet?

Quote Originally Posted by Jinkies View Post
    so yall are saying I should rest a full week without any time in the gym after a pl meet? I work with heavy weights everytime I hit the gym comming close to my max so my body seems to recover pretty good, I can hit it hard for 8 weeks then take a week off and be alright.

Will my strength go up while I rest after the meet?
    Coming close to your max and maxing are two different things. Especially in a meet situation. In my opinion you are either not training as hard as you think or you are underestimating just how taxing competing at you peak level is on your body.

The week off after the meet is not to gain strength, it is to rest.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 01-18-2007 at 03:52 PM.

Im going to rest for now and see just how taxing this meet does, I won't know how to react until I feel it firsthand.

Im going to be doing touchup worktommorow and make sure the suits fit good and then assuming the weather holds out and the roads don't ice over ill compete and place well

Jinkies- what HS is the meet at? I might come check it out.
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

Burnet, you should check it out the fed is THSPA im not exactly sure what HS it is coach is lazy but il lhave all the info.

Thats all ive been told so far but im pretty sure ill get a packet about it tommorow, hopefully things will go good. You really should come check out one of the meets man it would be badass and id definately work harder.
    Last edited by Jinkies; 01-18-2007 at 09:07 PM.

Best of luck to you. Have fun. SFW!

Let me add something here:

Recovery is relative to the individual and also to the individual's particular level of strength vs. their potential for demonstrable strength. In other words, a beginner can train "balls to the wall" more often than a more advanced trainee and still recover. Recovery ability is something that in the drug-free individual simply doesn't improve very much with training. Yes, one can get into better shape and make an improvement in their ability to recover, but assuming one is in relatively good overall shape then the stronger one is the less highly intense training (intensity of effort, not as a percentage of 1RM) training one can take.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

^I've definitely found that to be true as I've gotten stronger.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Let me add something here:

Recovery is relative to the individual and also to the individual's particular level of strength vs. their potential for demonstrable strength. In other words, a beginner can train "balls to the wall" more often than a more advanced trainee and still recover. Recovery ability is something that in the drug-free individual simply doesn't improve very much with training. Yes, one can get into better shape and make an improvement in their ability to recover, but assuming one is in relatively good overall shape then the stronger one is the less highly intense training (intensity of effort, not as a percentage of 1RM) training one can take.
    That is very imformative. I guess that makes perfect sense, but I've never thought of it that way.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.