The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar

Why a vitamin a day may do more harm than good

Why a vitamin a day may do more harm than good

Of 21 brands of multivitamins on the market in the United States and Canada selected by ConsumerLab.com and tested by independent laboratories, just 10 met the stated claims on their labels or satisfied other quality standards.

Most worrisome, according to ConsumerLab.com president Dr. Tod Cooperman, is that one product, The Vitamin Shoppe Multivitamins Especially for Women, was contaminated with lead.
    SOURCE
    Last edited by ArchAngel777; 01-19-2007 at 01:27 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I take two flintstone completes, so it looks like I'm ok. Aside from eating childrens vitamins... but **** it, they don't wreck my stomach like adult 'complete' vitamins do and two of them have the same vitamin content as their adult counterparts.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer View Post
    I take two flintstone completes, so it looks like I'm ok. Aside from eating childrens vitamins... but **** it, they don't wreck my stomach like adult 'complete' vitamins do and two of them have the same vitamin content as their adult counterparts.
    Who doesn't take the Flinstone vitamins? They taste the best, their chewable, and they come in many different colors.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    If it's good enough for the children it's good enough for me. Speaking of which, I should go get some.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Member's Mark Complete Multi met standards. Awesome. I love Sam's.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel777 View Post
    The Vitamin Shoppe Multivitamins Especially for Women, was contaminated with lead
    OUCH! I see lawsuits on the horizon. To much lead for pregnant women can lead to development problems and birth defects.

If you eat enough of the right foods, you don't need vitamins. So eat lots of good food.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

guys which multi vitamin should I get? The walmart brand or Flintstone kid vitamins..isnt flinstone kids for kids?

Quote Originally Posted by must_eat View Post
    guys which multi vitamin should I get? The walmart brand or Flintstone kid vitamins..isnt flinstone kids for kids?
    My Equate Men's One Daily (wal-mart brand) has a USP stamp on it...it said in the article (in the tips for buying multi-vitamins) to look for those, which means at least its been tested or something (not necessarly safe tho..)...I don't know about the Flintstones ones though.

I tried taking a multivitamin specifically for men and it felt like my stomach was being turned inside out.

ok, so look for USP stamp...ok thanks!
    Last edited by must_eat; 01-19-2007 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by must_eat View Post
    ok, so look for USP stamp...ok thanks!
    "Looking on the bottle for a stamp from USP, NSF or ConsumerLab.com. While the stamp doesn't guarantee the product is safe and effective, it does indicate that the manufacturer has submitted the product for testing to show that it contains what is stated on the label."

Quote Originally Posted by darray View Post
    I tried taking a multivitamin specifically for men and it felt like my stomach was being turned inside out.
    Ive found I HAVE to take them with food or else the burn the hell out of my stomach.
    "Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy ass weight!" - Ronnie Coleman

"You've got to love what you're doing. If you love it, you can overcome any handicap or the soreness or all the aches and pains, and continue to play for a long, long time." -Gordie Howe

blah get em from food so you dont need this crap.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

How can a vitamin do ANY harm? Even if your not really getting as much as you think you are, they still help and its not like their expensive. I got like 100 for 4$.

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL View Post
    How can a vitamin do ANY harm? Even if your not really getting as much as you think you are, they still help and its not like their expensive. I got like 100 for 4$.
    Vitamin toxicity, dude. There is such a thing as too much.

Here's a list:
    http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic638.htm

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

I like how they tested dog vitamins as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    $9.27 for a 450 tab bottle. I too <3 Sam's.

Banned
    O no i am really scared I take alot of vitamins.

Some more info on multis, although I looked all over the place and couldn't find one that met all five conditions:

Rule (1)

Make sure your MULTI-Vitamin/Mineral has 19 vitamins & minerals with a % sign. There are over a 100 different nutrients in food today with science knowing of less than 40 or about 1/3 of what God has given to us. Nutrients on a label that have an asterisk have no set RDAís and as of yet are not part of the basic foundational nutrients although still important. These are sometimes added to cover up the missing foundational nutrients. So check to see that you have the foundational 19 important nutrients that have established RDAís first. Because if a product will miss these you know for sure they are cutting corners. Next is where was this products raw materials derived from and are they tested for quality & purity. Can the company prove that the raw materials are derived from natural food sources that still contain live enzymes that are necessary for digestion and assimilation. This is very important because if the nutrients were chemically produced they will not have important live enzymes and if science only knows of 1/3 the nutrients that God has given us through food, common sense tells us that there is no way they can produce the other 2/3 nutrients since they cannot even identify them yet.

Rule (2)

BIOTIN is vital for health and needs to be present w/ 100% OF THE U.S. RDA. Biotin is very expensive compared to the other B-vitamins in fact it is 20 to 25 times the cost of silver to produce. So the only reason for a company not putting 100% of this nutrient in their Multi is to save money and make more profit at your healthís expense. Also not having 100% of Biotin will hinder the use of all the B-vitamins. That is why they are all called B-vitamins they are of the same family and all need to be present in proportional amounts to work properly. Biotin is like the quarter back of the B-vitamin team and if he is only 12% available you are not going to have a good game. No matter how much of the cheap Bís are available the balance of all B-vitamins & having 100% Biotin & Folic acid are the most important. Many Multiís will fall short in this nutrient. Also check to see how many tablets are needed to achieve these %.

Rule (3)

The 8 MEMBERS of the B-COMPLEX should not vary more than 500% from each other. Thiamin, Riboflavin, and Niacin are very inexpensive. Because of this they are routinely used to fortify breads, cereals, and even junk foods. Many products will use 500-3000 % of these vitamins to make their label look impressive but there is no nutritional rationale for doing it and this creates even more of an unbalanced Multi. Ideal ratio is 100-150% of each other. An excess of one B-vitamin could cause a relative deficiency of other B-vitamins and be injurious to your health. Therefore, it is important to remember to keep a balance for optimal health. Whole wheat bread when milled to white bread removes 11 of the B-vitamins out while enriched white bread puts back four of the cheapest B-vitamins. If you gave me 11 dollars and I gave you back 4 dollars would you feel enriched?

Rule (4)

The COPPER-TO-ZINC RATIO should be present in 100% to 100%. Ideally these two mineral should be present in a one-to-one ratio based on U.S. RDAís. If the company is paying close attention to micro-mineral research, this ratio will be present. High blood copper levels can depress zinc absorption, and high zinc intakes can reduce copper absorption. A zinc deficiency can cause eczema, susceptibility to infections, and white spots on the nails. A copper deficiency can cause water retention, irritability, brittle bones, and poor hair texture. Be sure of balance!

Rule (5)

Should contain adequate amounts of CALCIUM, MAGNESIUM, and PHOSPHORUS in 1 to 1 RATIO Calcium & these other minerals are not in themselves expensive but very bulky. Its the process to incorporate into tablets thatís difficult & expensive. We are being told to cut down on fat. Unfortunately many of our best sources of these minerals, such as many dairy products, come with quite a bit of fat attached. To compound this situation, in the late 1989 the RDA for Calcium was raised from 800 to 1200 mg. Adequate calcium has a role in preventing osteoporosis and maintaining strong bones, regulating heart beat, and necessary for nerve and muscle transmission. It has even been shown to play a part in blood pressure reduction and possibly the prevention of colon cancer. Magnesium and Phosphorus work hand in hand with Calcium.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...ules-find.html

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doobs View Post
    Some more info on multis, although I looked all over the place and couldn't find one that met all five conditions:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...ules-find.html
    These rules are somewhat stupid in my opinion. Because, you have to trust that the ratios are correct anyway... That is the point of this article. You can claim anything. A lot of these vitamins claim something they either don't have in them, or have added toxins and what not...

It is why I react to people when they have their exact calories dialed in. Because solid foods require more energy to breakdown versus liquid foods, or the fact that some carbohydrates contain 3 calories per gram, while others are 4 and some 4.5, etc... Calories in foods are just "estimates" which are subject to be in error at least 20% either way.

So, to put it simple...

1g = X is just an estimate, at least a 20% margin of error
    USDA Food label = 20% margin of error (more if they are not following the guidelines)
    Digesting Food = 5% - 30% less calories

So you have at least three areas where you have no fricking clue what end caloric value really is! So 2,500 calories ingested of one food source may very well only yield 1,500 calories when 2,500 of another source may yield as much as 3,000! Odd, isn't it? It is just that people don't realize that most things are just an estimate. Bleh, didn't mean to go off topic... But, hell it was my thread!
    Last edited by ArchAngel777; 01-25-2007 at 01:36 PM.

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    i take megamen from gnc...gnc is about to lose my business not worth paying the price
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

I take the gnc kind too... except for women

But the funny thing is I actually find myself getting sick more often when I'm taking vitamins as opposed to when I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    I know this thread is old but I used to buy these there so cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
    If it's good enough for the children it's good enough for me. Speaking of which, I should go get some.
    I almost had a heart attack when I saw this post. Then I realised the date.

RIP mate.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.