The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

the one real one

my journal. im going to keep this one because i have an internet connection that isnt going to go away after 3 months again...

anyways
    18 years old
    6'
    200lbs
    body fat % = ?

bench 1rm = 300 touch and go 285 competition
    squat 1rm = 405 atf.
    deadlift = i have no access to that for a while, havent done it in months

changes: i only squat atf anymore. i think my next meet (december) i will go atf there too since it will be my first meet in over 8 months. bench is finally moving up at a decent pace. no more 5lbs a month thank God.

background info: started jan 2004. i squatted 315parallel, benched 200 or so, deadlifted almost 400 at my peak last april i squatted 515 for a single, benched 285 competition, and deadlifted 535 competition. i then took 3 months off after bombing out on squat at high school nationals. i was so mad at myself i wanted to quit lifting. so i have been squatting again for about 3 weeks and im only at 405 but after 4 weeks my bench is back to where it was. i can no longer deadlift though, only rdl's etc... (i lift in my garage and cant crack the cement lol)
    also, when i was lifting all those big numbers, i was at a BW of 230. i would starve myself for a few days to make 220 weight class. (smart i know) when i quit lifting for 3 months i dieted down to 180 and now i weigh 200 even but can bench 300 again. i need to get my squat back up, and build my hammies up enough so i can start deadlifting again at a decent weight.

the midwest senior states is in december about a week before i turn 19. last year i went and took 2nd place, lost to a 34 year old. my goal this year isnt to win, but just crush all my old pr's (and do it raw) and show all those old folk what an 18 year old can do.

pics: only have a couple, and they arent your normal pics. as you can see, my legs have suffered. my back is doing decent because i can actually do pullups now, 10 in fact. compared to my old max of 1. arms are just growing faster than ever before.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by biggimp; 08-18-2005 at 09:36 PM.
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

yesterday i finished a little 4 week bench program and maxed out.
    BP: 135X8 165X6 205X4 235X2 300X1
    WORKING SETS BP: 235X8 235X6 235X4 235X4
    TRICEP EXTENSIONS: 65X15 85X10 95X8 100X6
    FOREARM CURLS: 135X15 155X12 165X9 165X6
    CLOSE GRIP BP: 135X8 145X8 155X8
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.

journal

today: squatting
    ATF SQUATS: 135X10 225X8 315X6 335X5
    ATF CLOSE-STANCE SQUATS: 225X10 250X10 (heels about 1 inch apart)
    BB CALF RAISES: 250X20 300X15 (on 2x4) 225x20 (on 2x4)

not bad, squat isnt moving up very much though. kind of scary

motivation for the day:
    Rock Quotes:

journal

Looking big bro. Those are some real sweet ATF squats. Real large quads to back em up too

thanks man i appreciate it. they used to be bigger. i guess i cant complain though because i was the one who decided to take 3 months off from legs.
    anyways,
    AUGUST 18 2005 (back/shoulders)
    SEATED SHOULDER PRESS: 95X12 115X10 135X8 pussed out on 145 hit it twice, sore shoulder.
    BB SHRUGS: 225X12 255X10 295X8 325X6 crap grip actually failed on last set
    PULLUPS: BWX7 BWX5 BWX3 what??? have an off night much?
    REVERSE FLIES: 25X10X2 30X10 35X10
    EZ BAR FRONT RAISE: 45X12 55X10 65X8

the reverse flies... uhh different? i have no dumbells so i used 25 and 35 lb plates lol. its hard because like with 30 lbs, you got to hold a 25 and a 5...

motivation (or something) for today:
    Rock Quotes:

journal

first day of freshman year of college today. arent you proud?

8/22/2005
    BENCH TRAINING
    BP: 135X10 185X8 230X6 260X3X3 260X2 (aiming for 260x4x4, this is okay because its the first workout, i will get there within 2 weeks hopefully)
    BP W/ 2 SEC. PAUSE: 185X8 230X4
    OVERHEAD TRICEP EXTENSIONS: 75X8 95X8 95X6
    EZ BAR PREACHER CURLS: 75X8 85X8
    CLOSE GRIP BP: 135X10 155X8 (doing really good on these, elbows are tucked entire range of the lift, isolates triceps really well)

motivation for the day:
    Anybody who sees and paints a sky green and pastures blue ought to be
    sterilized." - Adolf Hitler
    Rock Quotes:

journal

Where you going to college at?

university of nebraska at omaha.
    Rock Quotes:

journal

What are you studying?

im doing mechanical engineering, but im still a freshman so that might change yet.

today, legs
    ATF SQUAT REG. STANCE: 135X10 225X8 295X4 315X4
    ATF SQUAT CLOSE STANCE: 225X10 250X10 (heels about 1-2 inches apart)
    CALF RAISES OFF 2X4: 250X15 270X15X2
    BB FOREARM CURLS: 155X12 165X10 170X8

idk what happened, felt like vomiting after the squats. which made taking my post workout shake almost impossible. but whatever, its done with.

MOTO FOR TODAY:
    Rock Quotes:

journal

Quote Originally Posted by biggimp
    im doing mechanical engineering, but im still a freshman so that might change yet.

today, legs
    ATF SQUAT REG. STANCE: 135X10 225X8 295X4 315X4
    ATF SQUAT CLOSE STANCE: 225X10 250X10 (heels about 1-2 inches apart)
    CALF RAISES OFF 2X4: 250X15 270X15X2
    BB FOREARM CURLS: 155X12 165X10 170X8

idk what happened, felt like vomiting after the squats. which made taking my post workout shake almost impossible. but whatever, its done with.

MOTO FOR TODAY:
    If I were to go to school thats what I would like to study.

Real, real nice squats dude. I did close stances for a while but always found my knees going way in from of my toes so I just quit with them. you have any problem keeping your knees back and still sitting back going atf on that narrow of a squat?

nope none at all. my knees point the direction of my toes, they dont go in at all. however, when i use a wider stance, they go in all the time.
    Rock Quotes:

journal

nope none at all. my knees point the direction of my toes, they dont go in at all. however, when i use a wider stance, they go in all the time.
    Nah it wasn't so much a problem of them going in. More of me being able to sit back enough that when I drop ATF they would bend far past my toes, putting all the weight and stress on my knees.

yeah i know what you mean. i used to squat 515lbs (makes me sad to think of it) so i have a pretty good foundation to work with.

BENCH WORKOUT
    FLAT BB BENCH: 135X10 185X8 235X6 260X3X2 260X2X2
    3 BOARD PRESS: 225X2 250X2 265X2
    SKULLS: 75X8 85X8 95X4 75X8
    HANGING LEG RAISES: BWX8 BWX10 BWX12

not a bad workout for 11:00 pm
    Rock Quotes:

journal

SHOULDER WORKOUT:
    SEATED SHOULDER PRESS: 115X8 125X8 135X8
    FRONT PLATE RAISE: 45X8 50X8 55X8
    BB SHRUGS: 250X10 265X8 275X8 315X4
    REVERSE FLIES: 25X10 35X10 45X8X2
    SIDE BENDS: 90X8X3 (EA. SIDE)

good shoulder workout, threw the obliques in there too to make it interesting, heh. in the road to huge delts i guess.

moto:
    Last edited by biggimp; 08-28-2005 at 05:49 PM.
    Rock Quotes:

journal

man its been a couple days. ive had a bench workout and thats it. ive been waaay too busy with school and work. oh well i still do my pullups. i can hit 14 now. 20 by october.
    Rock Quotes:

journal

monday sept. 5. 2005
    bench/tris
    FLAT BENCH: 135X10 185X8 235X6 260X2X4
    BENCH W/ PAUSE: 185X5 225X4
    SKULLS: 85X6 75X8
    CABLE PUSHDOWNS: 90X8X2
    CHINS: BWX10X3
    AB MACHINE WORK

good day
    Rock Quotes:

journal

You got some strong benching bro. Where do you pause at?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

when you say where do i pause, do you mean what part of the rep or what part of the body? i pause at the bottom at my nipples for 2 seconds when im doing paused reps. for regular sets i dont pause, but i touch my nipples. and thanks for the compliment.

i have been messing around with pullups. i have never got into them but the past two weeks i have been just doing them a lot. anywhere from 1 set of 10 a day to three sets of ten, to weighted sets of 5 etc... feels like its working somewhat, ill have to make a more accurate assessment after i take a few days off.
    Rock Quotes:

journal

bench work
    BB BENCH: 135X10 185X8 235X6 255X2.5 255X3X2 255X2.5
    BB BENCH W PAUSE: 185X7 225X2
    SKULLS: 85X8X2
    CG BB BENCH: 165X8 155X6
    PULLUPS: BWX8X3
    Rock Quotes:

journal

bench work
    BB BENCH: 135X10 185X8 235X6 255X2.5 255X3X2 255X2.5
    BB BENCH W PAUSE: 185X7 225X2
    SKULLS: 85X8X2
    CG BB BENCH: 165X8 155X6
    PULLUPS: BWX8X3
    6 chest worksets
    4 tricep
    and only 3 for back?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

wasnt my back day. just chest/triceps. i threw in the pullups because im going to start doing them 2-3 times a week. my back day is posted up there somewhere. i think.
    Rock Quotes:

journal

mmmm mmmm squat day. feel like im making a comeback of sorts.
    SQUATS TO PARALLEL: 135X10 205X8 255X6 285X6 315X6 335X6
    BB CALF RAISES OFF 2X4: 255X10 275X15 295X17
    BB WRIST CURLS: 115X15 135X15 155X10 155X9
    HANGING LEG RAISES: BWX10X4

squats finally making a comeback. i havent even done them in 3 weeks! woohoo
    Last edited by biggimp; 05-09-2006 at 10:13 PM.
    Rock Quotes:

journal

thursday sept. 15th 2005
    bench day (weaksauce )
    BB BENCH: 135X10 185X8 230X6 255X3X3
    BB BENCH W/ PAUSE: 185X6 225X3
    SKULLS: 85X8 85X6 85X5
    CHINS: BWX8X4
    Rock Quotes:

journal

saturday sept 17th
    shoulder day!

SEATED BB SHOULDER PRESS: 105X8 115X8 125X8 135X7
    EZ BAR FRONT RAISE: 45X8 55X8 65X8
    BB SHRUGS: 135X10 245X8 255X8 265X8
    LATERAL RAISES: 20X8 22.5X8 25X8
    HANGING LEG RAISES: BWX10X4

lateral raises were weird, had to do the lower weights with plates (like 10, 5, 5 for 20lbs, 10, 5, 5, 2.5 for 22.5) man i need some DBs...
    Last edited by biggimp; 09-18-2005 at 02:33 PM.
    Rock Quotes:

journal