The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Squats and the smith machine

Does anyone include standard squats and smith machine squats in there workouts?

I tried squats on the smith machine last week and the usual muscle aches are more intense in my thighs. After normal squats I tend to ache in my hamstrings.

If I was to include both techniques would it give me a better upper leg workout?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

How low are you going on your squats? The problem with the smith is that it forces you into a fixed ROM which can cause problems. Your body needs to be able to move freely. If you're not going to parallel or lower, you're not gonna get the full benefit of the exercise. Just my $.02.

Banned
    The Smith machine isn't a good idea. As Nixxta said, it forced you into a fixed ROM. This results in weaker stabilizers and can caused back injuries. I don't think there is ever a good reason to use the smith machine.

Wannabebig Member
    I put my feet forward in the stance and leant back on the bar, this meant my back stayed straight and felt less pressure on my lower back and knees. I was able to go to parallel or more with the same amount of weight as the normal squat.

It was probably more like a hacksquat.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
    I put my feet forward in the stance and leant back on the bar, this meant my back stayed straight and felt less pressure on my lower back and knees. I was able to go to parallel or more with the same amount of weight as the normal squat.

It was probably more like a hacksquat.
    Still not good. The point is that the machine forces you to keep your back straight. If you do free weight squats, you lean forward as you go down. This is the natural movement. If you can freeweight squat, why do you want to do it in the smith machine anyways?

Squats in the smith machine will destroy your knees. When you squat the bar will not move in a perfectly vertical line perpendicular to the floor. Forcing yourself into this un-natural movement with any significant amount of weight on your back is a BAD idea.

Also, what are your set/reps like when doing squats? Besides going to parallel or lower, you need to make sure you're being challenged with the weight. The only person who will know this is you. If you're doing 5x5 or 3x6-8 with some decent weight, you should feel it.

Banned
    my gym doesnt have a sqauat rack. are smith mahines etter 2 use then nothing? BTW i can get as low as neesary wiith it.

Ask management about a squat rack... If they don't see a need for one, find another gym. This sounds sarcastic but I'm serious. I know it isn't realistic for everyone, but where I'm at there's a few not too far from me.
    If not, shoulder up some heavy dumb bells or clean the bar and do front squats. There's hack squats too, but I haven't done these myself so I can't comment too much on them.
    Last edited by Nixxta; 01-21-2007 at 12:23 PM.

Banned
    ok thanks.