The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Advice pls: going from flat bench to decline bench...

First off this is my first post, I usually work out for strength and to lose weight but this year I am going to try something that I wanted to do for a long time, power and strength. I haven't been to a gym in all of 2006 as we had a new addition to the family. So I am starting out again from scratch but I do have previous weightlifting experience.

I have started a 12 week strength and power routine where I change my routine every 3 weeks to "shock' my muscles. Program can be found here:

leehayward.com/workout_programs/index.htm

I am about to change my routine and that means I have two questions.

I am changing from regular squats to hack squats with a machine. Do I up the weight when doing the hack squats or do I lower it?? My current squats are at 165lbs. I'm assuming that I will be putting more weight on as it is with a machine but I am wondering what percentage I should be increasing it by (or decreasing if I am assuming wrong).

I am also changing from a flat barbell bench press to a decline barbell bench. My current flat bench is at 175lbs. Again I'm assuming that I will be putting more weight on but I am wondering what percentage I should be increasing it by (or decreasing if I am assuming wrong).

I enter into the fourth week next monday and things are progressing quite well!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Why are you interested in using a machine?

At your current levels I think you should just stick to the basics.

Your squat is obviously lacking since you are benching more than you squat. Why don't you do something simple like WBB1?

For your questions, I'd assume using a machine would require more weight... Or at least higher numbers. Nobody can tell you a percentage. You're going to have to figure this one out on your own.

And a decline bench is usually going to be less weight than a flat.
    Last edited by Chris686; 01-18-2007 at 03:09 PM.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

i agree you are going to have to go by feel if it easy up the wt if its to hard lower it

but the decline bench should be easier therefore more weight
    (when powerlifters do a flat bench arch---trying to make it more of a decline bench---therfore easier)

Welcome to the forum. I just joined about three hours ago!

I agree with the above poster...Declines should let you use more weight. Just make sure you have a couple of workouts getting used to the movement before loading up the bar too heavy!

I rarely did declines in my years of lifting. Firstly, they felt kind of awkward to me, and secondly, I felt the lower chest got more than enough work with me doing a lot of dips.

I think declines would be less, a lot less. My decline is **** compared to my flat. Declines are a lot harder I think.. but that's just me. But regardless I agree with chris, just stick to the basics now.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I have a routine put together that includes some machines, I intend on sticking with the program for the 12 weeks as I am really enjoying it and I feel good about how it is going so far.

Again thanks for the advice.

I find the subject of decline/flat kinda wierd. I find i can press an extra 22lbs/10kg on a decline bench but some others tell me they can do less?
    I think decline takes your shoulders out of the equation more whether or not this has anything to do with the subject,im not sure. People with stronger shoulders may press more on a flat bench?

As for training,i think you should stick to the basics for a few weeks and in no-time you will gain back your strength. Maybe lift lighter for 10-12 reps for now and help precent injury then go heavy.
    Train,train hard.Eat,eat lots and sleep even more.

I had a miniscule tear in my left knee and tears in both upper biceps ( Far enough up for me to think it was an injury in my shoulders )

I know if I keep at it the muscle memoery will come back, I'm not lifting anything real heavy of course, almost afraid to but it will come with time.

Ok, so I was able to increase my weight going from a flat bench to the decline

I found the decline easier than the flat bench.

Flat bench = 175 lbs 5 x 5
    Incline bench = 195lbs 5 x 5

Quote Originally Posted by darray View Post
    Ok, so I was able to increase my weight going from a flat bench to the decline

I found the decline easier than the flat bench.

Flat bench = 175 lbs 5 x 5
    Incline bench = 195lbs 5 x 5
    I guess you meant decline there^ yeah declines are easier for just about everyone. inclines though are a different story.
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1